Run The Damn Ball Kyle!!! 2020 49ers Offseason Thread.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Fixed. I miss that shyt. Before the greedy corporations took over. :hhh:

I just loved the Name Monster Park best though.

Remember that period when they changed the name of the stadium.

Candlestick
3Com
Monster Park from 04-08.

too bad those were some dark years but that was a dope ass name:wow:

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
I just loved the Name Monster Park best though.

Remember that period when they changed the name of the stadium.

Candlestick

3Com
Monster Park from 04-08.

too bad those were some dark years but that was a dope ass name:wow:
Candlestick wasn't dark years. They won all of their Super Bowls with that name. :gucci:

Been 0-2 in the Super Bowl since. :scust:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Today I want to take a look at our wide receiving corps.

Lets see where we're at and where we can go with these guys

Wide Receivers

Deebo Samuel:

As far as I am concerned Deebo is the #1 receiver on the team until proven other wise. Amassing over 800 yards in the air and another 150 on the ground. Deebo definitely reminds me of guys like Golden Tate or Anquan Boldon, someone who can catch and get yards from the behind the line of scrimmage. Deebo isn't the fastest guy on the field but he is usually one of the toughest. Deebo fights for the ball, is not afraid of contract and on top of that is an excellent route runner. One concern is that he may be a little fragile, He's had a somewhat lengthy injury history and college and he just broke his foot. I think Deebo may need to change his physique a little and slim down. It's clear he played big in college to take contact, as such he's about 215. He should drop to 205, still keeps him strong while reducing the strain of a maxed out frame. If he stays heathy though he will be a fine player for 10-12 years, elite, perhaps not but in the upper tier of NFL receivers.

Skills: A-
Performance: B+
Potential: B

Overall: B+

Brandon Aiyuk:

Another receiver in the mold of Deebo Samuel, 6'0 200lbs, all rounder type. Herm Edwards said once this kid gets the ball he's gone and the tape shows that. While I don't he's quite as physical as Deebo, I think he Brandon Aiyuk is faster (which is not to say Deebo is any type of turtle). But Brandon has rockets on his feet and he is what you call football fast. He ran a 4.5 on the combine but that is not an indicator of speed as, he looks a lot faster on the field. Also unlike Deebo, I think his route running is raw, and his tree will need to grow some branches as he was schemed into open field catches or go and out routes. But these can all be coached up especially for a player who only turned 22 in march. I think we picked up one of the high

Skills: B+
Performance: B
Potential: A

Overall: B+

Kendrick Bourne:

2017 undrafter free agents. Which seems to almost be a draft class and and of itself. Due to numerous injuries and a lack of depth Kendrick Bourne was called up from the practice squad, where he has since amassed over 1100 receiveing yards and 9 TDs. Thats essentially 3rd round round production hell he's produced more than 1st rounder John Ross and has identical stats to Zay Jones of the Buffalo Bills (2nd rounder). Bourne has dropped some passes but as he's made many more key passes. He has great leaping ability and makes most uncontested catches. His ceiling is basically where is at right now, but guys like Kendrick are key to a teams success. He fills in the margins and has to be accounted for especially with the Red Zone. I think depending on how he does this season, it would be wise for the team to work out a contract to keep him. He's only 25 (by season's start) and is a known quantity and would be a cheap 3rd or depth receiver.

Skills: B-
Performance: B-
Potential: C+

Overall B-

Dante Pettis:

This is a make or break year for Dante Pettis. Former 2018 2nd Round draft pick is in Shanny's doghouse. After a pretty impressive 2018, Dante has seemed to take a step back in every way possible, his routes were lazy, his blocking was non existent, making him a liability and he didn't make much effort to catch the ball outside of the game winning catch against the Steelers. I think he will get a real shot to stay on the team because he has real talent and an elite skillset but that doesn't matter if mentally the fire isn't there. He is not the first talented player to fizzle out because his heart wasn't in the game of football. I think Dante will have to look like one of the best players on the field in camp and preseason or at least look like a player that gives a damn otherwise else he'll be cut.

Skills: A
Performance: F
Potential: B+

Overall: C

Jalen Hurd:

I think Jalen Hurd is either going to be a star player and be the best receiver we have had since TO or I think he is going to be a bust and there is no in between. After looking like a potential monster in pre-season last year, Jalen Hurd ended up in injured reserve with back issues. Not wanting to take any risked the team essentially redshirted him last year and that was fine, the team was successful. I will bet on the former as I tend to be an optimist. Luckily the team is loaded at receiver and oddly enough the COVID has allowed him to rest his body and recover on his terms. At 24 years old, he could easily get back to too full health and become a huge scary weapon. Jalen is a man among boys, in college he was lined up where ever he needed to be and made plays. He's a little raw as a receiver but again that will be coached up. Really he just needs to get out there and play NFL football, with so much talent already on the team, he's going to make plays, he can go around you with his speed and make guys miss but he's not afraid to power through defenders and he's shown himself to be a nasty blocker. I hope he's healthy because he breaks the game wide open if healthy,

Skills: B for BOOM
Performance: WE'LL SEE (INC)
Potential: Scary

Overall: C or A tough call

Trent Taylor:

Trent Taylor was a ray of hope in the receiving corp in 2017 where as the team was otherwise pretty dismal. With that said he has been constantly sidelined by injuries and has spend more time in recovery from multiple surgeries than on the field. Again this COVID crisis may have been a blessing in disquise for him as he got to recover on his terms. Trent at his best has some shades of Julian Edelman and a little Steve Smith, but he has to make the field. It's clear Lynch and Shanny have a soft spot for him as the haven't injury waived him or cut him. Also Taylor has been working with Wes Welker who was a great undersized receiver in his own right My prediction is that he will play in the NFL but I think he is the odd man out of the 49ers. I just think there is too much beef at the receiver spot that wasn't there and a lot of younger players with more upside. A lot like Pettis, Taylor is going to have to outshone all the 1st and 2nd years as well as fellow veteran Kendrick Bourne to have a real spot on the team.

