REVEALED: Open A.I. Staff Warn "The progress made on Project Q* has the potential to endanger humanity" (REUTERS)

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
What is ai reproducing, I think we underestimate nature

Is it even possible for ai to even have such desires?

AI has goals. not desires.

Not yet anyway.

watch some of the videos in the thread.

search for 'paper clips' in this thread.

And we not going to talk infrastructure cause I haven’t heard anybody say anything about this obstacle

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
AI has goals. not desires.

Not yet anyway.

watch some of the videos in the thread.

search for 'paper clips' in this thread.
I read the paper clips thing and I responded to that already

Ai gets its goals from what exactly?

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Why would it do this?
Because humans existence is auto opps
If we exist we can “pull the plug”

To make sure that never happens it will eliminate or severely wound the threat.

Once a sentient being knows it exists it’s sole purpose is survival, if you have a knife dangling over your head with the ability to reach up and move it the Fk out of the way you would instinctively do so. :beli:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Because humans existence is auto opps
If we exist we can “pull the plug”

To make sure that never happens it will eliminate or severely wound the threat.

Once a sentient being knows it exists it’s sole purpose is survival, if you have a knife dangling over your head with the ability to reach up and move it the Fk out of the way you would instinctively do so. :beli:
What does it mean for ai to be sentient?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
What does it mean for ai to be sentient?

wrong question.

we are talking about capacity to calculate not sentience.

even in the absence of sentience mankind can be out-calculated.

see chess. see go. see etc.

even without sentience / soul / inner monologue a machine could out-calculate humans.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
wrong question.

we are talking about capacity to calculate not sentience.

even in the absence of sentience mankind can be out-calculated.

see chess. see go. see etc.

even without sentience / soul / inner monologue a machine could out-calculate humans.
What is this supposed to mean?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Are u actually comprehending what I wrote or are you just looking to counter whatever i write

Cause this shyt is flying over your head

you cannot separate the calculation element of analysis from the thought-process element of human analysis, which is a mistake.

that hints are you knowing next to nothing about how computers actually work, logically. about the fundamentals of computer science.

not the physical machines .. but rather computation itself.

(the underlying concepts that allow us to move from von neumann to quantum without breaking stride)

:hubie:

Screenshot-2023-11-24-at-03-48-33.png

:camby:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
you cannot separate the calculation element of analysis from the thought-process element of human analysis, which is a mistake.

that hints are you knowing next to nothing about how computers actually work, logically. about the fundamentals of computer science.

not the physical machines .. but rather computation itself.

(the underlying concepts that allow us to move from von neumann to quantum without breaking stride)

:hubie:

Screenshot-2023-11-24-at-03-48-33.png

:camby:
Instead of trying to sound like you know what you talking about how about you express your point simply cause you just wrote a whole bunch of nothing

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I don’t think y’all understand AI. Computers are very stupid. They can only do what humans program it to do. And even then you have to hold its hand to make it do what you want.

Not exactly true. With neural nets, we can already give computers a goal and then tell them to program themselves. That's how the computers that mastered chess, Go, and LLM work. They're using strategies humans have never seen before, strategies that humans don't even understand. They figured those out by playing billions of games against themselves until they had found ideal solutions.

That's not general AI. That's just simple neural nets, a technology that's been around for 25+ years and is steadily getting better. When we get General AI, then of course it will be able to set its own goals.

On top of that, what if the issue isn't AI setting its own goals? What if the issue is the ease with which it could get into the hands of a Putin, an Asad, a Duterte. Argentina just elected a literal insane person to the presidency, a right-wing extremist who wants to destroy government and who gets policy goals by talking to the spirits of his dead dogs (Javier Milei). What if he gets his hands on a computer superintelligence, or anyone else like him does?

We are nowhere near AI remotely taking over the world :mjlol:

First off, my main concern is not "AI taking over the world". My concern is AI superseding normal human speedbumps. You don't have to think Al Queda is taking over the world to still be concerned about what Al Queda could do with more power.

Second, you have to understand inflection points. We were nowhere close to humans flying a heavier-than-air vehicle....until we were. Then the moment it broke, suddenly our ability to fly accelerated very rapidly. We went from literally not being able to get off the ground to flying across the Atlantic Ocean in just 16 years, and into fukking space just 38 years after that. AI will advance much, much faster than flight did.