Rumor Xbox Series X could play games from the Steam and Epic Store

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So Microsoft doesn't care about the games they sell on their own Xbox store? If they actually slow this win 10 mode the most I can see happening is allowing a locked down S mode to prevent people from downloading and installing non MS store apps.
If they cared so much about their store games like that why allow them all to be available to play on a $9.99 a month gamepass and why is stuff like Gears 5 on Steam?

Nobody is buying an Xbox to play Steam and Epic store games anyway. Them allowing full blown Windows won't hurt their sales.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If they cared so much about their store games like that why allow them all to be available to play on a $9.99 a month gamepass and why is stuff like Gears 5 on Steam?

Nobody is buying an Xbox to play Steam and Epic store games anyway. Them allowing full blown Windows won't hurt their sales.
All the games that's available on Xbox isn't on Game pass so I'm not sure why you said all.

Secondly, some 1st party titles on Steam doesn't invalidate the claim that they'd lose money allowing an outside store to sell their own version of a game to be played on Xbox.
If they position this Series X as a blur between a PC/Games console then that's the only way I can see this taking place. These guys are businesses at the end of the day. MSFT is getting something out of selling on Steam but that's only because Steam is huge. You don't see Halo being sold on the EA store or Epic games store. Why's that?

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
So Microsoft doesn't care about the games they sell on their own Xbox store? If they actually slow this win 10 mode the most I can see happening is allowing a locked down S mode to prevent people from downloading and installing non MS store apps.

I would imagine, that if this was possible each store would partition its games similar to how gamepass has different Xbox and pc gamepass games.

You could maybe have a deal in place where steam can only sell certain games on the Xbox platform.

If that was possible then errbody can eat :noah:

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I doubt this is true, but given the new relationship between steam and microsoft to release first party titles, I'm sure they could detect if you buy through an Xbox and then split the 30% cut steam takes. The massive new customer base would be worth it to steam.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
get sold a pc but call it a console even though everybody who would buy one is on their knees praying they get access to game stores that are for pc brehs

Imagine all the console players when that first steam summer sale drop and now they have the option to buy 1000's of games anywhere from 25 to 75 % off :wow:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

Don’t get ur hopes up fam. U nikkas is literally reaching for the stars to make this move make sense. With the first major Steam sale Microsoft would instantly regret it. With all the free games Epic Store offers. A lot of the time u can get Steam Codes and get the games for huge discounts even before release. nikkas wouldn’t really have any incentive to use the MS Store.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don’t get ur hopes up fam. U nikkas is literally reaching for the stars to make this move make sense. With the first major Steam sale Microsoft would instantly regret it. With all the free games Epic Store offers. A lot of the time u can get Steam Codes and get the games for huge discounts even before release. nikkas wouldn’t really have any incentive to use the MS Store.
Some people are really not thinking.

MSFT's goal is to tie people into gamepass they say.

Why would they allow you to bypass that by getting free games on Epic Games store and buying games to keep from Steam, entirely cutting them out of the pie? Like, wtf is some people smoking to think they'd let MSFT say okay to that? :mindblown:

Jchr is

Banned
Daps
Microsoft is not known for being this benevolent but it seems like next gen is going to be a real fight for consumer hearts and minds so I dunno.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
They been getting friendly with Nintendo as well and I think their streaming service will be on the Switch when it is released.