Skills: C+
Performance: D-
Potential: C

Overall: C-

Richie James Jr.

Former 7th round pick has nestled himself as the teams primary return man. He can also serve as a receiver in an emergency role, but while I think he has excellent speed and greatly improved route running. It's clear he's simply to slight to line up at receiver on a regular basis. He's 5'10 185 lbs but it's clear he doesn't have the frame to pack on any more weight and is better served in a position where he can do damage in the open field.

Skills: C-
Performance: C
Potential: D

Overall: C-

Jauan Jennings

23 year old rookie from Tennesee. 7th round pick in the 2020 draft. This is an intriguing pick. I've seen him on tape and what stand out is his grit and toughness. He plays through the whistle, looks for contact and can grind down defenders into dust. What also stands out are 2 things. He's not fast, at all. I'm not saying he's slow per se but he doesn't burst out of his routes and he doesn't make defenders miss BUT give him some open field and like your granddaddy's Caddy, he will crush opposing defenders once he gets going. He almost plays like a tight end more than receiver but that is fine. I think for him to make the most of his opportunity in the pros is that he needs to refine his route tree because if not he's going to be chipped by speedier line backers and safeties and he needs to stay out of trouble off the field. As such he could very well possibly be a draft steal like George Kittle if he becomes half of what he could be. He has all the raw tools needed to be a menace on the field.

Skills: C+
Performane: C
Potential: B+

Overall: B-

Travis Benjamin

9 year NFL veteran from the U. Travis Benjamin had a somewhat promising career only to fade into obscurity. Travis is a speedy receiver but but hands that appear to be covered in astroglide. He hasn't been able to stay on a team because of his dropsies. I expect him to be a camp body and little else.

Skills: D-
Performance: D-
Potential: F

Overall: F

Shawn Poindexter

2019 UDFA. Shawn Poindexter was an intriguing pickup. Coming out out of Arizona State, he had a so-so career and a lengthy injury history BUT you can't teach size and at 6'5 215. He has plenty of it. He tore an ACL in the 1st preseason game so he's had the year to rehab and pickup Kyle's terminology. Poindexter could be a late bloomer at year 2 or 3, and it's ok to invest time in his development because if he can get and stay healthy he could see time as a gadget TE or in jumbo formations or be a special teams player.

Skills: D
Performance: D
Potential: B-

Overall D+

Chris Finke

UDFA from Notre Dame. Camp body. I don't think he has much future in the NFL as player. In all honesty I could see him getting a few snaps and maybe being stashed away on the practice squad. I can also see him potentially ending up on a coaching pipeline with the 49ers. He's a so-so athlete but he made plays seeing the seams in the defenses and taking advantage of other players tendencies. in other words he's book smart and football smart to make up for his lack of size and athleticism. Who knows but there is something the scouts saw in this kid to bring him in

Skills: D
Potential F

Overall: F

Chris Thompson

At this point he basically has a chance to make the roster as a special teams player. He hasn't seen much action as a receiver.

Skills: F
Potential: F

Overall F

Unit Analysis:

Again this unit just got deeper with some savvy picks in the draft and and in the UDFA piles. Hell if only Jalen Hurd gets healthy and nothing else it changes the complexion of the offense. We have other potential big body receivers in Shawn Poindexter and Jauan Jennings who could be diamonds in the rough as well. It's clear ShannyLynch are trying to build a carefully crafted roster of receivers and it's clear Lynch believes the team culture is strong enough to take on talented players who have specialties or unique physical traits for Kyle to build upon. Jimmy G has a no shortage of fun targets to throw to and best part about it they all have room to get even better.

Overall Grade: B+

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Aiyuk and deebo the same grade :usure:

giphy.gif

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Aiyuk and deebo the same grade :usure:

I think Aiyuk has just as much upside, I don't think think I am exagerrating thinking they could be our own sort of Torry **** and Isaac Bruce, health permitting (which is an issue with us). They are kind of like Ryu and Ken similar but different.

Last edited:

South Paw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CML
I think Aiyuk has just as much upside, I don't think think I am exagerrating thinking they could be our own sort of Torry **** and Isaac Bruce, health permitting (which is an issue with us). They are kind of like Ryu and Ken similar but different.
Yeah I see the comp for sure, just surprised a proven talent in deebo would be looked at the same as a rookie

Aiyuk screams either boom or bust to me, some might say he's just a pac-12 bum :camby:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Yeah I see the comp for sure, just surprised a proven talent in deebo would be looked at the same as a rookie

Aiyuk screams either boom or bust to me, some might say he's just a pac-12 bum :camby:

I don't know if he'll produce as quickly as Deebo did, and keep in mind a lot of injuries kind of forced him to the forefront last year, but I think he could be just as nice down the line while bringing that added homerun dimension to the offense.