Recession hits ESPN, firing hundreds of employees

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
why 400?

Just stop hiring every retired baseball, basketball, and football retiree...

that will probably save 80 million. lol

And fire thee following people...

Tony Kornheiser
Tom Jackson

add on

kornheiser24.jpg

I hope they got rid of all the staff behind the "my wish" segments. That shyt is depressing :scusthov:

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree, its too much... Maybe just keep ESPN 2, but ESPN NEWS and ESPNU aren't really even necessary IMO

i mean ESPN U is necessary from stand point that if a game not on the main ESPN 2/ESPN channels they pick it up.

whether its basketball or football

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Just got back and was about to post this article before peeping the thread. This is just the tip of the iceberg that's been approaching slowly.

Sports television rights bubble is about to explode.

With the insane amount of money networks are paying the sports leagues to broadcast their games, shyt is finally gonna hit the fan once companies see that a) people are streaming only the stuff they want to watch and b) with almost all the major sports having a digital package that broadcasts every game, fans now have a choice as to what they want to watch instead of what's thrust upon them by the broadcast network.

This same shyt is gonna happen with Fox Sports, NBC Sports Network, etc. once they acquire some of the TV rights ESPN is probably not gonna be able to pick up if Disney has them held up at gunpoint to cut costs.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps

The NBA on NBC was made btter b/c of the product on the court.

Nobody was lauding the NBA on NBC when the Spurs/Lakers were blasting the New Jersey Nets in the NBA Finals in back to back years.

espn news really isnt that necessary

It's really not. Nor is the new ESPN W(women). Nor is the flailing Longhorn Network.

I hate the fact that things that used to be free to watch are now relegated to cable. MNF, the NBA Finals, All-Star game, etc.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
i mean ESPN U is necessary from stand point that if a game not on the main ESPN 2/ESPN channels they pick it up.

whether its basketball or football

Yeah, but my thing is that they need to bump some of that bullshyt ass programming from the main two channels to show more college games.

I rather see college games than another Strongman competition or Bowling, or Cheerleading Competition... Alot of the times ESPN 2 just replays what was on ESPN an hour eariler

And with ESPN News, you already keep a news crawl on the main channels so I just don't see the purpose of them basically running the same stories from Sportcenter 24 hours when Sportscenter already replays like 7 times a day

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Just because you don't think they're competition doesn't mean they aren't? :comeon: They've all been buying rights to different sports leagues and in the next few years they will have more notoriety. You can include the NFL network, YES, MSG, and the Lakers /Dodgers network.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
The NBA on NBC was made btter b/c of the product on the court.

Nobody was lauding the NBA on NBC when the Spurs/Lakers were blasting the New Jersey Nets in the NBA Finals in back to back years.

Not all true. The Spurs played the Nets in '03, the first season it went back to ABC/ESPN.

NBC had their hated reporters also (Vecey, Gray,Jayson Williams) but the network produced a better overall product than what ESPN is doing . I can't even watch any pregame/halftime show coverage they do cause its beyond :gag: now.

Plus NBC had the piff pregame promos :lawd:

Last edited by a moderator:

charknicks

All Star
Daps
If you dont think this is a move because Fox Sports is starting up in August, and they have to sure up some things, you are sadly mistaken. Fox Sports 1 ( and soon, 2) will be BIG comp.

This is Fox Sports message for ESPN right now:

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
If you want highlights and ESPN is showing something besides sportscenter then it's the best option.

ESPN.COM.
If you dont think this is a move because Fox Sports is starting up in August, and they have to sure up some things, you are sadly mistaken. Fox Sports 1 ( and soon, 2) will be BIG comp.

This is Fox Sports message for ESPN right now:

Hulk Hogan! We coming for you.... - YouTube

Does Fox sports have rights to games?

If they don't the they won't be here for long