Rate: Buffalo

• Total voters

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
You also compared it to Memphis speak on that breh

They are like sister cities separated at birth, there's a kindred spirit among the locals that is really familiar...

Some of the more noticeable similarities start with the tension between the white and black populations, two of the worst cities I've been to with this. Lot of mistrust and racism and the two communities operate within the same atmosphere buy separate. If you're into psychology and sociology of human behavior it is interesting to watch and they are very alike in this way....

The way they rally around their sports and culture is parallel, too. Memphis is a basketball city and breathe Tigers basketball, then Grizzlies, then high school, I mean the entire prep to pro basketball culture in Memphis is as big there as it is anywhere in America, excluding nobody. Buff is the same way with the Bills, then the Sabres, then I'd say UB sports and everything else is next. But the diehard fandom of local teams is deeply rooted and the same way you see white people acting at Bills and Sabres games, you see the same white people at Tigers and Redbirds (AAA baseball) games. The city identities of both are very connected to their sports...

And of course the black populations of both are diehard as well...

Elmwood Ave is like riding down Poplar or Union Ave in Midtown Memphis...

The Buffalo Zoo is located at Delaware Park just like Memphis Zoo is at Overton Park, and both are large recreational parks in the middle of the city that are popular with locals...

Both have rich local food culture, rich local music scenes that are self supporting. I would def say Memphis has the stronger black music legacy but Buff has black music history and Memphis has plenty of white music history, but more than anything just the way the two scenes are self supporting and exist in a bubble is fascinating. You can be a local celebrity just blowing up in the city. I first heard of Yo Gotti when I was in 8th grade in Memphis in '02, and never heard of him on a national stage until '06 or so. He was a local legend before he ever was all over national airwaves...

The spirit of the city being everything to natives is the same. People from Buffalo are proud to be from Buffalo, wear it on their sleeves and their chests, live and die with it. Same is said of Memphis, exactly the same, and both cities kinda peaked early to mid 20th century. You see the remnants of that today, the abandonment and lasting legacies of old factories and artifacts in both cities, and even the downtown's kinda look the same, sitting on the rivers, older architecture still in use, etc...

They are all alike bro, these are just what jump to mind, but when I first visited Buffalo I immediately felt like I'd been there before, and the more and more I went it was like being in Memphis in many ways. It looked different, as the architecture and landscape is obviously different being in two different parts of the country, and the weather was different, but all the aesthetic parallels, I couldn't really run out of...

They are probably the two most unassumingly alike cities in the nation, I'd bet on it. The key is getting to know the local culture and the people. A pass thru the airports or a brief stop where you're only doing touristy stuff in either isn't gonna reveal the intrinsic synergy between the two, especially if you're unfamiliar with both (you're familiar with Buff and I'd bet anything you spent some time in Memphis shyt would start jumping out at you)...

But if one has the time to really get in the neighborhoods and be a part of learning the culture for awhile, it becomes really obvious! Both have a similar place in my heart, I don't know that I'd live in Buff long term, gotta take that back, but if and Memphis have a special place for me...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I've never been, but whenever I think of Buffalo, I think of this video

:mjlol:

Lmao that's hilarious, McGahee went hard at Buffalo but there's alot of non-chain places to eat there, the local food scene is great...

Marshawn is from Cali and I never saw this clip, but I do remember years ago when he got traded to Seattle, he spoke on how he enjoyed and appreciated his time in Buffalo. To that end, I can say the fact of Buffalo being so completely different from anywhere in Cali can be unexpectedly attractive. I'm from Sacramento/Los Angeles, and I didn't think about this at the time, but maybe part of my attraction to Buff and other Upstate areas was because it was so different than my roots...

Trash
Some of the most racist suburbs in all of amerikkka

:mjpls:

Man, my mentor, the older white lady I spoke on, she died in '17. And we had her ceremony in Lake View I believe, we were the only black people there (me, my daughter and her mom), and when we walked into the spot at the fire department you could hear a pin drop. Her kids and husband were great but there were about 100 people there, everyone gave us alot of looks...

Lackawanna, Hamburg, Cheektowaga (where she grew up), all of these places have some bad history of racism...

Being from NYC I'll tell y'all it's a completely different vibe and world and I didn't know what to expect when I went.

I come from boroughs :manny: so I don't see much of a difference

Buffalo is 7 hours away from NYC. It's New York but it's not the city or like the city's surrounding downstate areas. It's far, the culture is different, it's poor, there's no labels, the infrastructure isn't there.

Can you go more in depth as a Borough cat on the differences between Buff and The City?

The city most alike Buff is probably Cleveland, so I know it's way different from NYC, but even compared to Cleveland Buff has a distinct "New York" thing going on that Cleveland doesnt have, it's hard to describe. I do think Cleveland has a slight East Coast flavor, though...

But I'm interested on what you expected going to Buffalo for the first time and how it differs from The City!

It's a shyt hole just like all of the rust belt area. Economically depressed is the right word to describe it. It does have a large black population and a lot of buffalo OGs are thorough.

For sure Buff cats are with the shyts. That's another aspect of similarity with them and Memphis, the street cats in those cities are on a different level than cats in most places...

Rochester the real spot in NY with the realest hustlers and gangstas though...

When I was in NY we were pushing in weed from Sac and I got to network with a bunch of people. There's City nikkas all over the entire Upstate, and everywhere I went, I mean without fail when you met City cats who did bids up north, they all said Buff and Roc nikkas were legit on them yards...

Am I bugging or do the rust belt cities off NY state not look as bad - condition wise as the ones in the Midwest and East coast states such as NJ, PA and MD?

Nah the NY Rust Belt cities tend to look worse from the larger ones like Buff to the smaller ones like Elmira...

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
@ISO you live in Buffalo now?
Nah, nowadays I be back and forth tho.
Can you go more in depth as a Borough cat on the differences between Buff and The City?

The city most alike Buff is probably Cleveland, so I know it's way different from NYC, but even compared to Cleveland Buff has a distinct "New York" thing going on that Cleveland doesnt have, it's hard to describe. I do think Cleveland has a slight East Coast flavor, though...

But I'm interested on what you expected going to Buffalo for the first time and how it differs from The City!
I spoke about it a lil in my review. The city has a different sprawl, lay out, and is different in terms of architecture. Most people live in Buffalo live in two family home apartments many of which are run down. Buffalo doesn't have many high rise and 5-6 story apartment buildings and is less of a concrete jungle than NYC. Buffalo feels more like a Midwestern rust belt city and has a Midwestern type soul. The people are "friendlier" than they are in NYC, Buffalo is the city of good neighbors. In NYC giving a nikka the nod is not something that really happens. People aren't saying hello to you or have a good day as you walk by. Buffalo hoods just have a more gloomy feel and hopeless atmosphere even compared to NYC hoods imo. The accents and slang are different here. The weather is different NYC winters are far milder and not as snowy.

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Do Syracuse NY next...

I'm gonna give Buffalo a 6, it's a pretty nice looking city (downtown wise) with some good food spots and not to mention the home of the greatest Hot Sauce (Frank's Red Hot) ever made.

Franks Red hot is trash :francis:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Nah, nowadays I be back and forth tho.

I spoke about it a lil in my review. The city has a different sprawl, lay out, and is different in terms of architecture. Most people live in Buffalo live in two family home apartments many of which are run down. Buffalo doesn't have many high rise and 5-6 story apartment buildings and is less of a concrete jungle than NYC. Buffalo feels more like a Midwestern rust belt city and has a Midwestern type soul. The people are "friendlier" than they are in NYC, Buffalo is the city of good neighbors. In NYC giving a nikka the nod is not something that really happens. People aren't saying hello to you or have a good day as you walk by. Buffalo hoods just have a more gloomy feel and hopeless atmosphere even compared to NYC hoods imo. The accents and slang are different here. The weather is different NYC winters are far milder and not as snowy.

I don't think Buffalo feels Midwestern---->it feels inland East Coast. I've been to both KC and Indy, and Buff doesn't feel like either at all...

What people call "Midwest" when they refer to Western New York is really Great Lakes culture, which is a blended northern culture of the Great Lake region. It's both Northeast and Midwest, but the true Midwest is more emblematic of places like KC and Indy than even Cleveland...

I've heard people classify Pittsburgh as Midwest too, but it's the same as Buffalo to me. Midwest influences, but mostly an interior Northeast city in the Great Lakes region...

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Buffalo actually has improved the last 4-5 year as of today if significantly improved I'd argue today its severely underrated. Worst thing about it right now is the weather. Obviously gentrification has played a part in it, but coming for someone who actually has lived in and around buffalo a large sections of my life it's amazing what it has become.

A nikka said Frank's is trash:dahell:

@ISO when the last time you lived in buffalo? A lot of your complaints sound aged.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Buffalo actually has improved the last 4-5 year as of today if significantly improved I'd argue today its severely underrated. Worst thing about it right now is the weather. Obviously gentrification has played a part in it, but coming for someone who actually has lived in and around buffalo a large sections of my life it's amazing what it has become.

@ISO when the last time you lived in buffalo? A lot of your complaints sound aged.
My experience is within the last 5 years

What do you think I said that was aged lol

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
My experience is within the last 5 years

What do you think I said that was aged lol
I mean the city has changed within the last 3 just a lot sounds aged but gotcha.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.

NY state should work to make the cities upstate great and similar to how Cali has a vibe in both north and south cal