RIP Google Play Music: How to Transfer Your Music From Google Play to YouTube

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Sounds quality seems a whole lot better playing through the YTM app. shyt's pushing my car's system way harder and cleaner :whoo:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I'm kind of confused....so your telling me when we switch over to YTM there will be no background pay unless we pay extra? Our accounts will no longer include YouTube premium?
The music you upload has background play, streaming music from the YouTube stations or whatever you call them has no bg play without premium

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I'm kind of confused....so your telling me when we switch over to YTM there will be no background pay unless we pay extra? Our accounts will no longer include YouTube premium?

Your own personal music that you upload to your account will have background play. But not music streamed directly from the app unless u are a paid subscriber. Anyone that was already grandfathered into youtube premium from youtube red i don't think have any problems(Like myself)

It's the people who subbed to gpm after they stopped including youtube premium as a bonus and are now migrating over to YTM that are having this issue.

But yes if as of now u have youtube premium along with gpm you should still have background play for any song on YTM

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
I had Google play music for a few years and it includes youtube premium, am I losing that now ?

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Your own personal music that you upload to your account will have background play. But not music streamed directly from the app unless u are a paid subscriber. Anyone that was already grandfathered into youtube premium from youtube red i don't think have any problems(Like myself)

It's the people who subbed to gpm after they stopped including youtube premium as a bonus and are now migrating over to YTM that are having this issue.

But yes if as of now u have youtube premium along with gpm you should still have background play for any song on YTM
Copy...I had gpm for a min so I should be good

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
The music you upload has background play, streaming music from the YouTube stations or whatever you call them has no bg play without premium

yeah nah they don't

unless i'm just dumb, but I tried in the app myself.

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
I really only used google play music to play music that i had downloaded and wanted to keep to listen to whenever I was in the mood

They could have at least had the YTM app ready with more features than this. They been had this app out, and they been knew GPM was gonna be axed.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I really can't believe Google is about to push YouTube Music on us before fixing some of the more glaring issues it has. These nikkas are clearly about the bucks now

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
yeah nah they don't

unless i'm just dumb, but I tried in the app myself.
The app is terrible. But it does play in the background.

Thing is, when you search for a song, the one that pops up first is their streamed version. You have to click on the "Uploads" section to search for and play your own music.

It's terrible, tbh. The interface is terrible. Too much work to enjoy. So much so that I've actually started riding in the car in silence.

Anyway...they sent this email today:

Google Play Music is going away soon
Zre1fAeZon4GoBOJld1BwQBOoDp_nPvbMfWpo_oz1aUl9pMZintgHpbeOa_lM19isQUdBIWybtskSbQzO011QdafXFOEgtL5DEZ2dw=s0-d-e1-ft

Between October and the end of this year, access to Google Play Music will be removed permanently. We want to thank you again for transferring your Google Play Music library, and since we want you to have the best experience with YouTube Music, here are a few more things and upcoming changes you should know.
Zre1fAeZon4GoBOJld1BwQBOoDp_nPvbMfWpo_oz1aUl9pMZintgHpbeOa_lM19isQUdBIWybtskSbQzO011QdafXFOEgtL5DEZ2dw=s0-d-e1-ft

Updates to your music transfer
Did you make any changes to your Google Play Music library after you transferred? If so, make sure to transfer again to update your library in YouTube Music. Update your music library.

Google Play Music library and data
In addition to transferring your library to YouTube Music, you have the option to download any music that you’ve purchased or uploaded to Google Play Music, as well as a list of the tracks, playlists, and radio stations in your library. We’ll notify you before you’ll lose access to your Google Play Music library and data. You can also delete your Google Play Music data.

Music Manager and uploads
Uploading and downloading music with Music Manager will be discontinued starting in 30 days. But don’t worry – you can always upload your personal music collection to YouTube Music or download your existing tracks via Google Takeout.

Music store on Google Play
Starting in 30 days, the Music store on Google Play will go away. It won’t be possible to purchase music on Google Play anymore, and all pre-orders will be canceled. Once you transfer, your purchases will move with you to YouTube Music.

A new home for podcasts
With Google Play Music going away, you won’t be able to listen to podcasts there anymore. You can transfer your subscriptions and episode progress to Google Podcasts, our dedicated podcast player available for free on Android, iOS, and the web. With Google Podcasts, you can sync playback across devices and discover new podcasts you’ll love. Transfer to Google Podcasts.

Radio and background play
Background play is only available to paid users of YouTube Music. However, the free version of the music app allows background play for your uploaded or purchased songs and streaming on smart devices with Google Assistant.

Thanks again for being a loyal listener. We hope you are enjoying the new YouTube Music experience, and if you have questions, we’re here for you. Check out our support resources.

Happy listening,
The Google Play Music and YouTube Music teams

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, my primary complaint is relatively minor, and it's one that isn't even on the YTM team to fix.

I really miss being able to cast to my Sonos speakers directly from YTM. It's not an option because the two are suing each other, but it's still an option in GPM, since they haven't made any serious updates to it in years.

What makes it most annoying is that sometimes I'll just throw songs in my queue, and then play them as a quick on the fly playlist, and cast it to whatever Sonos makes sense for where I'm doing whatever it is I'm doing. Now, unless I want to play one of my preexisting playlists, I've got to make a new playlist (because you can't save your queue as a playlist, either), add all the songs, then go to Sonos to play it.

It's really just a matter of me wanting to put as little effort into playing my music as possible. But that's the appeal that the hardware and services were built on. :yeshrug: