Reddit post going viral after girl tries to compliment her boyfriend. Is being called “husband material” an insult?

dezert_storm

All Star
Daps

I think I destroyed our relationship trying to compliment my boyfriend

“My boyfriend and I are both 28 years old and together for 2.5 years. Yesterday night we were drinking and one thing led to another and I tried to compliment him by saying he is not someone who I would hookup or be a fwb with but marry. I thought everything was fine but he seemed extremely distraught after that. I realized how he understood it and tried to clarify it but he is still the same this morning. He told me he needs space to think for a while and left the house. All my friends tell me I messed it up and guys tell me it’s not a compliment and most men will understand it differently. I think I destroyed our relationship and I am panicking right now.”

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:hubie:She just threw that relationship into the bushes. This reminds me of some shyt I went through.

I was called handsome by women of my age at various times, especially female friends. The guys they gave their attention to were described in much more colorful language. She inadvertently told him that she had her fun and he is the responsible guy who keeps her from being lonely. Ain't no man trying to hear that bullshyt, especially if its something he heard a lot in his youth.

"Why can't I meet a man like you??"

"bytch, here I am! :damn: " but then you get to see her ass with a new boyfriend or hookup every few months who are anything but like you.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Insecure ass nikka
Hook up with but never marry would have been better??
Yea that nikka is insecure. Btch is 28. she aint 34 telling you this.

I really need someone to explain to me what’s wrong with her saying this since I am just a mere female :hubie:
that nikka just insecure. if it was someone she had just met i would have understood But she been in a whole relationship with dude for 2+ years.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I think his problem with the situation is that she essentially told him that he has to give more for the same outcome that other guys would get for free. That is probably what he heard from that conversation.

I never had a woman say anything like that to me. So I am not speaking from experience. What I have experience is women wanting FWB or Hookups, then pivoting to seeking more once they found out how much I made and how I was living as a young man. So mine was on the other end of the spectrum, and truthfully those outcomes were bad to me too. Since they did not think of me as anything serious, until they saw I was living seriously.

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
In 2024 I can't blame dude:yeshrug:Women expose how they see this dynamic between the marriage guy and the guy who triggers raw attraction but won't be a good long term partner. Men want to be desired too:manny: Being a provider has it's own inherent value but the way women today talk about it today reduces the appeal:francis:

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
I think his problem with the situation is that she essentially told him that he has to give more for the same outcome that other guys would get for free. That is probably what he heard from that conversation.
This

There is too much information out there now, we all know that their so called standards slip for certain guys. If society wants more men who are husband material they should do a better job of making it appealing because you have good dudes out here feeling like chumps. The worst thing is that the women who are more disciplined suffer from the actions of other women. Creates a low trust dating environment for everyone.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I really need someone to explain to me what’s wrong with her saying this since I am just a mere female :hubie:
it's one of those things that is better left unsaid. it can show the pragmatism/cold logic/settling side of relationships, in other words it's a romance killer. I'm honestly surprised women of all things can't seem to understand the land mines they're walking into treading this territory.

unless your reasoning for feeling that way is the narrow path to where it's not insulting and your prepared to give full context behind that statement don't say it.

she basically said she ain't physically attracted to him like that. he can't bring the type of desire out of her that causes her to throw caution to the wind for a good time. women can scream insecurity/get over it/toxic masculinity till their blue in the face. most men will be insulted/hurt by the implications of it