Rapper Eve Reveals Jay-Z Called When Her Debut Album Dropped & Told Her Not to Get Her Hopes Up Because Female Rappers "Don't Really Do That Well

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Eve had to fight her way through, persuading her label that, yes, actually, a song with Stefani would be a good idea. “I always got a lot of pushback,” she says, rolling her eyes. On the day her debut album dropped, Jay-Z rang to congratulate her but also warned her not to get her hopes up because female rappers “don’t really do that well”. She sold two million copies. One exec later told her she should give up and get pregnant. Others were openly rude in meetings. “The audacity that these men had.” She wouldn’t tolerate that today. “Now I have age and experience on my side, nobody’s coming at me like that.”

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
This when Jay was head of Def Jam right? <<<<---- this is sarcasm for what reason would Jay have to say this outside of being a label head

I dont know where he got the female rappers dont do well. They did way beyond well in the 90s

Except Amil..lol

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
This when Jay was head of Def Jam right?

I dont know where he got the female rappers dont do well. They did way beyond well in the 90s

Except Amil..lol

Nooooo

Jay was still trying to grind despite the success of Hard Knock Life. This was like around 99 when the Roc was slowly but surely getting recognized, but we ruff ryding for the time being.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Read dummy.. I said female rappers in the 90s were doing well.
No you read, you idiot. You asked if this was when Jay was the head of Def Jam which didn’t occur until mid 2000s. I’m laughing at your lack of hip hop knowledge to even ask that ignorant ass question. As @The Intergalactic Koala pointed out to you and you still got in your feelings and replied like this. You should’ve just said my bad and lost the attitude.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Nooooo

Jay was still trying to grind despite the success of Hard Knock Life. This was like around 99 when the Roc was slowly but surely getting recognized, but we ruff ryding for the time being.

Oh yeah.. I was trying to r2ally think why Jay would even contact a rival label artist and tell her that. Asking was sarcasm

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Oh yeah.. I was trying to r2ally think why Jay would even contact a rival label artist and tell her that. Asking was sarcasm

I mean they weren't really rivals as they were all on Def Jam. Hell they had the Hard Knock Life Tour together and almost had a super group with Jay, X, and Ja.

Eve dropping and going platinum off the strength of lyrics and not trying to fukk on wax was crazy for the time. Hence why Jay was goofy as hell calling Eve with that corny shyt, when he lucked up with the Annie sample.