Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
First time watching an action movie where every damn character dies :ohhh:

First thing I brought up to my girl as the movie ended.

Then i went home and plowed her from the rear with my proverbial light saber.

Ya deeg?!?!

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Remember in ANH hope, that scene of Luke looking longingly at the two suns setting? That perfectly sums up the mundane nature of his life, and how he dreams of seeing, doing, and being more. ANH hope has just a few minutes of Luke’s normal life before things begin to escalate, but those few minutes paint clearly what he is, a smalltown kid with dreams.

Jyn never gets that moment. We see WHAT happens to her as a child (but not necessarily her personality, but we do see her mothers so we can understand where she gets her adult traits from), but when we cut to her as an adult, she’s a prisoner immediately being broken fee and things start to escalate. We get things flatout explained to us through dialog later (she was a good soldier, Forrest wanted to protect her or something). She talks about being lonely, but all we see of her she is surrounded by people.

People say she is selfish and a criminal and so on, but from the jump all we see of her is being heroic. She attacks the people who tried to break her out, but that’s just the most minute glimpse of a moment.

When people talk about the lack of character development in this movie, it’ll be because we never see just who she was before her heroic turn, and thus…it’s really not much of a turn if we don’t know what we’re going from.

Yes she was in a prison transport, but how did she get there? Was she an unwilling criminal? A shrewd one? A robin hood? Cold blooded? Taken in by a band of crooks who were her only family? Was she happy? Did she want to change her life? Was she a natural leader? Follower? How did she get captured? Made a sacrifice for someone? Sold out by someone she loved, that she hated? Had she tried to escape? Do it by herself? Try to organize a riot? Try to get people to start some shyt to draw attention so she could selfishly escape herself? Did she hate capture? Feel she deserved punishment for her life? Deserve to be alone?

You don’t need all of that, but like, one or two scenes at 2-4 minutes total illustrating any one of those things before she’s broken out of that transport just so we have a base and can identify with her on some level before this adventure begins.

Only other character whose development bothered me was the pilot. Defecting from the Empire is a massive deal, but he kinda just does it. And he suffers for it. He gets tortured by an extremist for wanting to do some good in the world. If we really felt and understood where he was coming from, knowing he was going to be tortured just to find out he was telling the truth could have been one of the most gripping scenes in the movie. It also hurts Forrest’s character, because we know nothing about the pilot, we don’t feel any type of way really about it happened.

We see Finn through his entire decision to turn sides. Imagine if when he got to the rebel base he was tortured for lying about being a rebel? Whoever made that decision you’d have a strong feeling either way about them then there, as you’ve seen exactly what sacrifices Finn went through just to get there, including saving the lives of random strangers.

I loved Rogue One, think it’s better than TFA and the prequels hands down. But when talking about character development, those are the things people are talking about (even if they don’t know exactly quite how to articulate it). Even just coming down to feeling, there’s just something missing in the movie until everyone gets together at Jeddah. And that something is great establishing scenes that really draw you into the world we’re in and the people in them. Which is a shame, as the opening is amazing, and Cassian’s introduction is perfect. You know EXACTLY who he is from that scene in the alley.

Can’t say that for the main character.

EDIT: Wow this turned into an essay.

Well said.

By the end of TFA you know every characters name.

The he characters in this movie are:
Jyn
K-2S0
The Blind Asian Guy
The Asian with the gun
The Mexican Guy
Forest Whitaker
Madds Mikelsen
Riz Ahmed Aka The Pilot that doesnt fly

:heh:

Just poorly developed characters. ( I actually know some of their names now just from listening to so many podcast reviews)

I really think the first act or 2 would have been doper if they didn't fukk with it. Clearly there was a lot of shyt in the first teaser trailer that they cut out and that was the movie I wanted to see.

I still had fun with the 3rd act I'll say it again.

Last edited:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Well said.

By the end of TFA you know every characters name.

Tthe he characters in this movie are:
Jyn
K-2S0
The Blind Asian Guy
The Asian with the gun
The Mexican Guy
Forest Whitaker
Madds Mikelsen
Riz Ahmed Aka The Pilot that doesnt fly

:heh:

Just poorly developed characters. ( I actually know some of their names now just from listening to so many podcast reviews)

I really think the first act or 2 would have been doper if they didn't fukk with it. Clearly there was a lot of shyt in the first teaser trailer that they cut out and that was the movie I wanted to see.

I still had fun with the 3rd act I'll say it again.
no way am i agreeing with you or saying Rogue one is like the film i'm about to state..but Rogue one reminded me of ..masters of the universe in terms of poor developing.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Remember in ANH hope, that scene of Luke looking longingly at the two suns setting? That perfectly sums up the mundane nature of his life, and how he dreams of seeing, doing, and being more. ANH hope has just a few minutes of Luke’s normal life before things begin to escalate, but those few minutes paint clearly what he is, a smalltown kid with dreams.

