RIP MF DOOM

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
WTF!!?? Was scrolling through Twitter and saw this so came here to confirm and can't believe it. I'm in shock right now. This sucks. I love doom. Damn it.

RIP legend :mjcry:

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
this story was told back on august 28th, yall might enjoy it for the memory of that brother doom aka zev luv x

in '91 when kmd (leader rapper doom as zev luv x) dropped their album mr. hood it was when the real delineation began in east coast hip hop that led to lyrical vs. thugs but we just didn't know it then. to explain for the younger who don't know the lyrical vs thugs go listen to the blassics times up by OC (1994) and come clean by jeru the damaja (1994) which were both scathing criticisms of where new york hip hop was going with all that thugs bustin guns talk that the oligarchy like melle melle felt should stay on the west coast because that ain't us. and of course which eventually fractured the relationship between 89 tech 9 WKCR legends bobbito and stretch armstrong. bob is playing kool keith and saying fukk that thug shyt while stretch is playing tragedy khadafi and saying fukk that nerd shyt and they eventually split by the late 90's. very indicative of what i called the hip hop civil war which of course was won by the thugs in a landslide... and now they make records together??? lmao shout out to mf doom and westside gunn which to a flabby and sick old head makes for strange ass bedfellows lmao (just like benny and tariq) if you saw this whole thing unfold

so anyway in my eyes it began in 1991 because i was there. you had this new kid nasty nas who rapped like 1990 wanted dead or alive kool g rap and then you had light-hearted happy go lucky rappers like leaders of the new school & black sheep ('92 but still) who were literally from two different worlds. and black sheep btw not coincidentally had a criticism of east coast gangsta rap on they debut blassic a wolf in sheep's clothing entitled "u mean i'm not" which is a minute and a half long & hilariously brilliant. so check it on youtube for context and perspective.... in my high school of aspiring emcees, samuel j tilden in east flatbush we had the two factions on deck. the black sheep types vs the nasty nas types, nerds like me were more black sheep (though i quickly saw what the lick read and became a nasty nas type without being no real street dude at all lol smh at the cap on my part)

all the thug rappers in our school came from mainly brownsville and east new york who thought nikkas like KMD & zev luv x were wack. like "what son, nikkas is rappin about having peach fuzz facial hair & being embarrassed about it in front of bytches son? lmao them nikkas soft and wack as fukk." one vocal critic in particular was my nikka severe who was a shock rapper in the vein of ice t, nwa and nasty nas. yeah nas lol. if yall remember that verse he dropped on extra p debut crack rock breaking atoms, maaaan it literally shook hip hop to the core. when i was 12 i went to hell for snuffin jesus?!? lol oh shyt after that nikkas like my man severe from east new york got real grimy and foul with the lyrics. for instance, once right outside the lunchroom severe was battling a nikka from crown heights and he actually started out a rhyme "kickin pregnant bytches in the stomach....." and everybody fell the fukk out on the floor like wtf this nikka say?? it was the times man and nas of all people set it off. actually nas is even to blame for BIG L being the devil's son and in preschool beating a kid to death with a wooden block. and hell his mans from live at the bbq akinyele saw all the attention nas was getting and got on that wave once he got signed with the song i luh hur released in 1993 (produced not coincidentally by extra p) where he talks about a bytch getting pregnant by him who won't get an abortion so he muses that he should drop her off in an alleyway, have his mans push her down a flight of steps, or simply punch her directly in the navel among other things. lol check that on youtube too son it's mad foul

anyway my nikka severe was on that heavy but honestly didn't have to do the gimmickry because he was actually lyrical as fukk in the vein of '88 kane. but by the early 90's it was no more sped up james brown sample records with word after word nah. on the underground grassroots level it was starting to become street shyt and unlike my nerdy ass severe was actually bout that life and probably jumped off the porch in '88. he was a decepticon, whole family was drug dealers and criminals so he was in his element with that kinda rap. now let's get to mf mothafukkin doom aka zev luv x and where he exactly he falls into this whole lyrical vs thug rap i'm breaking down for context here.

in our hood dj richie rich from 3rd bass also know as daddy rich was a fukkin LEGEND b. an east flatbush superstar and not just because he rolled with 3rd bass but because he was a real nikka who stayed fukkin up nikkas on the ones and twos. a literal genius on the turntables and on top of that humble as fukk despite knowing EVERY celebrity you could possibly imagine. nikka had pictures with arsenio hall, robert townsend, deion sanders & even madonna kid like wow. but shrugged it off mad humble and was hella positive. so anyway i had the opportunity to meet mf doom around the way because him and daddy rich were doing business. he heard me & my rhyme partner rhyme and gave us positive encouragement and then started kickin some off the wall shyt that floored us son. it wasn't like nothing on mr. hood quite honestly and to me was the beginnings of what we'd hear later as mf doom. so me, my rhyme partner and four other nikkas were talking about this SEVEN minute lyrical display from zev luv x/mf doom in the lunchroom later at school on monday and severe was there shyttin on zev like hahahaha fukk outta here kid that nikka corny i'll destroy him and them corny kmd nikkas man. we tried to tell him nah chill son you don't understand this nikka is ridiculous for real. but he ignores us and starts quoting the classic lines from gasface like unleaded at sunoco and talking about how overrated and wack he is

now fast forward a year and a half later not long before subroc died (rest in power) doom/zev is around the way getting beats from lord digga of um dada/masta ace inc who produced me and my bytch for biggie. but i had no idea he was there when me and a few nikkas including severe roll up on digga's mother's front stoop. doom actually remembered us and said what's up to me and everybody went back to listening to digga's beats. one thing lead to another and a cipher starts but among us youngn's (doom and digga were older than us and knew we just thirsty for beats & attention lol). so when it's severe's turn to rhyme he throws a lil off the head in his written and actually says, "i got two big guns and i show you what each does/to shoot corny nikkas who rap about peach fuzz" :gucci: nikka WHAT??? everybody like oh shyt this nikka dissin zev luv and kmd right to his face!

