Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 17.4%

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Would be the goat HBCU if they put money into housing for students and yes it’s that bad. I lived 15 minutes away and worked with students and they all said stories about how bad it was.

adminstration is barely functional.

actually even less than that.

one f********* balls up after the next ...

academics arrogant yet brainless. "jamaican bus driver in london syndrome"

:picard:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
and certified idiots too ...

iu

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Howard University College of Medicine Announces $12 Million Gift from MacKenzie Scott​

Dec 13, 2023

Mackenzie Scott

WASHINGTON - The Howard University College of Medicine has received a $12 million donation from author and philanthropist MacKenzie Scott, part of the $2.2 billion in grants Scott has given this year to 360 organizations nationwide. The unrestricted nature of the gift, which is unusual for donors, allows Howard and the College of Medicine to determine how to make the greatest impact with these new resources.

The College of Medicine will apply the donation towards the establishment of a new innovations center in collaboration with the College of Engineering and Architecture, says College of Medicine Dean Andrea A. Hayes Dixon, M.D. The center will provide opportunities for medical and engineering students to learn about medical technology and subsequently create new devices with the potential of improving patient care.

“The center will allow Howard University students, through the support of MacKenzie Scott, to be leaders in medical technology innovation,” says Hayes Dixon. “We intend to capitalize on the diverse knowledge base of our students—knowledge that could change how medicine is practiced throughout the world.”
Scott, a Princeton University graduate and former student of Howard alumna Toni Morrison, gifted Howard University $40 million in 2020, the largest donation from a single donor in school history.

“My hope is that this gift will further solidify our College of Medicine as a world-class institution that attracts and retains future leaders in the field of medicine,” said President Ben Vinson III, Ph.D. “We are extremely grateful to Ms. Scott for her amazing generosity and know that this gift will only strengthen us, and ultimately, the future of healthcare as our students learn to provide care that improves outcomes for all patients.”

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly

Howard University College of Medicine Announces $12 Million Gift from MacKenzie Scott​

Dec 13, 2023

Mackenzie Scott

WASHINGTON - The Howard University College of Medicine has received a $12 million donation from author and philanthropist MacKenzie Scott, part of the $2.2 billion in grants Scott has given this year to 360 organizations nationwide. The unrestricted nature of the gift, which is unusual for donors, allows Howard and the College of Medicine to determine how to make the greatest impact with these new resources.

The College of Medicine will apply the donation towards the establishment of a new innovations center in collaboration with the College of Engineering and Architecture, says College of Medicine Dean Andrea A. Hayes Dixon, M.D. The center will provide opportunities for medical and engineering students to learn about medical technology and subsequently create new devices with the potential of improving patient care.

“The center will allow Howard University students, through the support of MacKenzie Scott, to be leaders in medical technology innovation,” says Hayes Dixon. “We intend to capitalize on the diverse knowledge base of our students—knowledge that could change how medicine is practiced throughout the world.”
Scott, a Princeton University graduate and former student of Howard alumna Toni Morrison, gifted Howard University $40 million in 2020, the largest donation from a single donor in school history.

“My hope is that this gift will further solidify our College of Medicine as a world-class institution that attracts and retains future leaders in the field of medicine,” said President Ben Vinson III, Ph.D. “We are extremely grateful to Ms. Scott for her amazing generosity and know that this gift will only strengthen us, and ultimately, the future of healthcare as our students learn to provide care that improves outcomes for all patients.”

I think it's really messed up that affluent ppl are only donating to Howard, Morehouse & Spelman

I don't think it's a coincidence either

7 figure donations would benefit mid-tier hbcu's more

lochead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm from where Petey come from
I'm not hating, I'm just pointing out the obvious

Why do these billionaires keep donating to the same 3 schools???
Because they want to :manny:

I get your frustration. Personally I donate to Howard, UMD, and Bowie State. Now all they get is like $400 total but it‘s something :francis:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I think it's really messed up that affluent ppl are only donating to Howard, Morehouse & Spelman

7 figure donations would benefit mid-tier hbcu's more

Yeah we talked about that in some of the Rate this HBCU threads. The well-run mid-tier schools (Claflin, PVAMU, NCAT (not really mid tier), FAMU, Tuskegee, etc.) deserve much more praise and cash.

I am happy to see this though. Someone is helping push back against the next target of anti-affirmative action: medical and professional schools.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

7 figure donations would benefit mid-tier hbcu's more.

7 figure?

Howard just received 12 mil.
E-I-H-T ,now should I continue? You left the G one figure.

*just jokes

But seriously, the Rate HBCU series was great in terms of showing how each school is distinct and what their trajectory appears to be. And separated perceptions from realities.

To attract gifts from non alumni, presidents have to be doing tremendous work to raise the standards and profile of the school, which several of them have done. Or they have to be energetic promoters and court the philanthropic crowd.

I predict that in the next 10 years, the national and global profiles of several schools will rise based on the work they are doing, and the visibility of their top alumni. That will bring them more attention, alumni engagement, and gifts from outsiders.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
7 figure?

Howard just received 12 mil.
E-I-H-T ,now should I continue? You left the G one figure.

*just jokes

But seriously, the Rate HBCU series was great in terms of showing how each school is distinct and what their trajectory appears to be. And separated perceptions from realities.

To attract gifts from non alumni, presidents have to be doing tremendous work to raise the standards and profile of the school, which several of them have done. Or they have to be energetic promoters and court the philanthropic crowd.

I predict that in the next 10 years, the national and global profiles of several schools will rise based on the work they are doing, and the visibility of their top alumni. That will bring them more attention, alumni engagement, and gifts from outsiders.

I'm a finance exec at a top 10 overall school...I worked in higher Ed my entire career

These billionaire donors are changemakers and they know their donations will have the greatest impact at HBCUs not named Howard, Morehouse or Spelman.

These donors know that a donation is an investment that could yield returns for decades

The investment income from an 8 figure endowment could carry an academic dept

I know bc I oversee operating funds, grant and contract funds, gift funds, and endowment funds...and I'm about to enter budget season

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
* runs about 28 minutes

HBCU Week: Tradition and Competition​

Presented in partnership with Maryland Public Television.​

Season 08 Episode 5

PREMIERING MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26 at 9/8c

HBCU Week: TRADITION AND COMPETITION dives into the football culture of HBCUs. Witness the historic rivalry of Hampton and Howard, a testament to tradition and spirit since 1908, and appreciate the intensity of an NC A&T vs. NC Central game, a match steeped in proximity and pride. The episode showcases the extraordinary blend of camaraderie and competition that defines HBCU sports, highlighting their impact on African American communities. Presented in partnership with Maryland Public Television

Last edited: