Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Rap music doesn't start the violence but it certainly flames it, increases the intensity of it. Rappers are also using rap music and the money and platform associated with it to fund their criminal activities.
To say rap has no influence in the violence and the deteriorating nature of the culture then you must be delusional.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Takeoff got shot over a dice game/basketball argument (RIP) y'all have to realize that art imitates life in 90% of these situations. I doubt gangsta rap/drill/trap rap made the shooter shoot takeoff, he was going to do that if they were gospel artist. In the 70s people were getting they ass beat to Curtis Mayfield and Marvin Gaye, the mafia were killing people to Frank Sinatra, I doubt those artists were trappers or drill artist.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People who make the claims also need to show the direct correlation between the music and the violence. All that ever gets posted are videos from newer artists with a post that's "look, see I told you".

Prime example of the surface level "Hip Hop made them do it" mentality on here and then claiming that Hip Hop is anti-Black by posting a video of a rapper saying he was Aryan is as ignorant as the lyric that was quoted. Why? It ignores the fact that Cube and other MC's in previous eras invoked KKK imagery to invoke violence, but Cube is not an anti-Black MC. Calling him that would ignore the other aspects of his music.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
In that sense James Brown was the realest to ever do it as he laid the blueprints for diss records, beef and he bust his guns. Those oldschool R&B cats were ridiculously thorough in that sense, no matter what they were singing about on FM.

Above all else this is about influence and anyone who cannot see how corrosive the current trends are to upcoming generations is being willfully ignorant because this isn't the rap we came up with. Its something far more malevolent and ignorant and the awareness of the listener has also dropped via an equal percent so they can't discern what is real and whats entertainment.

All the while the money men profit from the pain and suffering caused by teardrops, closed caskets and crippling addictions as well as an entire generation misled by thinking this is the way it is due to one sided tales of pavement conquests.

It truly is a question of vibration and the fact that, across the board - no matter race, religion, country, language and other things - they're all being drawn toward something so demonic, friends should tell you all you need to know because what happens to the generation after this? Its all a symptom of a far deeper affliction that haunts the souls of the collective.

None but ourselves can free our minds from the invisible bars of the intellectual prison they were placed within....

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
People who make the claims also need to show the direct correlation between the music and the violence. All that ever gets posted are videos from newer artists with a post that's "look, see I told you".

Prime example of the surface level "Hip Hop made them do it" mentality on here and then claiming that Hip Hop is anti-Black by posting a video of a rapper saying he was Aryan is as ignorant as the lyric that was quoted. Why? It ignores the fact that Cube and other MC's in previous eras invoked KKK imagery to invoke violence, but Cube is not an anti-Black MC. Calling him that would ignore the other aspects of his music.

Ignorance is comparing what Cube was doing to a Black man literally using the metaphor as a device to illustrate why he "doesn't fukk with n*ggers"

1968udM.png

5K7CxSD.png

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In that sense James Brown was the realest to ever do it as he laid the blueprints for diss records, beef and he bust his guns. Those oldschool R&B cats were ridiculously thorough in that sense, no matter what they were singing about on FM.

Above all else this is about influence and anyone who cannot see how corrosive the current trends are to upcoming generations is being willfully ignorant because this isn't the rap we came up with. Its something far more malevolent and ignorant and the awareness of the listener has also dropped via an equal percent so they can't discern what is real and whats entertainment.

All the while the money men profit from the pain and suffering caused by teardrops, closed caskets and crippling addictions as well as an entire generation misled by thinking this is the way it is due to one sided tales of pavement conquests.

It truly is a question of vibration and the fact that, across the board - no matter race, religion, country, language and other things - they're all being drawn toward something so demonic, friends should tell you all you need to know because what happens to the generation after this? Its all a symptom of a far deeper affliction that haunts the souls of the collective.

None but ourselves can free our minds from the invisible bars of the intellectual prison they were placed within....

This is the same kind of rap we came up to. You can't sit there and point blame at this generation and then ignore there were lyrics that were just as bad if not worse than the ones that you are condemning.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Rap music doesn't start the violence but it certainly flames it, increases the intensity of it. Rappers are also using rap music and the money and platform associated with it to fund their criminal activities.
To say rap has no influence in the violence and the deteriorating nature of the culture then you must be delusional.

They go even further by inviting others to crowdfund criminal activities.

Lil Durk said:
Why you nikkas postin' son-son? Why you nikkas postin' True?
Why you act like you support us? If you do, hop in that coupe
Grab a gun if you ain't with it, put up money for a gun (Let's get it)
Put up money for a hot car, put up money for a bond (Damn)

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ignorance is comparing what Cube was doing to a Black man literally using the metaphor as a device to illustrate why he "doesn't fukk with n*ggers"

1968udM.png

5K7CxSD.png

So get the noose ready for the lynching
Now 235 is what I'm benching
But nowadays it's still not enough
I got something guaranteed to stop the bum rush--- Ice Cube, "Rollin With The Lench Mob"

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
So get the noose ready for the lynching
Now 235 is what I'm benching
But nowadays it's still not enough
I got something guaranteed to stop the bum rush--- Ice Cube, "Rollin With The Lench Mob"

Well, I stand corrected.

Ice Cube also has similar anti-Black lyrics in his catalogue.

I apologize.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
That is definitely part of it.

Whereas once rappers were street influenced poets that were usually one or two steps removed from what they spoke about now its became a need to be a real life Don who rhymes, brags about his crimes online and leaves a nice evidence trail for the Feds.

Its what I meant about people losing all sense of discernment and its actually a reflection of the dropping of intelligence as a collective, hence Idiocracy Effect.

Like many things in the modern age of rap it can all be traced directly back to Pac who was an exceedingly potent and equally corrosive influence on future generations as the emulated the worst and disregarded the best and this links in to what I said about numbness. His antics laid the blueprints for a lot of what followed in many respects but honestly its way bigger than one man or the rap game itself as it speaks volumes about the whole human race and our currently devolved state.

Nobody seems to question this. Like they're third eye blind to the bigger pic of what is quite obvious to those who know the ledge...
But once again, any uptick or shift in societal behavior amongst the youth is traced back to music, for every generation, every genre, every race. Music created the rebel and rioters, music created serial killers, music increased vandalism, music birthed the gang culture, music created the dropout/vagrant/hoodlum, music birthed drug addicts and alcoholics, music caused promiscuous teenagers and led to teen pregnancy, created the runaway, now music is turning them into murderers.

The numbness I do agree with, but I think that more of a reflection of society as a whole. When securing the bag by means became of more worth than everything else, that allows for the rules of anything goes to be more prominent, and now we are where we are as material things replacing values. Teenagers arguing that "music is just a reflection of the emotions that we have - we have no outlets, so we live through the music. we live our music" has been a talking point as long as elders were questioning their actions and blaming the music. It's a cycle. So at which point did the whole human race devolve? And if you're talking about a downward spiral and what's it mean for the next generation, then that same argument is once again applicable to the previous generations. The only difference from now and 80's - 90's hip-hop is what side of the coin you're now on. You saw G Rap's On the Run video? Or countless other videos that depicted murders and other activities. Hell, those type of videos don't really even exist anymore

Takeoff got shot over a dice game/basketball argument (RIP) y'all have to realize that art imitates life in 90% of these situations. I doubt gangsta rap/drill/trap rap made the shooter shoot takeoff, he was going to do that if they were gospel artist. In the 70s people were getting they ass beat to Curtis Mayfield and Marvin Gaye, the mafia were killing people to Frank Sinatra, I doubt those artists were trappers or drill artist.
Frank always faced criticism for "wanting to be a gangster" in the media. He was connected to the mob. Later reports clean it up saying that he was a pawn or being extorted, but early stories told that he was connected and in...in deep enough to engage in racketeering and such. I'm not sure about Curtis but Delphonics were in the streets, Chuck Berry, Barry White, James Brown...hosts of other musicians from the 50's, 60's, 70's etc.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
Rap wasn't around in the 70s, when folks were still gettin gunned down, and left in trunks somewhere (in cities throughout the US). Murder rates were up then, too.
:manny:

How bout addressing the lack of resources and opportunities in communities. The overwhelming sense of hopelessness, and "born to lose" mentality. Last time I checked, cacs we're the biggest consumers of rap, and make up the majority of these crowds, at large concerts. Yet, I don't see cacs gunning each other down, in their communities. :jbhmm:

Could it be likely, they mostly come from MORE privileged backgrounds? :gladbron:

Just a hunch....:troll:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And to better understand the violence in our communities, America created these conditions. America taught us that it was perfectly OK to pillage, murder, and rape an entire people and take over their land and get away with it. That's gang mentality in a nutshell. After taking over said land, America has slaves to work the land for free all while conditioning them to be submissive by all means up to and including hating everything about himself and aspiring to look like and behave like his master. Doing this all while fighting against a host country for independence. I could go on.