Rise Of The Ronin (PS5/PC, Team Ninja, 2024) (NO OPEN SPOILERS)

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Not sure why y'all hating? Really loved Nioh and this looks like Nioh open world. I watched Fextralife's preview of the game and from what he said and what I saw, this game is going to be really good.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Been looking for reviews/impressions and the theme I keep seeing is graphics/presentation are weak and it isn't dark souls.
I'm lenient on graphics overall. I basically let Nintendo get away with murder with that Shin Megami Tensei V.
And I've recently found myself spending more time on my CRT TV playing NES and PS2 games but I digress....
I'm personally glad to hear the game isn't Dark Souls. I get it. That "genre" has a powerful following and I definitely see the quality of the games overall...they've just never clicked with me anywhere near the way it has with the die hard fans. I enjoy difficult games, I just simply haven't found it as fun to have long drawn out battles with almost every enemy you encounter. It also doesn't have the strong narrative experience that I look for in my favorite games. I guess if I think about it as far as "difficult" games go, the Ninja Gaiden series was my favorite. That's about as close to "souls-like" as I like to get even if it is completely removed from the genre. I just don't get the same excitement defeating a "souls" boss. It's more like a sigh of disappointment from having finished a chore knowing I have 8 more to do. I really wish it clicked with me because it's the one genre that everyone seems to like and the games always look cool.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
first review

FRS-1842-768x432.jpg

This week’s Famitsu review scores are in.
  • Outcast: A New Beginning (PS5, Xbox Series) – 8/8/7/8 [31/40]
  • Princess Peach: Showtime! (Switch) – 8/8/9/8 [33/40]
  • Radirgy 2 (PS5, PS4, Switch) – 7/7/8/7 [29/40]
  • Rise of the Ronin (PS5) – 9/10/9/9 [37/40]
  • Winning Post 10 2024 (PS5, PS4, Switch) – 8/8/9/8 [33/40]

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not hype for this game, but I am looking forward to it and I think it'll be good.

It has a lot of unfair narratives working against it though.

It'll be the first third party Sony exclusive that isn't "cinematic" driven.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not into it. I disliked Wolong and Strangers of paradise was meh. Team Ninja might have fallen off.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

A new PS5 epic does smart, little things to respect its player's time​

Some of the best I've spotted so far:

• Automated loot disposal: You pick up a lot of weapons, outfits and items in Rise of the Ronin, most of them color-coded to indicate rarity. Like the best loot games (but, sadly, not all), Team Ninja's game will automatically disassemble (or sell) any loot I pick up that's below a certain level of rarity (I can pick the level). That spares me from spending precious minutes clearing out weak items from my inventory.
  • Automatically getting on your horse: Many, many open-world games give you a horse that you can summon with a whistle. Too few of them make your character automatically jump into the saddle when the horse trots over. Rise of the Ronin does. It saves a second and has a nice flow to it.
  • Self-guided horses: Once you're on your horse, you can pick any spot on the game's map and, with a press of a button, command your steed to gallop there. Rise of the Ronin's virtual Japan is full of cliffs and valleys and plenty of opportunities to waste time running the wrong way. But my horse knows the right path and can always take me along for the ride.
  • Endless running outside of combat: Stamina meters in video games force players to ration their character's actions lest they exhaust themselves. That's a good system during combat, but can be aggravating when just trying to travel somewhere (For example: I want to sail across the Indian Ocean in Ubisoft's Skull & Bones pirate game, but I keep having to slow down when my ship's stamina meter gets low. Annoying!). Rise of the Ronin's stamina meter keeps players in check during combat, but the meter turns infinite when the fighting is done, allowing our in-game hero to sprint across the map forever. It's unrealistic, but who cares?
  • Lots of fast travel: Yes, Rise of the Ronin's map is freckled with activity icons. Many of them are checkpoints that can be fast-traveled to at just about any moment.
  • Never see a cutscene twice: If you see a cutscene in Rise of the Ronin, then fail the mission that follows it, you don't have to watch the cinematic again. You don't even have to watch the start of it while holding down a button to skip it, as is common in many games. Rise of the Ronin has a setting that will automatically skip any cutscene you've seen before. Thank you!
  • Frame-skip photo mode: Just about every mega-game has a photo mode these days. You freeze the game and can then adjust the camera to line up a perfect screenshot. Sometimes you've paused at just the wrong time. To fix that, you usually need to unpause and try again, which takes time. That's less of an issue in Rise of the Ronin, because its photo mode lets the player advance the frozen scene's in-game animations one frame at a time to get to a better moment for a better screenshot