RollingStones 50 Worst Decisions in TV History

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Think how much the landscape of TV changes if Sopranos is on network TV.

No Mad Men, no Breaking Bad, the Shield, does HBO become the go to for elite tv?
Probably The Wire never gets made

No Sopranos and I think prestige tv is delayed for awhile. Only question is how long.

I think HBO still would have became the goat for it tho...

but we would probably see an entirely different line up. No Wire, 6feet Under, True Blood, True Detective, etc

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
The GEICO shyt was stupid in real time, especially when ABC cancelled George Lopez's show to do it. The cavemen show got deaded early and George Lopez became one of the first shows that blew up after it got cancelled.

Trump at #2 screams "a liberal came up with this." Trump becoming a star off the Apprentice is NOT why he eventually became President. If anything, him being butthurt over Obama and not being allowed to buy the Bills became more of the impetus for him to run for President.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
No Sopranos and I think prestige tv is delayed for awhile. Only question is how long.

I think HBO still would have became the goat for it tho...

but we would probably see an entirely different line up. No Wire, 6feet Under, True Blood, True Detective, etc

Probably delayed at least a decade or more. Sopranos gave HBO a lot of room to take risks on additional shows. The Wire was never all that popular when it was running and didn't "do #'s" and shows like Sopranos helped carry HBO from a financial standpoint to allow for less pop culture sensation type of shows that were still dope af.

Sopranos was the model for a lot of other shows too, There's no Walter White w/o first having a Tony Soprano, and that's words directly from Brian Cranson .

Can't forget how important OZ was for HBO as well.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Probably delayed at least a decade or more. Sopranos gave HBO a lot of room to take risks on additional shows. The Wire was never all that popular when it was running and didn't "do #'s" and shows like Sopranos helped carry HBO from a financial standpoint to allow for less pop culture sensation type of shows that were still dope af.

Sopranos was the model for a lot of other shows too, There's no Walter White w/o first having a Tony Soprano, and that's words directly from Brian Cranson .

Can't forget how important OZ was for HBO as well.
yeah OZ did normalize the shyt out of nudity for HBO shows :pachaha:

:dame:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
TNT had a reasonable reason to turn it down. Showtime had a legit reason. The FX dude seems to have learned from his mistakes.

But HBO fukked up and I hope that person got fired.
Yeah at least in Showtime and FX's cases they felt like they were overindexing on the subject matter. HBO was just stupid.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The Seinfeld story is really crazy in hindsight. There was no reason for NBC to want to keep it, but somebody really wanted it to succeed. That almost never happens, especially back then. Seinfeld went from being just another forgotten sitcom that would have been the subject of a YouTube video to one of the most beloved sitcoms of all-time.

These networks know what they're doing. If they want a show to make it, they'll do whatever they can. When Friends was months away from airing, Jennifer Aniston wasn't cast as Rachel because she was in another sitcom. Had that show lasted, somebody else would have gotten the part. The CBS and NBC executives struck a deal to air a movie of the week at the same time Jennifer's sitcom was airing, knowing those movies were popular and would steal ratings. They literally sabotaged an entire sitcom just so Jennifer could play Rachel, because they knew Friends had potential to be a big hit.
This is correct, though they didn't make a deal with CBS - NBC just went rogue and counterprogrammed to ensure it would fail.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
HBO passed on a few shows that went on to be hits

Mad Men
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

An HBO The Walking Dead would have been insane. I was looking up the ratings for TWD and they were crazy for a show about some zesty Atlanta zombies. It was the #1 or #2 scripted cable series every year since 2010. HBO would have allowed the show to be as gritty as the comic.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
An HBO The Walking Dead would have been insane. I was looking up the ratings for TWD and they were crazy for a show about some zesty Atlanta zombies. It was the #1 or #2 scripted cable series every year since 2010. HBO would have allowed the show to be as gritty as the comic.
Walking Dead and Preacher on HBO would have been :banderas:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Zombies were kinda on the rise (I Am Legend dropped in 07, 28 Days/Weeks Later) at the time the show came around. I don’t know how HBO missed an easy layup. :scust:

Most of These network execs don’t know shyt. How are They even in a position of power like that? :snoop: