Remedy Games calls out Series S as being a major development hinderance

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony Stan's are a pathetic bunch, on one hand the Xbox series is nothing for publisher to skip out on because the sales from the system are negligible.

On the other hand, publisher and developers are being held back by the series S because the have to develop for it and can't ignore it

Believe me, if the series S was or actually begins to stifle the vision of developer, you'll see more and more 3rd party exclusive PlayStation deals.

In the meantime, it's just annoying for the developers to have to make it work well. Most these developers would drop features and then some on series S if they could get away with it just to save them the work of having to work around the GPU.

Sony Stan's talking about holding back stuff, meanwhile final fantasy 16 running at 720p with Sonys engineers helping. :mjlol:

Could the S prove to be an actual problem?

Sure, but by the time it does we'll probably be close to rolling into next generation.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
They are gonna juelz and deflect but its becoming such a reoccurring theme its impossible to ignore at this point. Listen to the way the guy had to respond to the question…

“Hmmm how do I say it I love Xbox I love PlayStation…hmmm jezzz…let me just say”

He tried so badly to explain it in a way that didn’t make xbox stans mad just like other developers ahve to walk on eggshells discussing the series s. Meach and Titan are gonna run interference but there’s a reason Larian is already talking about a physical edition BG3 for playstation and releasing one in Japan and haven’t commented on the xbox version
This Stan shyt is beyond me (from both sides of the aisle). The fact that there still is no Xbox release date for BG3 is a huge L. There’s no way around it. You can admit a battle is lost without conceding the whole war. Xbots just gotta take the L.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
“The GPU is an issue”

“Having less memory is a pretty big problem”

xbox stans:

D434517D-5E4E-46BA-8A0D-9EF4C0CD690B

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
And it still was a mistake. It's holding shyt back. Too many devs had said this now for it to be nearly a rumor.

I don't believe that the devs are lazy, I believe that they don't want to work harder on hardware that is behind technologically in a sense. That much I can empathize with. I look at it like this though, It's hard to square this away in one breath when the switch 2 is supposed to have major 3rd party support yet, according to the leak from the FTC in the Microsoft/Activision merger, the specs for said console are going to be in the PS4/Xbox One realm.

So, since the sequel to what will likely end up being the greatest selling console ever is only going to have adequate specs, will they not make games for it? No, they will bytch and moan, but still makes those games.

With some level of compromise, the following play decent on the Switch

The Witcher 3: Complete Edition
Civilization 6
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Doom & Doom Eternal
Crysis
Red Dead Redemption
Dark Souls
Persona 5
I'd even throw in Fortnite, which runs at 30fps on the Switch but can at 60fps on the Series S.

With some compromise, we will see the recent/new Resident Evils, Call of Duty games and more on the next Nintendo console.

It adds extra dev time, I get it but I would also attribute that to workflows not being fully aligned, due to not fixing all issues post covid that messed up the transition from the previous generation. Many developers are trying to do that on the fly.

But, want to know how I know they are just bytching and moaning. These are the minimum specs for Alan Wake 2 on PC

Alan Wake 2 Minimum PC specs​

• Resolution & FPS: 1080p 30 fps
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 HQ or AMD FX-9590
  • Memory: 8-10 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX480
  • Direct X: Version 12
  • Storage: 50 GB
For shyts and giggles, I did some digging.

The graphics card in the Series S is the basic equivalent to the retail Radeon RX 5500 XT

Read more: AMD Radeon RX 480 vs. RX 5500 XT Benchmarked

The new Radeon RX 5500 XT runs cooler, performance is higher, and there's plenty of new Navi goodies under the hood to keep you happy. Would you buy it over the GeForce GTX 1650 or GTX 1650 SUPER? I don't think so -- but that's for another article. The next one out of the gate will look at the GTX 980 Ti vs GTX 1650 vs GTX 1650 SUPER vs the old and new stack of Radeon cards.

Until then, AMD has enough new here with the Radeon RX 5500 XT that it is a big step up over the RX 480. The higher-end Radeon RX 570, RX 580, and RX 590 decimate the RX 5500 XT for the most part -- but that's not what this article is for. This article is solely looking at the RX 480 vs the new RX 5500 XT where the RX 5500 XT beats it in every test here.

The CPU in the Series S is the basic equivalent to the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and comparing that to the AMD FX-9590, I found this.

The Ryzen 7 2700X is ranked the 276th best CPU benchmarked on the site. The FX-9590 is ranked as the 510th best CPU on the site.

I'm not saying lazy devs, but I will say whiny devs.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Exactly my point. It woulda released on XSX at the same time as the PS5 version. Then people coulda got it on their preferred system instead of buying it on ps5 or waiting months. I agree, why hasn’t it been released yet on Xbox?

While I don’t agree, people are claiming BG3 is a generation defining game. It shoulda been out on Xbox the same times as Sony. It’s an L. It is what it is.
It ain’t the series S fault.

So the Xbox Series X version was already in good shape last time I looked at it. So we're just going to go through the motions, 'Okay, what do we still need to do?' Vincke says.

"There's a bunch of stuff that needs to happen to finalize it. But I think from a content point of view and from a technical point of view, we're actually very close."
Larian decided to work on and release the game on their own schedule where most devs woulda waited for all three to be done.