Returnal (PS5/PC) (April 30th, Housemarque) - OT

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No, it just doesn't look $70 worth.
I've got 70 on both The Show and Ratchet & Clank. It's not because it's a new IP but because they decided to make a bullet hell roguelike and then put a $70 price tag on it. That is not the price point for these types of games. The value proposition isn't there. This looks like a 7.5 game. Good if you are a fan of the genres, not so much if you aren't, not these genres anyways.

don’t take his comment too seriously...that’s literally how he reacts to anyone who doesn’t profess their undying love for sony exclusives...that’s high key why I threw in the countdown lmaooo

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
And some of us don’t feel like the show or ratchet & clank is worth 70, i mean, like the man said, casuals ain’t gonna fukk with it just like they ain’t gonna fukk with Demon’s Souls.

You can’t say a game ain’t worth the money cause you don’t like the genre. If the production value is good and you get over 15 hours of gameplay out of it whats the problem?

nikkas still out here paying 60 dollars for yoshi’ s woolly world and snipper clips. Tired of hearing this value of video game shyt, when i saw people in the genshin impact thread admitting to spending 3-500 on mtx

Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder but I'm pretty sure what my general sentiment is on these genres as a whole can be readily applied here.

Do you think the binding of Issac, dead cells, downwell or hades or other roguelikes of its ilk would fare well at $70? Last I checked, Hades costs the most at $25.

Or a shooter like Ikaruga, Deathsmile or even a Geometry Wars. $20 tops for this genre at a time.

Sure, dress it up with graphics, nice story and good sound but back to the game play? It is the simplest of game loops. Just shoot shyt and not die. Sure, there is a fan base for this game but I don't see it being very high.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder but I'm pretty sure what my general sentiment is on these genres as a whole can be readily applied here.

Do you think the binding of Issac, dead cells, downwell or hades or other roguelikes of its ilk would fare well at $70? Last I checked, Hades costs the most at $25.

Or a shooter like Ikaruga, Deathsmile or even a Geometry Wars. $20 tops for this genre at a time.

Sure, dress it up with graphics, nice story and good sound but back to the game play? It is the simplest of game loops. Just shoot shyt and not die. Sure, there is a fan base for this game but I don't see it being very high.

...and guess what? If Ratchet and Clank was a 2d side scroller it probably wouldn't cost 70 dollars either. Believe it or not that "dressing up" is actually one of the main reasons its 70 dollars and not 20-40 like their other games. Graphics, voice acting, a huge scipt, music production, sound design, and just generally a way larger scale of production alone warrants the increased price just like any other game.

you are trying to knock points off it for the genre when this is clearly a step in uncharted territory for this specific genre. If Sony is confident the money they invested to bring a smaller studio into the fold of their other AAA studios is worth the full price then the least you could do is hold judgement until you get actual impressions and reviews. Just saying the game doesn;t look to be worth 70 dollars isn't really saying much.

once again, im not trying to pick on Nintendo but if the majority of their games are worth 60 dollars i don't see how a game that clearly is two generations ahead in terms of presentation isn't worth close to the same amount.

like, whats the gameplay loop for Doom? Is it not just shoot at monsters, die, and try again? Breaking down any game in it's simplest form would yield the same argument.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This answers my question as to whether or not they would go ham on the roguelike stuff, (losing all your stuff on death) and it looks like theres a good amount of permanent upgrades.

EyOWes2WQAAUXqW

Last edited: