Returnal (PS5/PC) (April 30th, Housemarque) - OT

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Finally got a chance to play, it's fun.

I think this is probably the largest scale roguelike to come out since the genre has been popularized.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
This game is fun but as my first roguelike I absolutely abhor this style of game design if they are all like this. I feel it holds this back more than adds to it.

It's a good evolution of jump in, jump out arcade gameplay.

The drawback of the genre more than anything is just the repetition, roguelikes are typically repetitive as hell.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
It's a good evolution of jump in, jump out arcade gameplay.

The drawback of the genre more than anything is just the repetition, roguelikes are typically repetitive as hell.

Thats the thing lol. Aint shyt jump in jump out about this game.

You need some time investment to get going in this.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Thats the thing lol. Aint shyt jump in jump out about this game.

You need some time investment to get going in this.

Well, I'm not far but it seems like as long as you get a good amount of permanent upgrades per run you'll progress fine.

The deep runs are upwards of 2 hours, but in a roguelike I don't typically go for a deep run until I got a good amount of upgrades anyway, so I'm not sure really.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Well, I'm not far but it seems like as long as you get a good amount of permanent upgrades per run you'll progress fine.

The deep runs are upwards of 2 hours, but in a roguelike I don't typically go for a deep run until I got a good amount of upgrades anyway, so I'm not sure really.

You in for a surprise then brehlito, its little to no permanent upgrades here lol. Basically the sword, grappling hook, and the weapon traits. looks to be it.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Oh :unimpressed:

So I gotta get good then :unimpressed:

Yup, had me looking at my screen just like that last night/this morning at how some of my runs ended.

Them big rush you wolf nikkas two shotting you after a hour run :unimpressed:

The goddamn bats:unimpressed:

The first boss sweeping laser catching me lacking the first time I fought him:unimpressed:

Some of these malfunctions made me literally not touch them demon chests any more:unimpressed:

Game is still heat:unimpressed:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Any of ya'll that have the PS app notice that the game sends you notifications of your friends status? Game is super dope. I've been getting merked quite easily, as shooter I'm not too big on, but I'm loving it. I just wish I could get some dedicated time into playing it without interruptions and before it's too late at night.

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
Any of ya'll that have the PS app notice that the game sends you notifications of your friends status? Game is super dope. I've been getting merked quite easily, as shooter I'm not too big on, but I'm loving it. I just wish I could get some dedicated time into playing it without interruptions and before it's too late at night.

Wym notifications of your friends' status? :ohhh:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Wym notifications of your friends' status? :ohhh:

2021-04-30.jpg

Daps
It could probably, but with some serious concessions. Definitely wouldn't be any kind of 4k, not at 60 fps and loading would be bad.
The random map generation would also be severely compromised because of less horsepower
Never played a game like this
I already died a couple of times yet the game just flows :gucci:
Almost beat the boss the first time but of course I died near the end
This game is a classic case of genre/game splicing which has been done very well from what I've played so far
I'm excited to see what developers will come up with now in terms of gameplay mechanics, set pieces, sequences, and ideas with the the power of these systems after playing this, seeing R&C, and even cross gen Lost Souls Aside