Recession hits ESPN, firing hundreds of employees

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
http://deadspin.com/ex-espner-did-n...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Our source said that ESPN "doesn't have enough money to make the necessary down payments on integration services and the core equipment. They've been stressing on how they would find that roughly $11-$15 million (depending on how they prioritize) and this may just be how they came up with that funding."
yea, they are going to be in dire straits when the sports rights fees bubble breaks

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Our source tells us: "Nearly everyone laid off yesterday were long time employees, with at least two of them very close to retirement, and they were NOT offered early retirement. They were laid off like the rest of us."

can someone sue for this? i hope they can

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I dont think fans really care what station they watch.

Sure ESPN has been the leader, but how many people now watch the ESPN NFL pre-game shows when the NFL Network show is on the at the same time?

Are you serious?

When I listen to XM radio during the college football season, I hear this guys show every evening and his callers are all straight hicks.

What I asking is do any of these other 100% 24/7 sports channels have rights to games?

Fox sports one
NBC sports channel

Those are ESPNs competition

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I dont think fans really care what station they watch.

Sure ESPN has been the leader, but how many people now watch the ESPN NFL pre-game shows when the NFL Network show is on the at the same time?

Ah, but they do, which is why people would rather tune in and complain about ESPN instead of view the alternative.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Ah, but they do, which is why people would rather tune in and complain about ESPN instead of view the alternative.

What alternative?

There has never been a viable alternative to ESPN as a whole....but when there is for certain sports, fans watch that.

ESPN is like Wal-Mart. They're the one stop shop for everything. But they're also expendable b/c if someone else comes along and does it better, people will watch that.

I have no loyalty to ESPN. When CFB season rolls around, all I'm looking for is what station the OU game is coming on. Oh, it's on FSN this week? Cool. Oh, it's on ESPN? Cool.

Don't get me wrong, ESPN does a great job with CFB. But if someone ese does it better I'm gonna watch them.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
What I asking is do any of these other 100% 24/7 sports channels have rights to games?

Fox sports one
NBC sports channel

Those are ESPNs competition

According to Wikipedia:

Fox Sports One

• UFEA Soccer
  • UFC
  • MLB (select games on Saturday night however MLB teams do have cable deals with local Fox Sports affiliates that could be broadcast nationally)
  • NASCAR
  • College Football & Basketball (Pac 12, Conference USA, Big 12, new Big East)

NBC Sports Channel
  • NHL
  • College Football & Basketball (CAA, Ivy League, Mountain West, A-10)
  • Premier League
  • CFL
  • MLS
  • Formula One
  • IndyCar
  • Horse Racing
  • College Hockey

IMO NBC needs to do everything it can to reacquire NBA TV Rights. ESPN has decimated and destroyed live NBA coverage. I'm guessing FOX Sports 1 will back the Brinks Truck up for MLB since they already have the World Series and Playoffs along with the Saturday broadcasts.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
This is about greed.

The company as a whole is making money hand over fist.

Some of the shyt my boss used to tell me about the kind of money Disney makes compared to how much they paid us made me sick.

Not one person that lost their job today had too ... not one.

THIS.