Random NBA Observations 2022 - 2023

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
Did what 2 yrs ago?

Beat an injured Lakers team? (Lebron/AD both playing hurt)
Beat an injured Nuggets team? (No Murray)
Beat an injured Clippers squad? (No Kawhi)

Booker was too inconsistent in the finals vs the Bucks. just look at his scoring totals by game:

Gm 1- 27 pts on 8-21 fg
Gm 2- 31 on 12-25 fg
Gm 3- 10 pts on 3-14 fg
Gm 4- 42 pts on 17-28 fg
Gm 5- 40 pts on 17-23 fg
Gm 6- 19 pt on 8-22 fg

Booker had 2 dud games...I'll give him a pass on game 1 since Phoenix won...He needs to be more consistent....Just look at Booker's inconsistency vs the Mavs in the playoffs

Gm 1- 23 pts on 7-20 fg
Gm 2- 30 pts on 11-19 fg
Gm 3- 18 pts on 6-13 fg
Gm 4- 35 pts on 10-22 fg
Gm 5- 28 pts on 11-20 fg
Gm 6- 19 pts on 6-17 fg
Gm 7- 11 pts on 3-14 fg

3 bad shooting games out of 7
You can attribute most runs to injuries. Happens every year. Didn't say Booker is an all time #1 guy, but he has proven what it takes to be one.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
If they lose again to a healthy team that will become the story. They literally have not beat one healthy team since this iteration of The Suns made the offs

And when have the Suns been healthy themselves??
Suns can use the exact same excuse about not being healthy:manny:Booker was playing through a hamstring injury last playoffs and Chris Paul was hurt in 2021. Like I said, most guys are hurt during that time, you play what you get in front of you and Booker did that.

Their window was always extremely small because their second best player is old and his backup is Cam Payne lol. It's unfair to expect Booker to do much with how his roster is this year, they are overachieving right now.

Daps
And when have the Suns been healthy themselves??
Suns can use the exact same excuse about not being healthy:manny:Booker was playing through a hamstring injury last playoffs and Chris Paul was hurt in 2021. Like I said, most guys are hurt during that time, you play what you get in front of you and Booker did that.

Their window was always extremely small because their second best player is old and his backup is Cam Payne lol. It's unfair to expect Booker to do much with how his roster is this year, they are overachieving right now.
They were at least on the court. Giannis himself was hurt in the previous series vs ATL with an injury that was supposed to play a factor in The Finals

I’m not rolling

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
They were at least on the court. Giannis himself was hurt in the previous series vs ATL with an injury that was supposed to play a factor in The Finals

I’m not rolling
And so were LeBron and AD but they were mentioned:jbhmm:so Chris Paul with 1 arm and Booker hamstring is fair but the former 2 get the excuse??

Daps
And so were LeBron and AD but they were mentioned:jbhmm:so Chris Paul with 1 arm and Booker hamstring is fair but the former 2 get the excuse??

We could do that type of thing till the cows come home. The fact of the matter is when The Suns have had to play a team that has their lineup they've lost. The Warriors had good fortune in 15 but they also beat fully healthy squads after the fact & before. There is a possibility that may not happen for The Suns. That's like when Teddy Atlas said anytime Tyson had to fight a fighter worth a damn he lost. :mjcry:

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
For me, it’s whether an in sync Zion/Ingram duo can overcome the deficiencies of CJ/Val over a 7 game series… in a West where every team will have the firepower to take advantage of mishaps.

Everyone knows CJ gon chuck up some streaky bs. Everyone knows Val gon set them moving picks and look incredulous afterwards.

I do agree their defensive strategy vs Booker in the 4th was pretty questionable.
Willie gets away from Point Zion too much. That should always be the focal point of their offense.

Maybe Indy doesn't want to trade Turner since they've been playing better than expected but NO should be calling every day about him trying to swap Val and a pick for him. They never close games with Val so what's the point of keeping him around? They aren't gonna be able to play him next to Zion in the postseason.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
Only players that can start indiscriminately scoring like Booker did tonight in the modern era that are Kobe/Curry/Harden.

LeBron and Durant obviously capable but held back sometimes.
Luka is getting up there and Mitchell has shown spurts.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Willie gets away from Point Zion too much. That should always be the focal point of their offense.

Maybe Indy doesn't want to trade Turner since they've been playing better than expected but NO should be calling every day about him trying to swap Val and a pick for him. They never close games with Val so what's the point of keeping him around? They aren't gonna be able to play him next to Zion in the postseason.

Hopefully their front office sees the need. It feels like Pelicans are on the cusp of being a bonafide championship team. The point guard issue they can rectify with point-Zion and CJ basically playing 2-guard (and 3rd option overall)

… but the big man situation, yea they need a trade. Gotta ship Val outta there, bless his heart. Toronto all over again.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps

Zion is my current favorite player and want to see him succeed. I do see times where teams wall build and it can have him contained in stretches. Of course he has bursts that make up for it. As amazing as he is at getting to the rack and unbelievable finishing, he doesn't have the height of Shaq that would allow him to dominate closer to the basket frequently. he has to get there, while Shaq just had to turn around and overpower people. i therefore wonder if it wouldn't do him good to try to perfect a turnaround Jordan fadeaway now. He has the leaping ability obviously to make it unguardable, and with that as a weapon it would add another dimension to his game.

Daps
Zion is my current favorite player and want to see him succeed. I do see times where teams wall build and it can have him contained in stretches. Of course he has bursts that make up for it. As amazing as he is at getting to the rack and unbelievable finishing, he doesn't have the height of Shaq that would allow him to dominate closer to the basket frequently. he has to get there, while Shaq just had to turn around and overpower people. i therefore wonder if it wouldn't do him good to try to perfect a turnaround Jordan fadeaway now. He has the leaping ability obviously to make it unguardable, and with that as a weapon it would add another dimension to his game.
This is going to be even more evident in the playoffs.

Folks fall in love with what Zion can do in a regular season setting, but that style of play isn't going be as effective once defenses gameplan to take the rim option away from him in the postseason, particularly down the stretch, when his tank is on empty and his drives don't have the same potency as they did earlier in the contest. It'll allow him to conserve energy too; playing through and for contact on every possession burns up your fuel quick. We've seen how this has affected his effort on the defensive end too.

I've been saying it for a minute now, but he needs a jumpshot to unlock his game, otherwise, the basketball public will eventually turn on him for not delivering when he inevitably comes to that dead-end, as they do for every player once their flaws are exposed in that climate.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like he'll be developing a consistent outside shot anytime soon -
It seems he's going to learn the hard way before he'll start incorporating it into his offense.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
This is going to be even more evident in the playoffs.

Folks fall in love with what Zion can do in a regular season setting, but that style of play isn't going be as effective once defenses gameplan to take the rim option away from him in the postseason, particularly down the stretch, when his tank is on empty and his drives don't have the same potency as they did earlier in the contest. It'll allow him to conserve energy too; playing through and for contact on every possession burns up your fuel quick. We've seen how this has affected his effort on the defensive end too.

I've been saying it for a minute now, but he needs a jumpshot to unlock his game, otherwise, the basketball public will eventually turn on him for not delivering when he inevitably comes to that dead-end, as they do for every player once their flaws are exposed in that climate.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like he'll be developing a consistent outside shot anytime soon -
It seems he's going to learn the hard way before he'll start incorporating it into his offense.
Right. The thing that may offset it in the present is Ingram returning, who is a good shooter and offensive player in general that may be able to spread the floor more to counter it. He's only 22 so pleeeenty of time for him to adapt.