Reggie Jackson talks about Jim Crow & returning to Rickwood Field

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.

Wow, just wow. There’s a deeper discussion in regards to this. I’ll ask this question to kick it off…

Could this actually be on purpose? People will say no because there’s so many Latino players, but we’re talking about BLACK players. Why aren’t there more Black players in the MLB? Why the decline?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Wow, just wow. There’s a deeper discussion in regards to this. I’ll ask this question to kick it off…

Could this actually be on purpose? People will say no because there’s so many Latino players, but we’re talking about BLACK players. Why aren’t there more Black players in the MLB? Why the decline?
Because MLB ignored scouting Black neighborhoods and went to the Caribbean instead for cheaper players they could sign earlier.

When Curt Flood signed with the Reds, Cincy signed 18 players alone from the city of Oakland. That later stopped.

I will keep saying this until I'm blue in the face. Look at the drop off in Puerto Rican players. It's similar to Black American players because Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth under the same US rules of being able to sign a player once they're 18.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

I just watched this earlier this month & Justice hits the nail on the head with his assessment

NYC Rebel

Daps
And to add, MLB took advantage of the Negro leagues filling up their rosters. You had former negro league players still entering the MLB in the 60s and played into the late 70s, the high point of Black Americans in baseball. MLB actively recruited Black players outside of the negro league very little.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Because MLB ignored scouting Black neighborhoods and went to the Caribbean instead for cheaper players they could sign earlier.

When Curt Flood signed with the Reds, Cincy signed 18 players alone from the city of Oakland. That later stopped.

I will keep saying this until I'm blue in the face. Look at the drop off in Puerto Rican players. It's similar to Black American players because Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth under the same US rules of being able to sign a player once they're 18.
this and the rough road to the pros made football and basketball more attractive. My own old man was a monster in baseball in the 70s...but a career in baseball meant the harsh triple A life until you get called up. Whereas playing football got him a scholarship to a D-1 school.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I never was a baseball fan and I couldn’t tell you a thing about who’s who today, but one thing I do know is OUR legends like Reggie Jackson and Willie Mays (RIP). Glad to see that story Reggie told and he didn’t sugarcoat a thing. I was also glad to see legends like Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. on that panel. Back in the 90s, I knew so many of the players and that’s when the league featured many black Americans. Now that that has dwindled away, that’s why I don’t even follow it at all anymore.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

Damn that real. Can’t help but get a lil choked up hearing that.

Like someone else said this wasn’t that long ago. My grandparents are still alive and witnessed all this.

I hope these stories continue to proliferate because we are not that so far removed from what our elders experienced that it can’t be repeated.

Last edited:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Damn that real. Can’t help but get a lil choked up hearing that.

Like someone else said this wasn’t that long ago. My grandparents are still alive and witnessed all this.

I hope these stories continue to proliferate because we are not that so removed from what our elders experienced that it can’t be repeated.

They want to repeat it to whatever degree they're able to.

It why they want to get rid of diversity programs and erase slavery and racism from school textbooks

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

IM GLAD WE STILL HAVE
LEGENDS AROUND TO REMIND PPL
OF THIS COUNTRIES HISTORY.

:devil:
:evil:

They won’t be here much longer. Then what? Folk already tryna rewrite history….legends will not be here to keep them honest.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

Once PR was subjected to the draft, the fall off was crazy.

Also, especially in the last 10-15 years, the money in other sports is just quicker. Too many teams nowadays are doing everything they can not to pay players during their prime years. That's gonna turn off an athlete who can go elsewhere and ascend quicker (like Kyler Murray)

NYC Rebel

Daps
Once PR was subjected to the draft, the fall off was crazy.

Also, especially in the last 10-15 years, the money in other sports is just quicker. Too many teams nowadays are doing everything they can not to pay players during their prime years. That's gonna turn off an athlete who can go elsewhere and ascend quicker (like Kyler Murray)
That's why the whole "Blacks don't want to play" thing is outright false. Puerto Ricans loved baseball to....until they too were subject to the draft rules. Baseball ignored Black players, picking from Negro league players. They barely had any real roots in black communities using the Negro leagues relationship. Once that pipeline extinguished, it was the same ol MLB, this time investing in cheaper labor in the caribbean.

Last edited: