Rap Sh!t Starring KaMillion, Aida Osman, Jonica Booth (Created by Issa Rae) ((Show Has Been Cancelled Brehs)) || [Discussion Thread]

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I thought coli brehs hated this show. :skip:

They tried to put some LGBT shyt in there but I am not surprised it got cancelled though.:mjpls:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Yal nikkas on dust if you don't think this show would go crazy on Netflix
:dead:
It depends on what you mean by "go crazy." If you mean go crazy as in having a bunch of black women and gay men giving the show free promo on Twitter (posting clips, jokes, etc) then sure, that would definitely happen. But part of the reason a lot of shows like that are getting cancelled is because the streaming/view numbers aren't good enough to justify multiple seasons. There was a thread a couple years ago about how Netflix often cancels shows before S3. So much of their content is algorithm driven and cynical that if the "black show" doesn't do well enough, they have x other black shows in development that will be wheeled out until one hits. They do the same thing with their women driven shows, the gay shows, the Hispanic shows, etc. They treat this shyt like corporate slop. And if you don't like it or criticize it well buddy you must be a bigot. It couldn't be more cynical or transparently odious to me.

The reason Netflix gonna end up getting sold to Amazon or Apple within the decade is because their business model is based entirely on one thing, which cannot be bought. If you sign up for Prime for the free shipping, the TV shows/movies are essentially icing on the cake; your decision to keep Prime won't have anything to do with that because the dominant, most important service is shipping/shopping/discounts. Therefore Prime will never really need a big time show. Netflix's business response to this is big, tentpole shows that dominate discourse like Game Of Thrones did. Stranger Things for instance, or Ozark, or House Of Cards, or OITNB, etc. Those are the primary, subscriber driving shows they prop up in the absence of a real service (Prime) or product (Apple). And as long as that's the business model, "black shyt" is gonna be treated like a niche market that favors trends. Black trauma is in? Lets get some black trauma shows. Black women driven shows are in? Let's make all our black shows about black women. It's commerce and content, not art.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i feel like the problem with this show is none of the characters were that likable

With insecure women rooted for Issa and dudes rooted for Lawrence, then you had your molly fans, etc. Feel like its a hard sell with this show with all the characters being scammers
Issa and Molly got on my nerves too :mjlol:. But I had to always remind myself of the show's title. Its about the journey of these insecure broads as they grow...the ups and downs along the way. Rap shyt supposed to be about Rap shyt and these nikkas taking forever to get on meanwhile its love drama in which the protagonists are all the way wrong and American Pimp tangents.

Insecure had side characters that grew into main characters that were likable and at different levels of maturity and/or security. All the side characters on Rap shyt are even worse :mjlol:. Like seriously the only person not acting like a child or on total bullshyt is Lamont.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
It depends on what you mean by "go crazy." If you mean go crazy as in having a bunch of black women and gay men giving the show free promo on Twitter (posting clips, jokes, etc) then sure, that would definitely happen. But part of the reason a lot of shows like that are getting cancelled is because the streaming/view numbers aren't good enough to justify multiple seasons. There was a thread a couple years ago about how Netflix often cancels shows before S3. So much of their content is algorithm driven and cynical that if the "black show" doesn't do well enough, they have x other black shows in development that will be wheeled out until one hits. They do the same thing with their women driven shows, the gay shows, the Hispanic shows, etc. They treat this shyt like corporate slop. And if you don't like it or criticize it well buddy you must be a bigot. It couldn't be more cynical or transparently odious to me.

The reason Netflix gonna end up getting sold to Amazon or Apple within the decade is because their business model is based entirely on one thing, which cannot be bought. If you sign up for Prime for the free shipping, the TV shows/movies are essentially icing on the cake; your decision to keep Prime won't have anything to do with that because the dominant, most important service is shipping/shopping/discounts. Therefore Prime will never really need a big time show. Netflix's business response to this is big, tentpole shows that dominate discourse like Game Of Thrones did. Stranger Things for instance, or Ozark, or House Of Cards, or OITNB, etc. Those are the primary, subscriber driving shows they prop up in the absence of a real service (Prime) or product (Apple). And as long as that's the business model, "black shyt" is gonna be treated like a niche market that favors trends. Black trauma is in? Lets get some black trauma shows. Black women driven shows are in? Let's make all our black shows about black women. It's commerce and content, not art.

And you forgot the kicker - once they've gained enough new subscribers from that demographic, and they're sure a certain percentage of those new subs won't cancel their subscription, they can stop making new shows in that niche, and start cancelling the existing ones.

They'll bring you in with Black Lady Show 2

You complete Season 1 of that show within 2 days.

You start watching Love Is Blind, Random Kevin Hart Movie, maybe get into Stranger Things or one of the hundreds of thousands of unrelated content to why you signed up in the first place.

Black Lady 2 Season 2 drops with a shortened episode order - you watch that, but... you're more excited for Love Is Blind 36, Random Dwayne Johnson Movie, Cheap Docuseries 425 and the dozens of unrelated shows you didn't think you'd watch but you got hooked on.

They cancel Black Lady Show 2. You're angry, but you're not gonna cancel because you're in the ecosystem of non-niche, mass-produced and cheaper content or even better - old shows that they license from other studios.

SiMtlGu.gif

The name of the streaming game isn't to serve the customer you have, its to reel in new customers with niche content, get them hooked on the existing and formulaic garbage you produce once they're in (Netflix's Chief Content Officer literally has a term for it 'Gourmet Cheeseburger', Google it), and then cut off the niche content without loosing too many of the new subs and move on to another niche to bait new subs and repeat the cycle.

So it's not about trying to make one of those niche shows a hit. They don't need them to hit. Even niche shows that have moderate-to-big followings, don't cost as much and are critically and award winning get cancelled sooner than they should. And the reason they cancel them is they're sure there are no new subscribers to reel in with that show so they cut their losses.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

:comeon:

There are more people on Netflix that this show would resonate with and connect with than Max. That's really all I was getting at. I'm sure Issa could continue this show on that platform if she chooses to. Same thing happens to a lot of shows that get revived after they pop up on Netflix after years on network TV.

I thought it was a cool story, camera work was great, the characters were interesting etc. Not understanding the hate at all

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Netflix has 250million subscribers. That's one major draw to their format. Anything you put on there is going to have more eyes on it. Esp. with promo and a higher profile Issa Rae. I only have HBO Max, Netflix, and my Mom's Prime

Netflix is now better than Max. Mostly because of the rebrand, partially the strike.

but yeah all streamers are pulling back spending on content, something that costs too much, and isn't getting a lot of engagement, is out. I'm not a good streamer, because I watch specific stuff and then turn it off. I keep Netflix because I'd rather have it when I want it. and too lazy to subscribe/unsubscribe for a petty $20 a month. So, they have my attention.

two great breakdowns in here, great to read.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

Netflix is so far ahead of these other streaming platforms it’s not even funny. Their global imprint is ridiculous. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start absorbing catalogs again. We already see it starting with HBO.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Netflix has 250million subscribers. That's one major draw to their format. Anything you put on there is going to have more eyes on it. Esp. with promo and a higher profile Issa Rae. I only have HBO Max, Netflix, and my Mom's Prime

Netflix is now better than Max. Mostly because of the rebrand, partially the strike.

but yeah all streamers are pulling back spending on content, something that costs too much, and isn't getting a lot of engagement, is out. I'm not a good streamer, because I watch specific stuff and then turn it off. I keep Netflix because I'd rather have it when I want it. and too lazy to subscribe/unsubscribe for a petty $20 a month. So, they have my attention.

two great breakdowns in here, great to read.
That's your opinion, I still see too much trash and misfires in Netflix, Beef was good, that's about it.

They got plenty of shows where ppl self destruct, but Max has ID channel ID watch that first if i was Into that

Only apple got them in scripted drama and they over did on the girl stuff and it's going to take awhile before their cannons reload on the male oriented stuff

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali

Don't use the cancellation of the HBOMax product "Rap shyt" to twist and contort into a reason that Netflix will go under :gucci: I get the algorithms and how they use them, but Netflix greenlights African-American movies and shows and greenlights shows and movies from Nigeria, South Africa, and all over the world. And Prime is going to be ad infused at the end of this month. They shouldn't have to do this when they have the billion dollar a day prime shipping to fall back on, right?. Expensive shows like The Citadel, Lord of the Rings: Rings Of Power, and Wheel Of Time was supposed to be their GOT, Stranger Things, Sopranos, etc. So evidently they can't have expensive flops and just laugh it off because they have prime shipping to fall back on but yet are going the ad route next week. Apple is in the same boat as well. They want to get into the live sports biz to keep Apple TV afloat no matter how many IPhones they sell or don't sell.

Netflix keeps on moving because they have no outside entities to worry about, period. No theme parks to maintain, no cable channels, no cruise ships, no tech items that need to sell and do well on the marketplace, etc. Not saying they're not on some bullshyt at times because they are, but their simplistic business model of being only a streaming company and that's it, works. Everybody rips Netflix but once they're beloved prestige HBOMax show gets the ax is, "Netflix needs to come to the rescue!" :noah: