Rate This City: Day 50 - Buffalo

Rate: Buffalo

• Total voters

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I came to Buffalo for school and ended up working in the school system there. I developed a love/hate relationship the lil city has character which is what won me over. Being from NYC I'll tell y'all it's a completely different vibe and world and I didn't know what to expect when I went.

Buffalo is a typical "rust belt" city once booming when the jobs were there but today pretty economically depressed. I came in an interesting time because it was when gentrification started hitting and the revitalization of downtown started hitting. Also, when y'all boys Westside Gunn, Benny, Conway and 'em started coming up becoming the first known artist from there since fukking Rick James and Brian McKnight lol.

A lot of y'all probably wouldn't think of Buffalo as a diverse city but it is and it's a pretty black city. Around 40% black and has a black mayor and was one of the last stops for Harriet Tubman in the underground railroad. It is a diverse and highly segregated city. The East side is primarily the black side of town, predominantly ADOS and close knit. Not too many West Indians in Buffalo. The West side is primarily the immigrant side of town mostly Somalis and Puerto Ricans, but also Asian Burmese people of the Karen ethnicity, Congolese, Syrians, etc. Buffalo has taken in a lot of refugees. Both sides have a gloomy aura to them and where most of the crime is predicated and both are poor. The cacs stay in North and South Buffalo they tend to be of Italian, Polish, Irish, German descent. The outer suburbs are lily white and there's also some white trash towns. Western New York is considered one of the most racist regions in the country, my first time seeing confederate flags outside the South was here, seeing cacs wearing MAGA hats and being Trump supporters, seeing rental listings saying specifically no black people was here. In the 70's there was a serial killer named Joseph Christopher who was killing black men. While there is a very racist, conservative side there is also a lot of LGBT loving liberal cacs. The gentrified parts of the city are very LGBT friendly. There is a small black Muslim and black Free Mason presence in the city. Small city it's like if you don't know him ya cousin do type vibe.

All the diversity leads to a lot of good places to eat. Buffalo is known for hot chicken wings and beef on weck sandwiches but it's so many places to eat and a lot of ethnic spots. I didn't think there was a great nightlife here it seemed like it catered more for cacs with the bar scene they have. :manny:

Toronto is close though. :lolbron:

It's East Coast but very Midwestern spirit. City of good neighbors. People say hi to you and shyt when you're out. Faygo and Squirt sodas are popular. They say pop here. Lay out is more so houses not apartment buildings like NYC or row houses like Baltimore or Philly.

Downtown is cool and expanding. Canalside is real nice. I like Delaware Park.

The public transport ain't really shyt buses are decent sometimes take way too long to come which sucks because it be cold as fukk. There's a light rail as well. Fare is $2 or $5 for an all day pass.

The weather is absolutely brutal it's stretches where it feels like it snows everyday. I've seen -20 windchill, huge snow falls, days where it's 30 mile per hour winds.

It's a heroin city. Opiate crisis hit cacs hard in the whole upstate and that dope hit the hoods too, you'll see fiends walking around and a good amount of homeless.
As a sports town it's a big Bills city they live and die with them. :dead:

They also have an NHL franchise the Sabres and a minor league baseball team the Bisons.

The city is coming up a bit, it's cheap to live there, and houses are going for the low so I wouldn't be against investing there. I give it a 6.

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I came to Buffalo for school and ended up working in the school system there. I developed a love/hate relationship the lil city has character which is what won me over. Being from NYC I'll tell y'all it's a completely different vibe and world and I didn't know what to expect when I went.

Buffalo is a typical "rust belt" city once booming when the jobs were there but today pretty economically depressed. I came in an interesting time because it was when gentrification started hitting and the revitalization of downtown started hitting. Also, when y'all boys Westside Gunn, Benny, Conway and 'em started coming up becoming the first known artist from there since fukking Rick James lol.

A lot of y'all probably wouldn't think of Buffalo as a diverse city but it is and it's a pretty black city. Around 40% black and has a black mayor and one of the last stops for Harriet Tubman in the underground railroad. It is a diverse and highly segregated city. The East side is primarily the black side of town, predominantly ADOS and close knit. Not too many West Indians in Buffalo. The West side is primarily the immigrant side of town mostly Somalis and Puerto Ricans, but also Asian Burmese people of the Karen ethnicity, Congolese, Syrians, etc. Buffalo has taken in a lot of refugees. Both sides have a gloomy aura to them and where most of the crime is predicated and both are poor. The cacs stay in North and South Buffalo they tend to be of Italian, Polish, Irish, German descent. The outer suburbs are lily white and there's also some white trash towns. Western New York is considered one of the most racist regions in the country, my first time seeing confederate flags outside the South was here, seeing cacs wearing MAGA hats and being Trump supporters, seeing rental listings saying specifically no black people was here. There is a small black Muslim and black Free Mason presence in the city. Small city it's like if you don't know him ya cousin do type vibe.

All the diversity leads to a lot of good places to eat. Buffalo is known for hot chicken wings and beef on weck sandwiches but it's so many places to eat and a lot of ethnic spots. I didn't think there was a great nightlife here it seemed like it catered more for cacs. :manny:

Downtown is cool and expanding. Canalside is real nice. I like Delaware Park.

The public transport ain't really shyt buses are decent sometimes take way too long to come which sucks because it be cold as fukk. There's a light rail as well. Fare is $2 or $5 for an all day pass.

The weather is absolutely brutal it's stretches where it feels like it snows everyday. I've seen -20 windchill, huge snow falls, days where it's 30 mile per hour winds.

It's a heroin city. Opiate crisis hit cacs hard in the whole Upstate. Fiends can be seen on the Eastside and Westside too.
As a sports town it's a big Bills city they live and die with them. :dead:

They also have an NHL franchise the Sabres and a minor league baseball team the Bisons.

The city is coming up a bit, it's cheap to live there, and houses are going for the low so I wouldn't be against investing there.

It’s better than Niagara Falls New York I’ll give it that

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
why hasnt any buffalo rapper blow up?
I don't know rappers don't really seem to come out from the rust belt cities in general.

Buffalo is 7 hours away from NYC. It's New York but it's not the city or like the city's surrounding downstate areas. It's far, the culture is different, it's poor, there's no labels, the infrastructure isn't there. Dr. X wasn't lying when he said it wasn't much opportunity there. These dudes made it though.

All the guys affiliated with this movement are mid-30's up and are street spitters and they rap for a specific niche of fans. WSG need to A&R and find some young nikkas in the city a lot of them are fukked up and dusty though. :picard:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Ruff mothafukkin Buff...

I love Buffalo, and if I could convince my daughters mom to move up north, it would be one of only a handful of places I'd settle in. Almost moved there in 2017...

I lived Upstate for two years, 2011-2013. My girl at the time worked for a stage company outta Binghamton and used to get gigs in Buff, and I got family in Buff. One of my best friends owns a store in Buffalo, and this older white lady who was real special in helping me grow as an adult was from Cheektowaga, so I spent alota time there...

The people and the culture is unique, the food and diversity is on 10000, good looking women, great shopping, great location (you got Ontario to the west, Cleveland to the SW, Pittsburgh south, Rochester east, with plenty if natural recreation all over the place)...

The only thing not to like about Buffalo for me is the winters all over Upstate are fukking brutal. It has a long legacy of racism, for all the bunnies fukking brothers around there White Buff and Black Buff are separate worlds (had an older white dude from the Eastside, tell me he could say the n word freely because he from East Buffalo. He didn't actually say it, he said "n word", but this was in '11 and ge was mid-40s at the time)....

And it is small, alot to do for its size but if you're used to bigger places you can outgrow it...

It's basically a smaller, more urban NY-afied Cleveland, the similarities between Buff and Cleveland jump off the page...

I love it, gets an easy 8 from me...

@Lord Scarf you familiar with Buffalo?
You also compared it to Memphis speak on that breh

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Probably one of the best places in the country if you want to get into skilled trades

Endless amount trade schools, jobs in the trades, they willing to train you, unions and non unions, with an aging population

Place feels like 70% East coast, 30% Midwest

This along with cheap rent and affordable food is a good place for someone who wants to start their career

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Ruff mothafukkin Buff...

I love Buffalo, and if I could convince my daughters mom to move up north, it would be one of only a handful of places I'd settle in. Almost moved there in 2017...

I lived Upstate for two years, 2011-2013. My girl at the time worked for a stage company outta Binghamton and used to get gigs in Buff, and I got family in Buff. One of my best friends owns a store in Buffalo, and this older white lady who was real special in helping me grow as an adult was from Cheektowaga, so I spent alota time there...

The people and the culture is unique, the food and diversity is on 10000, good looking women, great shopping, great location (you got Ontario to the west, Cleveland to the SW, Pittsburgh south, Rochester east, with plenty if natural recreation all over the place)...

The only thing not to like about Buffalo for me is the winters all over Upstate are fukking brutal. It has a long legacy of racism, for all the bunnies fukking brothers around there White Buff and Black Buff are separate worlds (had an older white dude from the Eastside, tell me he could say the n word freely because he from East Buffalo. He didn't actually say it, he said "n word", but this was in '11 and ge was mid-40s at the time)....

And it is small, alot to do for its size but if you're used to bigger places you can outgrow it...

It's basically a smaller, more urban NY-afied Cleveland, the similarities between Buff and Cleveland jump off the page...

I love it, gets an easy 8 from me...

@Lord Scarf you familiar with Buffalo?

Yeah just a hour and 20 min away been there many times