Recession hits ESPN, firing hundreds of employees

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
We are implementing changes across the company to enhance our continued growth while smartly managing costs. While difficult, we are confident that it will make us more competitive, innovative and productive.

So where in the world did this come from? ESPN is monstrously profitable and we hadn't heard a word about this until this morning. Well, ESPN has been gobbling up live rights to events left and right, and those rights are really expensive. We've heard they needed to reduce costs as a result. Also: ESPN's parent company Disney is apparently asking all divisions to cut costs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuk ESPN and all these big organizations

first off Why just not eliminate alot of those live rights

secondly eliminate the sports reporters especially mike lupica know it all azz and even outside the lines. u can run stories during sportscenter telecast...

then move on and let magic johnson go, i mean damn he already got his hands in so much other shyt. Stop having steven a. smith do 5 different things from first take, traveling to nba games just to have one on one conversations and hosting mike and mike in the morning..

then they given all these other espn dudes there own radio shows. c'mon myself and probably a bunch of others listen to only about 3 or 4 dudes.. keep freddy coleman dude cover the nfl perfect on sundays.

finally get rid of these fishing, hunting and bunch of other shows where the ratings are probably at what 2% of the viewing market

ESPN Wants to do so much sh!t at one time they had no idea the cost of doing it..

But the shareholders don't give a fuk they want there first class flights, private jets, yachts and bunch of other sh!t at the expense of losing good people

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
"smartly managing costs"

were these a$$holes not essentially in a bidding war with themselves for years upon years in regards to these league rights? werent they the ones who originally upped the bids into the stratosphere in order to steal them from the other main networks? when that bubble bursts, and it will, it will be horrific for some of these networks

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Need to drop those overpaid horrible analysts and bum talking heads on first take, pti (which was played out like 5 years ago), etc

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont think fans really care what station they watch.

Sure ESPN has been the leader, but how many people now watch the ESPN NFL pre-game shows when the NFL Network show is on the at the same time?

Are you serious?

When I listen to XM radio during the college football season, I hear this guys show every evening and his callers are all straight hicks.

yup here is the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sports/ncaafootball/paul-finebaum-joins-espn.html?_r=0

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We are implementing changes across the company to enhance our continued growth while smartly managing costs. While difficult, we are confident that it will make us more competitive, innovative and productive.

So where in the world did this come from? ESPN is monstrously profitable and we hadn't heard a word about this until this morning. Well, ESPN has been gobbling up live rights to events left and right, and those rights are really expensive. We've heard they needed to reduce costs as a result. Also: ESPN's parent company Disney is apparently asking all divisions to cut costs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuk ESPN and all these big organizations

first off Why just not eliminate alot of those live rights

secondly eliminate the sports reporters especially mike lupica know it all azz and even outside the lines. u can run stories during sportscenter telecast...

then move on and let magic johnson go, i mean damn he already got his hands in so much other shyt. Stop having steven a. smith do 5 different things from first take, traveling to nba games just to have one on one conversations and hosting mike and mike in the morning..

then they given all these other espn dudes there own radio shows. c'mon myself and probably a bunch of others listen to only about 3 or 4 dudes.. keep freddy coleman dude cover the nfl perfect on sundays.

finally get rid of these fishing, hunting and bunch of other shows where the ratings are probably at what 2% of the viewing market

ESPN Wants to do so much sh!t at one time they had no idea the cost of doing it..

But the shareholders don't give a fuk they want there first class flights, private jets, yachts and bunch of other sh!t at the expense of losing good people

With the rise of the DVR, live content is at a premium.

All Jazeera pays really well.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
This is about greed.

The company as a whole is making money hand over fist.

Some of the shyt my boss used to tell me about the kind of money Disney makes compared to how much they paid us made me sick.

Not one person that lost their job today had too ... not one.

Exactly. You and the guy who said the sports rights bubble are about to burst are spot on. Especially when you consider
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/may/espn-reportedly-laying-off-hundreds-of-employees.html
One of the anonymous workers laid off today tells Deadspin the motivation behind these severe decisions stem from ESPN not hitting their profit margin and ESPN was forced by Disney to make cuts.... the same Disney whose stock recently reached an all-time high this month. They aren't the only Disney property to be forced into making cuts either. Wrap your mind around that reality.

concise

Veteran
Daps
they need to cut all these espn channels

espn news and espon 3, 4 or whatever they are up to now

and they need to cut back on statisticians that give these retarded ass stats like did you know arod is the best in the mlb when leading off in the 3rd inning on wednesday during a new moon in the month of august :damn:

I agree, its too much... Maybe just keep ESPN 2, but ESPN NEWS and ESPNU aren't really even necessary IMO

ESPNEWS ain't necessary because they ruined it, but sit down with that silly suggestion that they need to get rid of ESPNU. :childplease: That channel is really useful during college football and basketball seasons. You must be crazy. :childplease:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
With the rise of the DVR, live content is at a premium.

All Jazeera pays really well.

Kinda outside of the topic but I remember hearing this during the last TV rights negotiations but owners like Jerry Jones were seriously considering making all games available via PPV...you'd still get your local area game but outside of that you'd have to pay. Don't think it'll happen when the next negotiations go down but best believe these greedy ass dudes are gonna try

BayArea Breez

GOAT Defensive Raider
Daps
what's with all this outrage? y'all got kin who got the ax from ESPN?

my boy works for disney corporate in burbank and they just had a massive lay off last month. this is a Disney decision...

lol @ the outrage