Reparations for slavery was spent on The military industrial complex

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
given the sorry state japan was in, most people dont believe they were going to last any longer.
Actually, that was the problem. The leaders of Japan did not "think" like Westerners. You would think that with your entire world collapsing around you, you would surrender. But, they didn't. Japanese mentality as it relates to war was way different than the Western mentality. The US started gaining momentum wining in naval battles. Japan was on the defensive and the US was able to start targeting Japan. The US was bombing Japan like crazy but it wasn't enough for them to surrender. The US had asked the Japanese if they were willing to surrender but they weren't. Very stubborn, like Miyagi. Actually, the US wasn't quite sure if dropping nuclear bombs was going to be effective enough to illicit a surrender. But, it worked.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually, that was the problem. The leaders of Japan did not "think" like Westerners. You would think that with your entire world collapsing around you, you would surrender. But, they didn't. Japanese mentality as it relates to war was way different than the Western mentality. The US started gaining momentum wining in naval battles. Japan was on the defensive and the US was able to start targeting Japan. The US was bombing Japan like crazy but it wasn't enough for them to surrender. The US had asked the Japanese if they were willing to surrender but they weren't. Very stubborn, like Miyagi. Actually, the US wasn't quite sure if dropping nuclear bombs was going to be effective enough to illicit a surrender. But, it worked.

:what:

The Japanese were ready to surrender when Russia got involved because they couldn't fight a war on two fronts. They didn't surrender because the US demanded an unconditional surrender. The Japanese objected because they didn't want their Emperor, who they believe is divine, to face the humiliation of military tribunals and such.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
:what:

The Japanese were ready to surrender when Russia got involved because they couldn't fight a war on two fronts. They didn't surrender because the US demanded an unconditional surrender. The Japanese objected because they didn't want their Emperor, who they believe is divine, to face the humiliation of military tribunals and such.
Before the atomic bombs were dropped, Japan was asked to surrender unconditionally on July 26, 1945. Japan did not concede. Japan, or more specifically, the Japanese leaders, were willing to die to the end. Death before dishonor and all that business. They were not ready to surrender.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Before the atomic bombs were dropped, Japan was asked to surrender unconditionally on July 26, 1945. Japan did not concede. Japan, or more specifically, the Japanese leaders, were willing to die to the end. Death before dishonor and all that business. They were not ready to surrender.

Yes they were. The bombing was not necessary. Truman just wanted to test out his new Ratchets on the Japanese for the purposes of frightening the Soviets.

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v16/v16n3p-4_Weber.html

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So like you were there in Japan when the leaders were telling the US, "Hey, we're going to surrender, just don't bomb us with some crazy bomb."

It's not like i'm pulling this out of my ass. Do your own research. Start here with the Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/08/07/why_did_japan_surrender/

In recent years, however, a new interpretation of events has emerged. Tsuyoshi Hasegawa - a highly respected historian at the University of California, Santa Barbara - has marshaled compelling evidence that it was the Soviet entry into the Pacific conflict, not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that forced Japan’s surrender. His interpretation could force a new accounting of the moral meaning of the atomic attack. It also raises provocative questions about nuclear deterrence, a foundation stone of military strategy in the postwar period. And it suggests that we could be headed towards an utterly different understanding of how, and why, the Second World War came to its conclusion.

“Hasegawa has changed my mind,” says Richard Rhodes, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of “The Making of the Atomic Bomb.” “The Japanese decision to surrender was not driven by the two bombings.”

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
It's not like i'm pulling this out of my ass. Do your own research. Start here with the Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/08/07/why_did_japan_surrender/
Well you see, if you actually read the article that you gave a link to, it is saying the decision to surrender was after the Russians joined the war against Japan. No where does it say Japan was going to surrender before the bombs were dropped. Isn't that what you were saying? They were ready to surrender before the atomic bombs were dropped. :ufdup:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well you see, if you actually read the article that you gave a link to, it is saying the decision to surrender was after the Russians joined the war against Japan. No where does it say Japan was going to surrender before the bombs were dropped. Isn't that what you were saying? They were ready to surrender before the atomic bombs were dropped. :ufdup:

:lupe:

I should slap myself with baby powder for posting that article, but my earlier assertion remains and there is a whole school of thought to support it.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
Almost everyone from the WW2 era has died now so it's hard to know what to believe at this point.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
I had no idea millions of people didnt die in wars before guns were invented

:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

• Dap
Reactions: Ill