Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 17.4%

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

Cold Chillin' Records Co-Founder Fly Ty To Be Honored By His Alma Mater Howard University​

October 20, 2023

Cold Chillin' Records and Mr. Magic's Rap Attack co-founder Tyrone "Fly Ty" Williams is being honored this weekend (10/21) by his Alma Mater, Howard University. Ty made history and helped rap music become the powerhouse that it became in the mid 80's as co-creator of Mr. Magic's Rap Attack.

The show, which aired on New York's WBLS, became a breeding ground for record company A&R personnel, as Magic and Tyrone would broadcast music from unsigned artists, prompting listeners to visit record stores looking for music that wasn't commercially available. Tapes of The Rap Attack show traveled around the country and later the world, creating a cult following.

Fly Ty shared his early radio history with Rock The Bells, and explained the birth of Mr. Magic's Rap Attack. "I remember when he first told me that he was going on the radio," he recounts. "He asked me to produce his show and by sheer coincidence, we got hired at WBLS the same week. If you didn't have an FCC license you could work under an engineer's license, but again the engineers thought that rap was ignorant and they saw Magic the same way. Magic was able to work on the radio under my license. I became the producer and engineer for Mr. Magic's Rap Attack."

9ea3d6a5-fe77-4a30-82d5-c4233301c376_Flyty2.jpg

After managing artists and producing records released by Roxanne Shantè, Biz Markie and Craig G on Philadelphia's Pop Art Records, Tyrone, Mr. Magic, and Marley Marl decided to form their own label. After forming the short-lived Bridge Records in conjunction with Pop Art and releasing MC Shan's groundbreaking single, "The Bridge"/"Beat Biter," Ty and company formed Cold Chillin' Records and eventually entered into a distribution deal with Warner Brothers, releasing music by MC Shan, Biz Markie, Big Daddy Kane, Marley Marl, Roxanne Shanté and a pre-Wu-Tang Genius.

Fly Ty, who earned his degree from Washington D.C.'s Howard University, will be honored at the Bison Awards Dinner & Royal Blue Gala during the University's homecoming weekend.

"I am truly honored by the recognition and honor that my school, Howard University, has bestowed upon me. Truly grateful," Ty says of the upcoming ceremony.

He will be honored along with Oscar nominated movie producer Charles D. King, actor and director Amin Joseph, former Biden-Harris SBA political appointee Natalie Cofield, CEO of NFL Players Association Teri Smith and other esteemed honorees.

You there?

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I could, what would you consider the top 10?
A&T number 1 of course

After that

In no order

NCCU
WSSU
FAMU
HOWARD
Morehouse
Clark
Spelman

Not sure who else but that’s a start

But about 80k came to A&T homecoming this year….. shyt was so crazy they brought Covid back

(My old roommate got it) :russ:

FlyBoy718

All Star
Daps
Reppin
BK
My ace and quite a few other people I grew up with attended this beautiful school. Took plenty of trips on the Chinatown bus to kick out there. Enjoyed every visit. That female-to-male ratio :ohlawd: Long before twerking became a part of the mainstream vernacular, I just viewed it as the way girls from New Orleans danced :blessed:Meeting people from the Bay Area was the first time coming across folks who were more eager to rep their city than NYers. Dope collection of Black people from across the country. Many a late night at the McDonalds on Georgia Ave headed to The Towers. Those LaTex parties and Club Love :noah:Quite a few people were always bytching about Admin though :lolbron: A gang of lifelong memories created out there.

I heard stonybrook is a boring school full with Asian students.
As a Stonybrook alum, I can attest to the large Asian population. It's definitely increased over the years. SBU is a commuter school, which takes away from the campus life. Ironically enough, I heard it used to be lit during the 90s as a party school. Solid education nonetheless. My niece is currently doing her thing out there right now.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Would be the goat HBCU if they put money into housing for students and yes it’s that bad. I lived 15 minutes away and worked with students and they all said stories about how bad it was.