Ranking of African countries based on cultural influence. Do you agree?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Average person booking a flight to Africa doesn't have Somalia on their list.
If they want to talk about Somalians living in foreign countries making impact fine but the fact that they have to leave Somalia itself means the country shouldn't be near the top.
It’s about global influence though. Theres plenty of “small” countries on that list punching above their weight given population size etc.

Theres only so many Somali refugees because the country is fukked politically. It’s not like these are willing migrants.

invalid

Banned
Daps
not movies from china. Those movies are culturally Chinese, but originate in Hollywood.

And you’re listing titles from Hong Kong or Taiwanese directors etc.

I think my point remains….theres very few CHINESE movies world wide. China doesn’t even export music like that.

Those movies have exported Chinese folklore and culture. Nollywood hasn't don't that yet.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
You're missing the point. I don't know it because it's not exported, as you said "we keep our shyt hush hush". This thread is about global cultural influence. If you don't export, then a person won't know about the culture unless they have a general interest outside the mainstream.
Again these countries are colonial constructs. Every single country has multiple ethnic groups, (with the exception of Somalia) that give the country as whole some form of identity

If you really want to nitpick you would be better off, comparing each ethnic and see how they stack up

Yoruba culture at the moment is the main dominating force for Nigeria in terms of soft power but whose to say that won’t change in 20-30 yrs and slides to a different ethnic group

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Average person booking a flight to Africa doesn't have Somalia on their list.
If they want to talk about Somalians living in foreign countries making impact fine but the fact that they have to leave Somalia itself means the country shouldn't be near the top.
Somalia has lowkey stopped global trade before cause of the pirate thing. So they do have a certain influence on the world. They have kinda hijacked cargo from every major country on earth and have even gotten 2 Hollywood blockbusters (Blackhawk down) (captain Philips).

Some of the higher tier countries in that list don't have films about them (Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, etc) in the same way Somalia has had.

Kind of a pitty their relationship to the world is negative.

Last edited:

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
In terms of culture, which this thread is about:

South Africa-
Politics: Nelson Mandela v. Sani Abacha or Muhammadu Buhari
Religion: Desmond Tutu v. TB Joshua, David Oyedepo
Literature: A Long Walk to Freedom v. Things Fall Apart
Folk History: Zulus v. Yorubas
Film: uCarmen v. ?

Nigeria-
Music: Afrobeats v. SA House
Cuisine: Jollof v. ?
Sports: Teslim Balogun v. ?

Religion: Nigeria takes this one. Nigeria's "prophets" have global influence, much more so than anyone from South Africa. For better or for worse.

Literature: Nigeria takes this one. No one is reading "Cry, the Beloved Country" anymore.

Folk History: They're still speaking Yoruba in Brazil and Cuba. They are still worshipping Ogun, Shango and other deities from Nigeria in the Americas. Nigeria secret societies still function in the Americans despite hundreds of years of slavery and oppression (i.e. Abakua). Nuff said. Hausa is the most widely spoken and most spoken indigenous language in West Africa. Who is speaking Afrikaans outside of racist suburbs in Australia where they claim there's white genocide in SA?

Film: Nollywood crushes South Africa. People are watching Nollywood movies from Zambia to Jamaica.

Music: Afrobeats crushes your amapiano/house

Cuisine: Bunnychow is disgusting. Boer bbq isn't that good. Nigeria wins.

Sports: Nigeria has 3 AFCONs. South Africa probably wins on an Olympic tally though.

Last edited:

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
After his explanation, I would agree.

Sidenote: AFCON caused some serious feuds LOOL. I’m excited and dreading the next one at the same time.

:francis:
My boy from The Gambia was telling me about it. The Nigerian President is mad with some of the other Western African countries for doing business with Guinea.
:francis:
Guinea has a young president from the military rebellion. They got kicked out the economic alliance for West Africa.
:pachaha:
It sucks because the “countries” are artificially made by the Europeans. The people/tribes are broken up by the borders. The Gambia and Senegal are the same people/tribe/religion. Guinea have Mandingo as the second largest people. You are telling me I can’t trade or support my tribe/people because you want to embark a sanction on them. GTFOH.
:damn:
Straight foolery happens at them assemblies.
:snoop:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Religion: Nigeria takes this one. Nigeria's "prophets" have global influence, much more so than anyone from South Africa. For better or for worse.

Bishop Desmond Tutu is one of the most revered Christian leaders in the world and has had massive influence across Christendom for his anti-apartheid activism and fight for human rights being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Again, catapulting SA into global political conversations around the fight for human rights and peace. Not even gonna mention their current involvement within conversations around the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

Nigerian "prophets" do not even come close.

And Nigerian Imams or other Muslim leaders are unheard of.

However, Nigeria has gained notoriety for Boko Haram.

Literature: Nigeria takes this one. No one is reading "Cry, the Beloved Country" anymore.

:pachaha:

Long Walk To Freedom: Sold over 15 million copies and has been in circulation since 1994.

Things Fall Apart: Sold over 10 million copies and has been in circulation since 1958.

And while you talking about Cry, the Beloved Country, it sold 15 million copies, before Paton's death in 1988.

Has been adapted to film, the first starring Sidney Poitier and Canada Lee.

The second starring James Earl Jones and Richard Harris.

You are not being serious. :pachaha:

Folk History: They're still speaking Yoruba in Brazil and Cuba. They are still worshipping Ogun, Shango and other deities from Nigeria in the Americas. Nigeria secret societies still function in the Americans despite hundreds of years of slavery and oppression (i.e. Abakua). Nuff said. Hausa is the most widely spoken and most spoken indigenous language in West Africa. Who is speaking Afrikaans outside of racist suburbs in Australia where they claim there's white genocide in SA?

I can agree with this. But this influence is passive being carried over by the Nigerian diaspora during the transatlantic slave trade.

It is not active influence.

SA's have had their pre-colonial Zulu folklore and history projected in film and tv shows internationally.

Shaka was being broadcast on American TV's on the AMC movie channel since I was a kid catapulting the Zulu's into the imaginations of international audiences as freedom fighters against colonial oppression.

None of Nigeria's pre-colonial folkloric history with respect to the Yorubas, Igbos, or Hausa's has been projected in this way.

The closest thing has been recently with the premier of The Woman King and even though it is fiction, Oyo was portrayed as the antagonist. And even still, not much on Oyo as the film focused on Dahomey.

And with respect to language, internationally, people will recognize Zulu/Xhosa with their recognozable "clicks" before they recognize any of the Nigerian languages.

Yes, Yoruba is spoken in the Americas. The SA languages are more recognozable.

SA has even influenced parts of Black American culture which is where we derive our BGLO stepping tradition from the South African Gumboot miners. Nigeria hasn't contributed this sort of impact to our culture in any way.

Film: Nollywood crushes South Africa. People are watching Nollywood movies from Zambia to Jamaica.

Fine, not going to debate you here.
I still will argue that certain SA films have been projected internationally in a way that Nollywood films have yet to do so.

Music: Afrobeats crushes your amapiano/house

Fine, not going to argue this.

Cuisine: Bunnychow is disgusting. Boer bbq isn't that good. Nigeria wins.

I agree. Can't argue.

Sports: Nigeria has 3 AFCONs. South Africa probably wins on an Olympic tally though.

This is fine. Can't argue this.
However, SA dominates in Rugby and Cricket which catapults their reputation especially throughout Asia.

I don't want to take away from Nigeria and it's massive current and future influence. But SA is neck and neck at this current moment in terms of international influence.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
What's Afrobeats answer to this?

Have yet to hear anything as swaggy as this. :pachaha:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Nigeria, Egypt and SA are heavily populated, so whatever influence they may have is enforced and not organic.