Rough night - 22mm , Girls Trip - 108mm ...did / can Hollywood learn anything from this?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Just looked at the cast of Rough Night, Scar Jo fukked up her brand with Ghost in the Shell. She needs to chill for a minute.
Curious do Black folks fukk with Eric Andre or nah?! Only time I heard him talked about in RL was by white people.
Lowkey, outside of Lucy we may need to check them receipts on Scar's brand. I was pointing it out back in 2013 that Black Widow and "Robin" teamed up for a rom com but still lost their opening weekend at the box office to Paula Patton and Boris Kodjoe :dame:

Baggage Claim - 9.03 million
Don Jon - 8.6 million

Don John did finish it's run with 24 mil domestic while Baggage Claim finished with 21... but that was the supposed budding white star power on display lol. Now 4 years later and it's still comedy stinkers.

Even tho it did bank, I think Lucy was where she messed up bc it looked fresh and interesting, which got ppl hyped, but most who watched it said it was beyond terrible. At that point, they prob looked at Ghost in the Shell and were like :ld:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Hidden Figures
Get Out
Girl's Trip
Black Panther on Valentine's Weekend :whew:

I'm still reserved/cautiously optimistic until I see trailers for them but I want Boyega's Pacific Rim 2 and that Miles Morales animated film to BOTH do numbers as well.

That's that diversity in black starring roles that we haven't had consistently since probably the 90s.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I legit didn't know what Rough Night was until I clicked into this thread.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just looked at the cast of Rough Night, Scar Jo fukked up her brand with Ghost in the Shell. She needs to chill for a minute.
Curious do Black folks fukk with Eric Andre or nah?! Only time I heard him talked about in RL was by white people.

Her brand was never that strong to begin with.

People always point to how well Lucy did, but ignore all the flops she had before that. That broad has never really been a box office draw.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Why should "Hollywood" be learning anything from this?

How about "Atlanta" revving-up its black-owned film production system to respond
to the market demand?

Where is black America's "Nollywood"? No desire for that independence, apparently.

Or is it that we really just want "Hollywood" (Ron Meyer, Michael Lynton, Harvey Weinstein, Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg) to earn even bigger profits off of black artistry?

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hidden Figures
Get Out
Girl's Trip
Black Panther on Valentine's Weekend :whew:

I'm still reserved/cautiously optimistic until I see trailers for them but I want Boyega's Pacific Rim 2 and that Miles Morales animated film to BOTH do numbers as well.

That's that diversity in black starring roles that we haven't had consistently since probably the 90s.
Hopefully Proud Mary does good too next year

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hollywood already knows there's a huge domestic market for films with coloured people. That don't mean shyt though. They will still make majority white washed films cause that's what the cacs in charge want.
Exactly.

Y'all still thinking this film shyt is business first. Nah, it's PROPAGANDA first. These CAC films are always going to get pushed out first until Black people take shyt into their own hands (of course, the ones who do that get hated on even harder by Black people.... Tyler Perry being the prime example).

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:comeon:How come we don't say this whenever a black movie does good.

We gotta wait years and years before they make sequels to our shyt. Unless it's starring Kevin Hart.
We don't gotta wait for shyt.

This is what happens when you let another group of people control your destiny. Nobody is stopping Black people from taking control in the film business, or any other business for that matter. Kevin Hart doesn't have to wait for sequels because Kevin Hart has taken a controlling interest in his career instead of just waiting for a Jew to hand him a role.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why should "Hollywood" be learning anything from this?

How about "Atlanta" revving-up its black-owned film production system to respond
to the market demand?

Where is black America's "Nollywood"? No desire for that independence, apparently.

Or is it that we really just want "Hollywood" (Ron Meyer, Michael Lynton, Harvey Weinstein, Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg) to earn even bigger profits off of black artistry?

:comeon:

Why do some of yall stay on this bullshyt. Black folks have been trying this for decades. Hell the most successful person in this regard is a guy that is regularly shytted on by black film fans and Coli posters.

It takes a LOT of time, money and yes collaboration with major entities to get an entire film industry off the ground. It doesn't help matters that the same people on that "Make our own stuff" bullshyt are the same ones that go out of their way to shyt on stuff made by black folks.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We don't gotta wait for shyt.

This is what happens when you let another group of people control your destiny. Nobody is stopping Black people from taking control in the film business, or any other business for that matter. Kevin Hart doesn't have to wait for sequels because Kevin Hart has taken a controlling interest in his career instead of just waiting for a Jew to hand him a role.

:what::dead:

And Kevin Hart does have to wait to make sequels to actual films. His concert movies are a different animal than feature length films. Kevin Hart's actual films are still produced and distributed by major Hollywood studios.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:what::dead:

And Kevin Hart does have to wait to make sequels to actual films. His concert movies are a different animal than feature length films. Kevin Hart's actual films are still produced and distributed by major Hollywood studios.
Who is stopping Black people from making films/starting or running businesses breh? I'll wait. Stop the victim/underling mentality.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who is stopping Black people from making films/starting or running businesses breh? I'll wait. Stop the victim/underling mentality.

You realize it takes money to do this shyt right? Or are we going to pretend as if fair business loans are easy for black folks to acquire all of a sudden. There's also the issue of distribution which is much more complicated than some of you seem to realize.

The problem with what you're saying is that you making it sound like shyt is easy when it's anything but that.

And like I said Tyler Perry has been able to do exactly what the fukk you're talking about and all people do is shyt on him. Dude has his own production and film studio, all his films turn a profit, and they're marketed almost exclusively to black folks.....and all I ever see is people shytting on that guy.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Tyler Perry has his own studios, green lights his own movies and only uses corporate America for distribution. What's his reputation among a lot of Black folks who are film experts? :jbhmm: