Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Vocal Mastery. The only voice I would put above hers, and I mean the slimmest of margins between them, is Whitney.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
10 isn't high enough :wow:
She has given me goosebumps and has brought me to tears on numerous songs:wow:
I'll always love this woman.

I can't even make it through this song :mjcry:

There will never be another.:francis:
It's sad to think that music like that is largely gone nowadays.The style of R&B from the 70's 80's & 90's is gone forever. I dont even know what to call the music today.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
Diamonds Are Forever :wow:

I would give Shirley an 7 or 8. Not touching Aretha vocally. Shirley's voice was so powerful but that was about the only thing that stood out. She has a tone very similar to Eartha Kitt. Couldn't listen to her all day. You gotta be in the mood for Shirley.
That's funny that you mentioned her, because that's who I thought sang that when I was younger.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
There will never be another.:francis:
It's sad to think that music like that is largely gone nowadays.The style of R&B from the 70's 80's & 90's is gone forever. I dont even know what to call the music today.
The sad thing is that I'm 100 percent sure the talent is out there, it's just not being cultivated properly.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is good old timey African American church music. Black people that grew up on this and singers like Clara Ward, etc., heard a lot of good music. .

Archangel

Banned
Daps
This is good old timey African American church music. Black people that grew up on this and singers like Clara Ward, etc., heard a lot of good music. .

Absolutely. I asked my mom one time did she savor the music she grew up with; like did she understand that the era of music she came up to would be considered the greatest musical era's of all time...My mom was born in 67 so she grew up in the 70's and 80's. That was the peak of black music to me. She said "nope". She never thought about it like that..

Man, I always tell my wife that I wish I was born in 1965 sometimes so I could experience disco, 70's R&b, 80's r&b and rap and 90's new jack. Shyt aint fair man

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Absolutely. I asked my mom one time did she savor the music she grew up with; like did she understand that the era of music she came up to would be considered the greatest musical era's of all time...My mom was born in 67 so she grew up in the 70's and 80's. That was the peak of black music to me. She said "nope". She never thought about it like that..

Man, I always tell my wife that I wish I was born in 1965 sometimes so I could experience disco, 70's R&b, 80's r&b and rap and 90's new jack. Shyt aint fair man

You also would have heard Gospel, Blues, Rock and Roll and even Country music. Black people played all of that music back then.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gave her a 9..:francis:

Her gospel is untouchable..

But when i weigh her and Houston..:manny:

Whitney has a very slight edge because her voice was more athletic than Aretha..

Tough call for me..

I don't know how people compare Aretha Franklin to Whitney Houston. They are two different type of singers. I just can not imagine under any circumstances people thinking that Whitney Houston had a more "athletic voice." Aretha Franklin was crazy good. Just listen to some of these cuts she is singing on and she could kill a piano.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
I don't know how people compare Aretha Franklin to Whitney Houston. They are two different type of singers. I just can not imagine under any circumstances people thinking that Whitney Houston had a more "athletic voice." Aretha Franklin was crazy good. Just listen to some of these cuts she is singing on and she could kill a piano.

Exactly. I think most like to compare the 2 because the media does it. You can tell people have never actually dived into their music to see the differences.