Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ren getting somehow getting Vader's helmet from the pyre. Durron visited the site too when he was younger to try to feed off the dark side. There are quite a few similarities between Kyp and Kylo. There are a couple between Finn and Kyle Katarn too, which is why some folks think he may wind up being a Jedi too.

Whats the finn comparison's??

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still think one of the reasons why they wiped the slate clean on the EU was so they could have a cheap easy way to bring Chewie back. I remember the casual/movie stan saying it didn't count cuz it didn't happen in a movie. All the hardcore fan were like "Since GL doesn't want to make any more movies, and the books are canon, Chewie dead :umad:." Everybody got all in their feelings over that.
From what I gathered, only the movies and The Clone Wars were canon, and whatever else George had a direct hand in.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
This been my biggest gripe about so-called critics. This character development is the most OVERRATED critique to use. Character development only is important if it serves the plot and story overall. If this was a character study, then character development of course be important. Such as a movie like "Moonlight" which is a character study about a black man's conflict with his sexuality. Understanding the characters development that affect that premise would be important. But not for an ACTION WAR FILM. Rogue One is an action war film! It's premise isn't about CHARACTER, it is about accomplishing an near-impossible mission. It's about a band of rebels UNKNOWN to the Star Wars lore and were unsung heroes to what may orf been the turning point of the entire saga. We don't NEED to know their history and be all deep into their background and so forth. All we need to know is how they came together, and how they were able to accomplish the mission. Their personality and a small background was just enough. You still FELT them emotionally in what they were able to pull off.

Also, this thing about pacing. I can understand that on the 1st viewing it's a bit jagged... but I don't feel it at all being slow... you have to have to introduce these characters and set up the mission. It's why the 3RD ACT was so satisfying. It wouldn't be as good if it's been nothing but MICHAEL BAY fireworks and lack of story. Shoot, A New Hope 1st half of the film was boring AF.
I'd also like to add that the main characters had a visible character arc.

Ezra

Daps
@2 Up 2 Down was you that's reading the novelization? I read to the point where they escape Jeddah. Been a little disappointed so far. Not much in terms of more info or extended scenes.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
He dodged blasters, sensed Jyns crystal necklace, and also was aware that Cassius was plotting to kill Jynes father. No, he didn't have telekinesis as training is required but, he was clearly attuned to the force.

His "powers" are basically Daredevil/Standard Blind Samurai-level. With "Force sensitivity" substituting for super hearing.

This is funny and all but it not quite true. Planetary shields been an idea in Star Wars from the jump. It's just the first time anyone has shown it on film. They fukking nailed it.

I think Endor had a planetary shield that extended all the way to the 2nd Death Star. That's why they needed to give out the "older code" to get them to open it so they could land.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
From what I gathered, only the movies and The Clone Wars were canon, and whatever else George had a direct hand in.
Before the Disney buyout, books, video games, and movies were canon. Ironically enough, Darth Maul surviving was something that happened in the comics which wasn't canon, but has become canonized due to his appearance in Rebels.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
The movie goes out of its way to highlight each and every individual death of the crew. The story is clearly ABOUT these people and the sacrifice they all chose to make.

Getting to know each character and what their personal stake was in this war would have ABSOLUTELY benefited the movie. I don't know how you can argue otherwise.

I agree. We already knew they were dead, so at least make them resonate with the audience. Granted, there wasn't much time (Star Wars time) to make you truly care but Cassian and Jyn's death should have made more of an impact than K2. I feel like they started thate route with certain characters, but didn't follow through. With the pilot, they didn't even try at all. K2 and Chirrut were just that dope in the little screentime they had

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@2 Up 2 Down was you that's reading the novelization? I read to the point where they escape Jeddah. Been a little disappointed so far. Not much in terms of more info or extended scenes.
Im more than half way done (Assassin's Creed Ezio trilogy slowing me down). I personally like the inner thoughts and some of the little subtle things you may miss on film.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Before the Disney buyout, books, video games, and movies were canon. Ironically enough, Darth Maul surviving was something that happened in the comics which wasn't canon, but has become canonized due to his appearance in Rebels.
They were loosely canon though. If George got to drop Ep 7 before Disney he wouldn't have followed what was going on in the EU. So either way the future of the old EU looked shaky.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
It was the dumbest hack job of a retcon in the Star Wars canon and I hate that they did it.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
The 2 trilogies plus rogue one make for a complete story. Start and finish. Damn shame TFA was made to marginalize everything done:snoop:

Damn non creative creatives :pacspit:. Got a whole universe to play with. An infinite timeline and we get a new hope the remix with tons of the same players :aicmon:
I'd love a movie about Revan from his rise as a Jedi to his imprisonment and transformation into a Sith. Only to defect against the Siths along side the Mandalorian war and utilize that force bomb ability :banderas:Then introduce Bane when he was a soldier before he changed his name however many hundreds of years after Revan. On to him waging war against the Sith and eliminating....all of them:demonic: throughout the galaxy :damn::damn:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I'd love a movie about Revan from his rise as a Jedi to his imprisonment and transformation into a Sith. Only to defect against the Siths along side the Mandalorian war and utilize that force bomb ability :banderas:Then introduce Bane when he was a soldier before he changed his name however many hundreds of years after Revan. On to him waging war against the Sith and eliminating....all of them:demonic: throughout the galaxy :damn::damn:
I wanted revan movie bad:mjcry:. But nah we get a watered down reboot:beli: