Random NFL Observations 2023-24 Thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Yea that plays a part but lotta of the play callers were just kinda scared

On top of that I don’t think QBs in the mid 2000s were as versatile as they are now

Lots of statues starting at QB in 2000s
you gotta give some examples, because what might look like "being scared" to you is just a byproduct of the era

passing the ball was a lot more difficult, getting a PI or Defensive hold was a whole lot more difficult. third and medium were tough to convert so a lot coaches ran the ball in these situations and also in 3rd and longs unless they had a HoF QB.

nowadays you might watch a game from early 2000s and laugh like why are they running on 3rd and medium. Because it was a lot more about running the ball and playing defense. Teams ran way more and trusted QBs far less.

Shiiiiit some high schools including one I went to ran the ball on like 95% of the plays.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good thing for them they're not supposed to be any good this year

kyler-murray.gif

Caleb about to be throwing to Marvin Jr. next year:wow:

premier58

All Star
Daps

On top of that I don’t think QBs in the mid 2000s were as versatile as they are now

Vock, McNabb, Culpper, Plummer, Garcia, Big Ben, Brooks, McNair, Garrard, McCown were mobile. Point taken, though.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Josh Harris will probably be able to hire a GM/President this offseason and they can start from scratch.
Another reason I question why EB took the job. There's no security, in a division where you've got zero shot at coming in first unless Jalen Hurts gets injured. I wouldn't risk my job on having to get a wild card because that new leadership has every incentive to burn everything down. They could go 9-8, have a decent offense, miss the playoffs, and he'd not only get fired alongside the other coaches...people would still say "see I told you he doesn't understand offense and is nothing without Mahomes." If he doesn't knock this out the park he's not getting another OC job anytime soon in this racist ass league...

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

Agreed. Football might be the one sport that analytics helped improve by showing how it's worth it to risk going for it more on 4th and not needing to be deep in the other team's territory before even considering it.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Another reason I question why EB took the job. There's no security, in a division where you've got zero shot at coming in first unless Jalen Hurts gets injured. I wouldn't risk my job on having to get a wild card because that new leadership has every incentive to burn everything down. They could go 9-8, have a decent offense, miss the playoffs, and he'd not only get fired alongside the other coaches...people would still say "see I told you he doesn't understand offense and is nothing without Mahomes." If he doesn't knock this out the park he's not getting another OC job anytime soon in this racist ass league...
I'm wondering if it's the opposite. He goes to a team with more of a player's coach that has shyt talent. If the team has a bad record the head coach goes. Plus with Rivera being more of a player's coach he can position himself as being more of a disciplinarian. Nothing teams love more than hiring the exact opposite of the head coach they're firing.