Rough night - 22mm , Girls Trip - 108mm ...did / can Hollywood learn anything from this?

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
You need a lot of capital. Also, you have existing competition actively trying to stop you. It's extremely difficult.

Black folks do not have a problem with proximity to capital. We just really like to give it away.

Black Buying Power To Reach $1.3 Trillion By 2017

We have been conditioned into believing that there is power in consuming versus producing. Why create a competitor to "Hollywood" (Sony, Universal, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube) when we can continually spend our dollars with them?

We organize our capital to spend it with whites, only to later complain about white supremacy. This makes no sense at all.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Black folks do not have a problem with proximity to capital. We just really like to give it away.

Black Buying Power To Reach $1.3 Trillion By 2017

We have been conditioned into believing that there is power in consuming versus producing. Why create a competitor to "Hollywood" (Sony, Universal, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube) when we can continually spend our dollars with them?

We organize our capital to spend it with whites, only to later complain about white supremacy. This makes no sense at all.
OK, sell Black people short then if that's what suits you. Can't wait for your independent studio's first release. :salute:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
OK, sell Black people short then if that's what suits you. Can't wait for your independent studio's first release. :salute:

Selling black people short is the practice of aggressively routing our hard-earned dollars to "Hollywood" (Sony, Universal, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube), desiring to increase their bottom-line in exchange for "feeling included."

Don Cornelius did not want to be a dancer on American Bandstand. He wanted his own, better version. He created Soul Train, a better show.

The traditional film business is dying, and you want to save it as dutiful employees? Okay.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, the reason is that his films are absolutely embarrassing bafoonery.

this is not true at all....the only movies like that are the movies were madea is the main character of the movie...the others that dont involve the character and/or isnt the main character, are nothing like that....the only staple/reoccurring theme of tyler's films is that they are heavy on religiously keeping the faith, that's it....while i think he goes overboard with it at times, compared to other reoccurring themes in movies, it's cool.....

anyway, people that dont fukk with his movies and/or wanna knock what he's done business wise only use madea and the antics of the character to paint a broad stroke over all his work...and it's bullshyt....i might not dig all his movies, but i support the brotha cause he's doing the shyt people talk about that we should be doing: creating our own, while employing our own.....

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
this is not true at all....the only movies like that are the movies were madea is the main character of the movie...the others that dont involve the character and/or isnt the main character, are nothing like that....the only staple/reoccurring theme of tyler's films is that they are heavy on religiously keeping the faith, that's it....while i think he goes overboard with it at times, compared to other reoccurring themes in movies, it's cool.....

anyway, people that dont fukk with his movies and/or wanna knock what he's done business wise only use madea and the antics of the character to paint a broad stroke over all his work...and it's bullshyt....i might not dig all his movies, but i support the brotha cause he's doing the shyt people talk about that we should be doing: creating our own, while employing our own.....
I am not discounting his business accumen or his impact. But if the face of your brand is Madea can't fukk with your product. Yes he makes other films...Madea and the Madea movies is the face of his brand, and I can't ride with that. I respect his success but that's as far as I go.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Selling black people short is the practice of aggressively routing our hard-earned dollars to "Hollywood" (Sony, Universal, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube), desiring to increase their bottom-line in exchange for "feeling included."

Don Cornelius did not want to be a dancer on American Bandstand. He wanted his own, better version. He created Soul Train, a better show.

The traditional film business is dying, and you want to save it as dutiful employees? Okay.
I just said it was more difficult than you are making it seem. You are basically shytting on everyone Black current efforts. If it's not that hard, do better than those currently trying. :manny:
I'll be first in line to support. :salute:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I just said it was more difficult than you are making it seem. You are basically shytting on everyone Black current efforts. If it's not that hard, do better than those currently trying. :manny:
I'll be first in line to support. :salute:

"Efforts" are fine, but there are no participation trophies in life. Just results.

Our emphasis is always focused on getting "Hollywood" to do better for us -- very rarely on developing avenues in which we control and profit (when appropriate) on our works.

See I believe that we ARE capable of developing the next Apple or Netflix. But that can't be achieved when your real goal is to be a worker one day at Apple or Netflix, and to bathe in "acceptance."

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
"Efforts" are fine, but there are no participation trophies in life. Just results.

Our emphasis is always focused on getting "Hollywood" to do better for us -- very rarely on developing avenues in which we control and profit (when appropriate) on our works.

See I believe that we ARE capable of developing the next Apple or Netflix. But that can't be achieved when your real goal is to be a worker one day at Apple or Netflix, and to bathe in "acceptance."
That sounds great especially on a messageboard. Hopefully you're about that and not just shooting the breeze about it. The world is waiting. :mjgrin: