Rough night - 22mm , Girls Trip - 108mm ...did / can Hollywood learn anything from this?

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You realize it takes money to do this shyt right? Or are we going to pretend as if fair business loans are easy for black folks to acquire all of a sudden. There's also the issue of distribution which is much more complicated than some of you seem to realize.

The problem with what you're saying is that you making it sound like shyt is easy when it's anything but that.

And like I said Tyler Perry has been able to do exactly what the fukk you're talking about and all people do is shyt on him. Dude has his own production and film studio, all his films turn a profit, and they're marketed almost exclusively to black folks.....and all I ever see is people shytting on that guy.
Yes. You realize Black people have money right? Black people have plenty of access to money, and you don't always need as much money as people who have never tried think you need in the first place.

You don't start with $100 million films breh, you build your way up. Or you pool resources together with like-minded people.

As far as Tyler Perry goes, you should re-read my original post here. I'm in agreement with you. Tyler Perry is the prime example. He is someone who did what you should do, and instead he gets shytted on by other Black people and called c00n for some out-of-this-world ridiculous reason. And then you got to deal with the group of people (like yourself) who will discourage Black people from starting in the first place. shyt is an uphill climb, but really there is no other choice. shyt isn't SUPPOSED to be easy, that's the point. You have to struggle for success, and then it's easier for the next generation, and easier for the one after that, on and on, but it's got to start with somebody.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tyler Perry has his own studios, green lights his own movies and only uses corporate America for distribution. What's his reputation among a lot of Black folks who are film experts? :jbhmm:
What is your point?

We are in agreement on that.

Also, quality of film (subjective, I enjoy most of his work that I've seen personally) and business foundation building are two completely separate discussions. Unless you think that the reason Black "film experts" are only shytting on Tyler's films because he is independent, which personally I think there is at least a contingent that do.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
I think Hollywood already knows they can release black comedies for under 50 million and make it profit. Let's not forget though about Detroit and Birth of a Nation though, in both cases the producers pissed off black women and flopped heavy.

The real lesson here is to appeal to black women and they'll drag their boyfriends and husbands to the theater with them.

Studios don't push black films in international markets.

More like international markets are on the :mjpls:.

Remember where Finn was on the Asian poster for Force Awakens?

CVKqHACVAAASw9I.jpg

CVKqHACUYAIDqpX.jpg

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i wont even front for a second on yall
i liked that Madea Halloween shyt
:pachaha:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes. You realize Black people have money right? Black people have plenty of access to money, and you don't always need as much money as people who have never tried think you need in the first place.

You don't start with $100 million films breh, you build your way up. Or you pool resources together with like-minded people.

As far as Tyler Perry goes, you should re-read my original post here. I'm in agreement with you. Tyler Perry is the prime example. He is someone who did what you should do, and instead he gets shytted on by other Black people and called c00n for some out-of-this-world ridiculous reason. And then you got to deal with the group of people (like yourself) who will discourage Black people from starting in the first place. shyt is an uphill climb, but really there is no other choice. shyt isn't SUPPOSED to be easy, that's the point. You have to struggle for success, and then it's easier for the next generation, and easier for the one after that, on and on, but it's got to start with somebody.

I'm not even talking about $100 million dollar films. Even low budget indie fare typically requires people taking out a small loan and nearly driving themselves to bankruptcy to get a film made. Getting people to invest in a single film is INCREDIBLY difficult because you're investing in something that only exists as a idea, most people period aren't willing to do that.

There's also still the issue of distribution.

With all that said there a TONS of independent black films out there being made........that nobody is watching.

My overall point is that people have been trying to do exactly what you're talking about for DECADES. It's not remotely as easy as you're making it out to be.

*edit*

And in regards to Tyler Perry, it has to be kept in mind that he started out as a playwright. Most of his films are just film adaptations of his players or ideas he had for plays. He built up a solid fan base for over a decade with his plays and they're his core audience.

So unlike others he's not really coming straight into this as a filmmaker. He had success in another arena and translated it to film.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not even talking about $100 million dollar films. Even low budget indie fare typically requires people taking out a small loan and nearly driving themselves to bankruptcy to get a film made. Getting people to invest in a single film is INCREDIBLY difficult because you're investing in something that only exists as a idea, most people period aren't willing to do that.

There's also still the issue of distribution.

With all that said there a TONS of independent black films out there being made........that nobody is watching.

My overall point is that people have been trying to do exactly what you're talking about for DECADES. It's not remotely as easy as you're making it out to be.

*edit*

And in regards to Tyler Perry, it has to be kept in mind that he started out as a playwright. Most of his films are just film adaptations of his players or ideas he had for plays. He built up a solid fan base for over a decade with his plays and they're his core audience.

So unlike others he's not really coming straight into this as a filmmaker. He had success in another arena and translated it to film.
You literally aren't disagreeing with me at all. You're just saying it's difficult. I acknowledged it. Nobody said it was easy. But it should be a lot easier hunting for your own food than stressing over whether someone else is going to feed you or not.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
What is your point?

We are in agreement on that.

Also, quality of film (subjective, I enjoy most of his work that I've seen personally) and business foundation building are two completely separate discussions. Unless you think that the reason Black "film experts" are only shytting on Tyler's films because he is independent, which personally I think there is at least a contingent that do.
You asked who is stopping them. No one, it is being done. :yeshrug:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
:comeon:

Why do some of yall stay on this bullshyt. Black folks have been trying this for decades. Hell the most successful person in this regard is a guy that is regularly shytted on by black film fans and Coli posters.

Other than Tyler Perry, who has had long term distribution deals with companies like Lionsgate, what black folks
"for decades" have been trying to build our own versions of Lionsgate, instead of assimilating our art and revenue
in white "Hollywood"?

How did Netflix become such a film platform powerhouse in less than a decade, overtaking the traditional Hollywood business model that we want black talent to continually run to?

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot

Some of us are completely brainwashed that only whites, Asians and those in foreign markets (Nollywood, Bollywood) can build industries.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Other than Tyler Perry, who has had long term distribution deals with companies like Lionsgate, what black folks
"for decades" have been trying to build our own versions of Lionsgate, instead of assimilating our art and revenue
in white "Hollywood"?

How did Netflix become such a film platform powerhouse in less than a decade, overtaking the traditional Hollywood business model that we want black talent to continually run to?
You need a lot of capital. Also, you have existing competition actively trying to stop you. It's extremely difficult.