Rich kids run basketball now

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The kid we’re talking about isn’t even Black

The larger conversation on this topic throughout multiple threads is about how increasingly expensive youth basketball continues to get and how it’s caused players who have rich parents and/or parents that were former pros to have an even more of a leg up than they already had

Discussing the potential negative consequences of that for the sport isn’t being against Black generational wealth or wanting to see more players go broke or kids grow up without fathers. If you can’t see that then idk what to tell you
Having rich parents help but at the end of the day you gotta be able to ball.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
It really shouldn't be a surprise...the NBA is the league with the highest barrier of entry when it comes to genetics...if you're the child of a former NBA player (or any former pro athlete, really) you got a leg up in the genetic lottery

And like others said, NBA players from the hood been getting sent to basketball factories for decades now. Stephon Marbury for example, may have been from the hood but he went to one of the best public schools in New York City and was on a big AAU team

Last edited:

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Having rich parents help but at the end of the day you gotta be able to ball.

For sure but sports not a meritocracy, like any other industry money and most importantly connections will put you in more doors

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I agree but when you hit that floor you either sink or swim. Your money isn’t protecting you if you can’t ball, obviously bronny is a whole different case.
And even with Bronny everything had to fall perfectly into place. Unlike everybother 2nd generation player before him, his father is not only still in the league but still elite.

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
Money and connections def helps elevate players status for sure, get them in the right mix to get looks and offers..I’m talking 2 star prospects who are solid players getting 4/5 star attention…Bronny is an example of this in reality he was a 3 star but his situation is too unique too fully compare/contrast..

imo coming from a athletic background trumps all, not just cause of the genetics but the direct guidance and knowledge of the process…I know so many D2/D3/JUCO even local stars who could have been high level D1 players and beyond with the right guidance…

That’s the good thing about the modern age. With the advent of the internet and transfer portal those under the radar athletes have the opportunity to gain exposure and level up..

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Nepotism is a good thing. You’re supposed to put your children in the best position to succeed. Stop glorifying fatherlessness and broken homes.
Nepotism is getting positions that you don’t deserve solely based on your relations. How is that good for society? For example, because your dad is on some Harvard board, his retarded son gets accepted instead of some random kid who worked really hard.

Of course, smart people tend to raise their kids to be better versions of themselves.

Raising your kid so that he is worthy of that position is what’s good for society. And most of these athlete kids actually do that, cause besides Bronny all of these people actually out numbers in the board.

It’s kinda hard to do when you are defined by hard stats. NFL coaching jobs is worse. I could be a QB coach for the chiefs and nobody would notice any difference.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nepotism is good for the family benefitting from it, not good for society as a whole. Nobody’s saying they’d rather have broken homes, that’s an extreme reach

Facts if you are getting family members jobs make sure they know what they doing.

If I'm a lawyer no way I'm getting my kids a job at a law firm if they never went to law school :mjlol:

Even Lebron made sure Rich Paul learned how to be an agent under Leon Rose at CAA