Jyn never gets that moment. We see WHAT happens to her as a child (but not necessarily her personality, but we do see her mothers so we can understand where she gets her adult traits from), but when we cut to her as an adult, she’s a prisoner immediately being broken fee and things start to escalate. We get things flatout explained to us through dialog later (she was a good soldier, Forrest wanted to protect her or something). She talks about being lonely, but all we see of her she is surrounded by people.

People say she is selfish and a criminal and so on, but from the jump all we see of her is being heroic. She attacks the people who tried to break her out, but that’s just the most minute glimpse of a moment.

When people talk about the lack of character development in this movie, it’ll be because we never see just who she was before her heroic turn, and thus…it’s really not much of a turn if we don’t know what we’re going from.

Yes she was in a prison transport, but how did she get there? Was she an unwilling criminal? A shrewd one? A robin hood? Cold blooded? Taken in by a band of crooks who were her only family? Was she happy? Did she want to change her life? Was she a natural leader? Follower? How did she get captured? Made a sacrifice for someone? Sold out by someone she loved, that she hated? Had she tried to escape? Do it by herself? Try to organize a riot? Try to get people to start some shyt to draw attention so she could selfishly escape herself? Did she hate capture? Feel she deserved punishment for her life? Deserve to be alone?

You don’t need all of that, but like, one or two scenes at 2-4 minutes total illustrating any one of those things before she’s broken out of that transport just so we have a base and can identify with her on some level before this adventure begins.

Only other character whose development bothered me was the pilot. Defecting from the Empire is a massive deal, but he kinda just does it. And he suffers for it. He gets tortured by an extremist for wanting to do some good in the world. If we really felt and understood where he was coming from, knowing he was going to be tortured just to find out he was telling the truth could have been one of the most gripping scenes in the movie. It also hurts Forrest’s character, because we know nothing about the pilot, we don’t feel any type of way really about it happened.

We see Finn through his entire decision to turn sides. Imagine if when he got to the rebel base he was tortured for lying about being a rebel? Whoever made that decision you’d have a strong feeling either way about them then there, as you’ve seen exactly what sacrifices Finn went through just to get there, including saving the lives of random strangers.

I loved Rogue One, think it’s better than TFA and the prequels hands down. But when talking about character development, those are the things people are talking about (even if they don’t know exactly quite how to articulate it). Even just coming down to feeling, there’s just something missing in the movie until everyone gets together at Jeddah. And that something is great establishing scenes that really draw you into the world we’re in and the people in them. Which is a shame, as the opening is amazing, and Cassian’s introduction is perfect. You know EXACTLY who he is from that scene in the alley.

Can’t say that for the main character.

EDIT: Wow this turned into an essay.

I couldn't have said it better myself :wow:

The secret to making Luke, Han, and the OG characters memorable is that we got to see more of who these characters were as people before all of the action started popping off. While I enjoyed Rogue One overall, that element was lacking, IMO. When I left the theater, I couldn't remember the names of a single member of their crew...

Slightly unrelated, but I'm actually glad that there weren't any Jedi in this movie. It was dope seeing another side of everything, a story told from the perspective of a bunch of nobodies living in a universe full of somebodies. If there had still been a whole gang of young, hungry, Jedi in their prime then the Rebels wouldn't have had any reason to tap Obi-Wan, who was :flabbynsick: by this point. It would have made Luke too insignificant, IMO.

It was pretty cool seeing the world building and all of the culture and how it's developed since the Jedi had gone extinct. The force was just a myth to the eyes of most people. A crazy cult that most people didn't know about, or didn't believe. These were the dark ages, there were no super-heroes with amazing powers to save the day. Just regular people trying to get their paper and live to see another day :jbhmm:

The absence of the Jedi in this flick makes the movie feel bleaker and gives you more perspective on how bad things really were before Luke stepped up.

Last edited:

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
Yeah, Tron Legacy levels of creepiness from that. Should have just cast someone that looked like her like they did with Mon Mothma.
yeah the cgi was good but it was the creepy levels of good if you know what i mean.

CHERUB

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i agree on the lack of character development..only thing missing in Rogue. Maybe because we didnt see growth because they came and died in once shot. Some people hate him..but Hayden Christensen bytchy winey version of Anakin dare i say..had feeling. Saw him grow the character frm that to a arrogant sociopath with no personality. Over time we even saw the actor himself age. That brings a certain realness. Same Padme we saw her development from young warrior queen to heartbroken mother. There simply isnt enough time for fans and characters to grow. No matter how bad the Writing or Acting.