Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
Me and my daughter went to go see this yesterday and it was a damn good movie. Now I was never a huge fan of the the series but I knew enough about the movie to keep up and to explain to her what was going on since the only movie she has seen so far is "The Force Awakens" and some bits and pieces of other movies. Well, she kept asking me why Tarkin's head looks like a cartoon. I didn't even know what she was talking about. I was just like, I don't know, maybe his suit was on too tight or something. Then I come on here and see that this dude's been dead for over 22 years. I didn't know but that just makes me love the movie even more. Now that I have seen the movie I'm looking at all this stuff, the easter eggs, and things that I have missed. I told her that we are going to watch all the movies. The only one I haven't seen is "The Clone Wars".

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just got back from seeing this.

Overall, it was pretty good IMO. It started kinda slow with the planet-hopping and the characters were a bit dry to me, apart from Kaytoo and Donnie Yen's character, both of whom stole every scene they were in.It was interesting seeing another side of the Star Wars universe, a grittier era of the series where there were no jedi around to save the day and times were desperate :wow:

When Chirrut those Stormtroopers that work :banderas:
donnie-yen-rogue-one-trailer.gif

And K-2SO stayed talking that smack... "I find that answer vague and unconvincing" :heh:

UPolYIa.gif

You know they're all going to bite it because things have to get bad before Luke steps up to fix everything in the OG trilogy, but I was still :to: when everyone died at the end.

That Vader massacre at the end had me like :feedme:

Overall, I thought the world-building and action scenes were top-notch. It had some dope callbacks to the OG trilogy and I'm glad that 3PO and R2 got a cameo. Both of them ought to show up in every movie, it wouldn't feel right if they didn't. The only weaknesses were the constant planet-jumping early in the movie, and mostly flat characterization for the heroes (besides K-2SO and Chirrut).

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I still think one of the reasons why they wiped the slate clean on the EU was so they could have a cheap easy way to bring Chewie back. I remember the casual/movie stan saying it didn't count cuz it didn't happen in a movie. All the hardcore fan were like "Since GL doesn't want to make any more movies, and the books are canon, Chewie dead :umad:." Everybody got all in their feelings over that.
Yeah non EU readers woudl be pissed and I can understand why.
That said the way the handled Chewie dying and Jacen's fall to the dark side and fractured relationship with Han made so much more sense and had such a greater emotional impact than that bullshyt TFA

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
You're missing out.

Shatterpoint (Mace is the GOAT)
Labyrinth of Evil (explains a lot about Grievous)
Dark Rendezvous (Yoda novel where he meets Dooku again)

The Episode III novel itself is amazing as well.
I forgot about Labyrinth Of Evil. The Jedi trying to pinpoint who in the Senate was really Darth Sidious :wow:. The episode III book was flames.

CHL

Superstar
Daps

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
why does the planet jumping at the beginning bother so many people? how are you supposed to handle that?

while not planet jumping, as a kid I thought all the jumping around in ANH, is part of what made it so dope. Every 2 minutes you were sucked in by some new visual, character, or sound effect that were all pretty magical at the time.

the planet hopping in R1 was a callback to that kind of pacing from ANH.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
This been my biggest gripe about so-called critics. This character development is the most OVERRATED critique to use. Character development only is important if it serves the plot and story overall. If this was a character study, then character development of course be important. Such as a movie like "Moonlight" which is a character study about a black man's conflict with his sexuality. Understanding the characters development that affect that premise would be important. But not for an ACTION WAR FILM. Rogue One is an action war film! It's premise isn't about CHARACTER, it is about accomplishing an near-impossible mission. It's about a band of rebels UNKNOWN to the Star Wars lore and were unsung heroes to what may orf been the turning point of the entire saga. We don't NEED to know their history and be all deep into their background and so forth. All we need to know is how they came together, and how they were able to accomplish the mission. Their personality and a small background was just enough. You still FELT them emotionally in what they were able to pull off.
Had to rep this. I can't stand when people talk about character development in movies where it doesn't serve the story in any way.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Had to rep this. I can't stand when people talk about character development in movies where it doesn't serve the story in any way.

The movie goes out of its way to highlight each and every individual death of the crew. The story is clearly ABOUT these people and the sacrifice they all chose to make.

Getting to know each character and what their personal stake was in this war would have ABSOLUTELY benefited the movie. I don't know how you can argue otherwise.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Then you REALLY overlooking the mere fact that it was because of HIM, being the initial messenger for Galen Erso to send the hologram message to Saw to begin with. Or the fact that he knew the location of Galen Erso. Or the fact that they needed him, being that he WAS an Imperial pilot to get them INTO Scariff. He was MOST necessary. The only thing unnecessary in the film was the weak slug torture scene.
No, I'm saying write him out of the script.

as in . write-him-out

nobody is gonna remember shyt about dude in 6 months. "Hey, yal remember when the pilot felt mad awkward talking to cas? :banderas:"

He's a bad use of screen time - all the time.

Write him out doesn't equal simply make him vanish.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
It was as good as it could be considering there were approximately zero actual full characters in the movie. Wish they'd have explored the "I've done terrible things for the rebellion" more and spent less time on the unnecessarily convoluted planet hopping. I mean, they had two parties end up on the same planet twice, independent of the other. Just felt too contrived to me, overall.

6/10