so digga intervenes like nah hold up get off my moms porch with this bullshyt because you not about to fukk my money up b. but doom is drinking a snapple smirking like, "nah it's cool reggie let that nikka rhyme" CALMLY as fukk. lmao ahh shyt i knew something was up, lol i knew it. doom was way too calm and unbothered. meanwhile severe gives digga (who is NOT soft btw) a dirty look and let's my other nikka logik rhyme, then i rhyme, then back to severe who AGAIN sends even more shots at 3rd bass/doom/kmd which i wish i could remember but this was 1993 so it's amazing i can even still remember the peach fuzz line quite frankly. afterwards doom looks at this nikka and and smiles wryly and then asks digga, "yo regg, you gotta garbage can son?" digga says yeah right by the front door. doom open digga's screen door throws out the bottle and then without even looking at my nikka severe says throw another beat on son

digga throws on a beat that was uptempo and zev/doom looks at reg and starts out the rhyme, "what the fukk is wrong with this fakkit ass neophyte, kool g rap bite... looking at life through a crusty lens talking about street money but wearing scuffed dusty timbs...." YO... lemme tell you something he had writtens on deck too but seamlessly mixed in his written with off the head shyt strictly for the thug rapping severe. he went in on severe talmbout, " you obsessed with crime and can't rhyme ya pace awkward/a baby face fakkit who'd got raped in spofford" OMG son by that time nikkas from vanderveer had crowded around to hear this shyt and everybody erupted on the spofford line. if yall don't know spofford is a boys detention center in nyc which is a short stop en rooute to riker's island and a life in the prison system for aspiring new york gangstas

severe was shook by this because he didn't even know that zev luv x CURSED!! like where the fukk did this shyt come from? and zev also got closer to him on some slightly confrontational shyt because zev was not only older but taller. severe tried to come back but doom cut him off and ended him some shyt about p*ssy nikka spits weak rhymes from his vaginal folds..... i mean it was over because by that time we talking about maybe 25 nikkas hanging on doom every word and NOT ONCE did he make it about i'm signed and got money and you some broke unsigned nikka, NOT ONCE. severe refused to dap him up, dropped a half empty 40 bottle of st. ides in front digga's neighbor crib smh and stormed off to his bytch crib who lived in vanderveer and went to our school. doom actually started rhyming again after this nikka YELLING some shyt about "fakkit nikka came talking that shyt/now tail between his legs plus walk like a bytch..." right then and there i knew this nikka was from another planet. and the killer of all killers is that NOT ONCE did he look directly at severe's face when battling. it made him not only seem dismissive but wild mysterious and weird like an actor using the fourth wall or something. smh at being flabby and sick where we obviously had no benefit of iphones b. that would have been legendary footage. that's my doom story so it was no surprise to me or my nikkas when he emerged on fondle'em records as the new underground king mf doom. i literally have EVERYTHING this nikka has ever laid on wax. nikkas can't tell me shyt about doom so i ignore the criticism he's gotten in the last few years about laziness or whatever else. this nikka is a pure genius i'm sorry

Grand Eeezus Maxwell

"Time is when, God....lounge!!"
Daps
Reppin
Triple Six Mile
Let the real fans get it before all of the hoarders and resellers pop up outta nowhere and buy everything once the news broke

I'd be surprised if that site wasn't completely sold out, or crashed in a bit

Yeah, any tees or hoodies besides Small are all gone.

Music Fiend

Superstar
Daps
Nah nobody DESERVES to know shyt except a spouse and children
I get it, and understand it like I said. :yeshrug:

In these times, people want to know. I don't think they deserve it, but if it was COVID I would want to know.

Hell, there like 5 ppl I know who passed this year, nobody ever said how but brehs were mad shook it was COVID cuz they were hanging with them days before they passed.

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
So, I'm Completely Honest when I say that this 1 hits very close to Heart. I've been an Fan of MF DOOM for about 4 Years. Not the Longest but within that Time, I have been Listening to Doom somewhat Non-Stop along with Wu-Tang, J. Cole, Nas & Mobb Deep. I hold these Artists pretty close to the Heart as they've become a part of my everyday life in their Careers. Doom always have Me a different way to Listen to Lyrics, Dude was just Different and also very Distant as an Artist. He Strikes Me as a Loner with Minimal Features. Mm.. Food, Madvillainy, Czarface Meets Metal Face, The Mouse And The Mask and much more EPs that Dude has been Featured on in Blends, he's just been a Great Example of what a Timeless Artist is. His Unique Sound was a Mix of Storytelling in a Comedic Way. "Kookies" was 1 of my 1st Songs then I fell for "Hey!" and now I'm Bumping "Avalanche" on repeat. I got the News from a couple of Friends that know I keep Doom in Heavy Rotation so I'm Shocked by the News along with the Rest of the World. It seems like a very Doom-Like thing to do, I wish I could see he was Taking his Death and just Dropping a New Album in the Following Summer or something but :no: "Disappear, Reappear And Disappear" kept coming to mind when I got the News. Lemme Stop Rambling on the Day that we're Losing yet another GOAT.

:rip:RIP MF DOOM:mjcry:
4geH.gif

Live It Up Tonight for The Master Of The World, MF DOOM!:wow: