Ranking of African countries based on cultural influence. Do you agree?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
is this cultural influence in Anglophone Nations only?
because the the list would look different in Francophone or Lusophone nation?

edit:Nigeria would probably still make the list in the asian world, but i don't see the case for the other two
egypt wins by default in every country and language sphere on earth cause of the ancient past of the place. Less so because the current people. But you should not forget famous soccer players egypt has produced in the EU.

I will grant you the rest of them tho.

What can you tell us about Angola? I'm low-key fascinated.
He is correct. in the french world there are a crap ton of influential ivory coast citizens, algerian citizens (they fought a huge war with france) (lebron level soccer stars) , tunisians (soccer mainly but also food) , Same could be made for the tremendous influence of Congolese in belgium and france. And Seychelles punches extremely above its weight class as vacation spot like jamaica is in the Anglophone sphere.

As for lusophone, they have influential cape verdians and its a chill vacation spot. Guinea is known for its resources. And mozmbiqueans are active in Lisbon.

And the Angola presidential dynasty is lowkey infamous in portugal for the corruption spending they do; almost similar to suadis in london

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
historical Mali is not the same as current Mali. Same as Ghana.

Historically the Empires of Ghana and Mali were the same people. The modern day Country of Mali is still in the same region as the former Empires and the same ethnic groups live there. The modern day country of Ghana is not even geographically near the Empire of Ghana and the modern country of Ghana has different ethnic groups than the former Empire. The significance of Mali is that the cultural dispersal that has occurred has impacted cultures all around the World.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
It's accurate. Maybe bump Ethiopia slightly higher cause of their influence on rastas and reggae

Also, in the west Ethiopian food is the only African type of cuisine that's commonly found. Nobody is really looking at Nigerian or egyptian restaurants in the greater society. Tho admittedly jolof as an individual food item has some awareness.
I cant think of an ethiopian dish but who the hell doesn't know jollof rice?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If it’s taking history into account it’s Egypt then everyone else .

Mali (Timbuktu/Songhai) ,Kenya,Ethiopia,Ghana and South Africa.

Don’t know if Nigeria is top 5 if you take EVERYTHING into account
Nigeria gets a spot purely for its bombastic diaspora. They are extremely hard to miss and leave a strong impression

Their reputation proceeds them everywhere form new york to tokyo to Guanghzho, to london, to Istanbul, to Mecha, etc

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
egypt wins by default in every country and language sphere on earth cause of the ancient past of the place. Less so because the current people. But you should not forget famous soccer players egypt has produced in the EU.

I will grant you the rest of them tho.

He is correct. in the french world there are a crap ton of influential ivory coast citizens, algerian citizens (they fought a huge war with france) (lebron level soccer stars) , tunisians (soccer mainly but also food) , Same could be made for the tremendous influence of Congolese in belgium and france. And Seychelles punches extremely above its weight class as vacation spot like jamaica is in the Anglophone sphere.

As for lusophone, they have influential cape verdians and its a chill vacation spot. Guinea is known for its resources. And mozmbiqueans are active in Lisbon.

And the Angola presidential dynasty is lowkey infamous in portugal for the corruption spending they do; almost similar to suadis in london
I’ll grant that the list is anglo-biased, because the French-African diaspora is STRONG in Europe

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
so you're telling me injera (just dived into my server) is more popular than jollof? go outside and ask, even in india.
most people know what ethiopian food looks like.

I doubt most people can say what Nigerian food looks like because so much of it resembles what is consumed in the Caribbean lowkey because of the diaspora connection.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Nigeria gets a spot purely for its bombastic diaspora. They are extremely hard to miss and leave a strong impression

Their reputation proceeds them everywhere form new york to tokyo to Guanghzho, to london, to Istanbul, to Mecha, etc
Yeah but in comparison to these other cultures what have they really influenced?