Rise Of The Ronin (PS5/PC, Team Ninja, 2024) (NO OPEN SPOILERS)

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
After watching Fox's Shogun series on Hulu, it makes me wanna buy and play this game
I'm thoroughly enjoying, but if you have already started DD2, finish that first.

I still haven't remaked FF7 Remake and I need to get to Rebirth as well so buying another RPG (DD2) and creating more of an RPG backlog I just couldn't do yet.

So I went with the cut a nikka head off ninja samurai joint. Glad I did.

After this, it'll be stellear yams time THEN i'll probably go finish Remake, then Rebirth. I'll prob wait on DD2 once I get the PS5Pro. See if that helps with some of the issues.

But NCAA is back in the Summer so who knows. But right now it's Ronin, Stellar Blade, Finishing Remake, then NCAA. And of course HellDivers 2 in between. All I will probably have time for.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm thoroughly enjoying, but if you have already started DD2, finish that first.

I still haven't remaked FF7 Remake and I need to get to Rebirth as well so buying another RPG (DD2) and creating more of an RPG backlog I just couldn't do yet.

After this, it'll be stellear yams time THEN i'll probably go finish Remake, then Rebirth. I'll prob wait on DD2 once I get the PS5Pro. See if that helps with some of the issues.

But NCAA is back in the Summer so who knows. But right now it's Ronin, Stellar Blade, Finishing Remake, then NCAA. And of course HellDivers 2 in between. All I will probably have time for.

You backed up my grandmothers toilet after christmas

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Like the game. A cool 8/10. By no means on par with Tekken 8 or FF7 Rebirth though
About the same for me. I'm loving the gameplay so more of a solid 8.5 right now. Possibly a 9/10 if the landing sticks. Really fukkin with this joint.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For anybody who plays PS5. Does this game support haptic feedback and adaptive triggers?
Yes
About the same for me. I'm loving the gameplay so more of a solid 8.5 right now. Possibly a 9/10 if the landing sticks. Really fukkin with this joint.
Right

Sometimes a fun 7/10 game can feel like a 9 if the gameplay loop or story is enjoyable

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Breh we on the same page.

I finished Rebirth and hoped straight to this I played a lil bit of DD2 and loved it but I’m probably gonna finish this first. Plus I got Unicorn Overlord waiting :banderas:

I pre ordered Rebirth, ROTR, DD2 and Stellar Yams last year because I knew I was gonna play. Don’t really care for a review with these games it’s going down regardless:blessed:

I’ll be playing these games until at least July and there’s more dropping like you mentioned College Crack (that’s what my fam calls it lol)

This is mos def shaping up to be one of the goat years imo

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I think I’m too reliant on that counterspark and I get blown tf up. Some of the red spark combat style of enemies are hard af to time. And I lose to much ki

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I think I’m too reliant on that counterspark and I get blown tf up. Some of the red spark combat style of enemies are hard af to time. And I lose to much ki
Yeah I started using the R1 combos more from the jump. And that's after I try headshotting first with da blicky.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

On the plus side first: character models are often beautifully detailed. We get high quality shadows, adjusting with the changing time of day to give a convincing day-night cycle. Also, the linear missions put some beautiful effects in view, whether that's snow physics allowing you to procedurally leave a trail on the ground or volumetric smoke filling the cabin of the Black Ship and coalescing in a haze around the lanterns of Yokohama's pleasure district. Specific areas also use ray-traced reflections in the RT mode, falling back to screen-space reflections (SSR) in the other modes. Sadly, RT reflections are quite rare, with larger water bodies and varnished interior floors opting for SSR instead in all modes.
That brings us to a few of the negatives. Firstly, foliage, shadow maps, lighting and NPCs can all pop in close to the camera regardless of mode, especially in city areas or while riding on horseback. Textures also use a low-grade anisotropic filtering setting, blurring surfaces at the typical viewing angle. Every one of the game's modes uses it - and it resembles a 4x AF setting we'd get on PC.

There are performance differences too. The 60fps performance mode obviously enjoys the best frame-rates, given its lower internal resolution and fewer graphical features, but it's not quite a locked 60fps in practice. Still, across the first six hours frame-rates normally only dropped into the 50s, with ~45fps when flying over populated areas being the lowest point. These drops often accompany new assets or effects streaming in, or as the camera moves and dynamic resolution scaling has to react. These frame-rates are within the range of a VRR display, but for those without VRR support, expect to see judder around stress points and occasional lurches elsewhere. Still, the performance mode is the best way to enjoy Rise of the Ronin's timing-sensitive combat, as landing a vital counter depends on this smooth visual feedback.

Next along is the graphics mode - easily the most taxing option of the trio. Locking to 30fps provides a solid average frame-rate, but the uneven frame-pacing rather ruins the experience. Unlocking allows for better performance in less taxing areas, from 40-50fps, with with the resolution dynamically adjusting to keep us close to 45fps. VRR compatible displays will struggle to fully turn this around, as at the extremes we're outside the ideal range and you'll notice judder regardless. So whether this huge frame-rate hit is worth running at a higher resolution - at up to 1512p - and the better SSR setting is entirely up to you.

The final option then is the ray tracing mode. In effect its frame-rate falls between the other two modes: just below the performance mode, but often above the graphics option. The undoing of this mode is that actually encountering its RT reflections results in worse performance; looking at a pond is enough to see performance dip into the 30s and low 40s, compared to a solid 45fps at a higher resolution in graphics mode or 60fps in performance mode.
That's the lowdown on Rise of the Ronin then. As an open-world effort from Team Ninja, the results are mixed - but the winning combat, characters, and RPG systems add huge value to the package. The main frustration is that a perfect 60fps is out of reach. Its performance mode is the best option of the bunch, but still suffers from drops and a blurry image to boot. Meanwhile, the graphics mode is the visual purist's best option. The resolution is boosted in exchange for a wildly variable frame-rate - but again, pairing that with a 30fps cap gives you uneven frame-pacing. There's no ideal solution. Therefore the 60fps performance mode makes most sense, even if it doesn't flatter the presentation of the open world.

Last edited:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Not even hitting a locked 60FPS in performance mode is unacceptable for a game that looks like this with no crazy physics or lighting engines running in the background. They need to bush that game engine yesterday.

From what I seen this is a cool enough fukk around game but I'm not buying at $70 off principle :hubie: