Random NBA Observations 2013 - 2014

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Those free agents make me think they aren't trying to wait. :patrice:They've got $80 million in guaranteed money to Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith.

Dumars has shown his lack of patience when it comes to rebuilding and having the right basketball personnel in the past.

The moment he gets cap space he immediately blows it.

Jennings & Smith with Monroe & Drummond is risky. If it doesn't work, Monroe has to go. He's not going to resign for a reduced role and teams will line up with Brinks trucks for his services.

This would've been the perfect year to avoid major spending in free agency and tank. Get a great draft pick in 2014 and have cap space to sign better fits for their future.
Am I missing something here? From my understanding teams are required to spend up to 95% of their cap, so he couldn't just sit on that money like your suggesting. The other difference from last time is he has a lot more flexibility with these signings. That Jennings contract will be easy to move if needed. And he can take the wait and see approach with Monroe and Smith. See if they can all play together or who compliments Drummond better and shop the other. Plus there's about 16 or 17 mil in expirings in contracts with Stuckey and CV that they can move before the deadline or sit on. I'm not the biggest Dumars fan, but he didn't paint himself into a corner this time.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
Am I missing something here? From my understanding teams are required to spend up to 95% of their cap, so he couldn't just sit on that money like your suggesting. The other difference from last time is he has a lot more flexibility with these signings. That Jennings contract will be easy to move if needed. And he can take the wait and see approach with Monroe and Smith. See if they can all play together or who compliments Drummond better and shop the other. Plus there's about 16 or 17 mil in expirings in contracts with Stuckey and CV that they can move before the deadline or sit on. I'm not the biggest Dumars fan, but he didn't paint himself into a corner this time.

You're not required to sign players to hit the salary floor. If you don't hit the floor the rest of the money is split amongst the players you've already signed.

The 76ers are under the cap for like $12 million right now and they will be doing that this year.

They don't have the luxury with being patient with Monroe. If Josh Smith doesn't work at the SF they'll have to trade Monroe, give him the max, or let him walk. Smith's contract will be difficult to move ($14 million a year for the next 4 years).

How many teams were jumping the gun to sign Jennings?

How many teams were interested in Josh this summer when he was a free agent?
Especially for what he signed for. I'm asking for Dre in the deal if I'm taking in Josh's contract. No way the Pistons are doing that.

:manny:

They've committed $80 million to 2 players who have questionable shot selection and need to be in the paint in one form or another to be efficient on offense. They already had that with Monroe and Drummond.

Its preseason, but the Pistons are averaging like 23% from 3. That's not going to cut it in today's NBA.

As a GM, don't you want your 4 best players on the court at the end of the game?

Last edited:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
They have until the trade deadline to evaluate the combo, then they can do what's necessary with Monroe. We'll see how that plays out.

Regarding the shooting, clearly that isn't really a team strength, but I don't think it'll be so bad. KCP ain't found his stroke yet, but I'm not worried. Same thing happened in summer league and he found it the last few games. Also look forward to seeing Datome play too, our Italian shooter who hasn't played yet. Jennings isn't a bad shooter either, and he's also a good pick and roll player, which will help Smith and Drummond.

I'll admit the situations ain't ideal, but I don't think it's as dire as you and a lot of writers are predicting. Whatever happens, I'm more excited as a Piston fan than I've been in s long time. Guess I'll finally hit a game again when I'm back in town.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
You're not required to sign players to hit the salary floor. If you don't hit the floor the rest of the money is split amongst the players you've already signed.

The 76ers are under the cap for like $12 million right now and they will be doing that this year.

They don't have the luxury with being patient with Monroe. If Josh Smith doesn't work at the SF they'll have to trade Monroe, give him the max, or let him walk. Smith's contract will be difficult to move ($14 million a year for the next 4 years).

How many teams were jumping the gun to sign Jennings?

How many teams were interested in Josh this summer when he was a free agent?
Especially for what he signed for. I'm asking for Dre in the deal if I'm taking in Josh's contract. No way the Pistons are doing that.

:manny:

They've committed $80 million to 2 players who have questionable shot selection and need to be in the paint in one form or another to be efficient on offense. They already had that with Monroe and Drummond.

Its preseason, but the Pistons are averaging like 23% from 3. That's not going to cut it in today's NBA.

As a GM, don't you want your 4 best players on the court at the end of the game?

The Sixers aren't $12 million under the floor, they are at $49 million, the floor is $52 million, they will either sign someone to make up the difference or pay out.

They don't have to trade Monroe, people just seem to be calling for it for some weird reason. Drummond and Monroe haven't even had a full season starting next to each other, yet they should get rid of Monroe? He's a big that can score for himself, which is pretty much a rarity in the NBA right now, and he's starting next to a guy that can cover almost all of his deficiencies on defense. And who exactly can they trade him for? since they won't contend with Josh Smith starting at PF, the only way they could is if they could get back Kevin Love or Ryan Anderson in a trade for Monroe, the former is highly unlikely.

You also don't need lights out 3 point shooting if you can rebound and defend (Pacers were 21st in 3 point shooting), it remains to be seen if they can defend, but the rebounding will be there.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
The Sixers aren't $12 million under the floor, they are at $49 million, the floor is $52 million, they will either sign someone to make up the difference or pay out.

They don't have to trade Monroe, people just seem to be calling for it for some weird reason. Drummond and Monroe haven't even had a full season starting next to each other, yet they should get rid of Monroe? He's a big that can score for himself, which is pretty much a rarity in the NBA right now, and he's starting next to a guy that can cover almost all of his deficiencies on defense. And who exactly can they trade him for? since they won't contend with Josh Smith starting at PF, the only way they could is if they could get back Kevin Love or Ryan Anderson in a trade for Monroe, the former is highly unlikely.

You also don't need lights out 3 point shooting if you can rebound and defend (Pacers were 21st in 3 point shooting), it remains to be seen if they can defend, but the rebounding will be there.

Not all of the Sixers contracts are guaranteed some of the $49 million are just camp invites. They won't sign anyone else to make up the difference.

It's not about having to trade Monroe...it's about creating an unnecessary log jam at his position. We already know what Josh is good at. He' been in the league long enough and that's not going to change. He's better as a 4. And the Pistons will be paying him $14 mil at least over the next 3 years at to play that position. That does nothing for Greg.

He's not going to want a reduced role or to come off the bench when he's entering his prime. Even if they maxed him out...it does not make sense for his career when he could get his 36 minutes and be the go to guy elsewhere.

Dumars should have reserved that money to players that fit with Monroe and Drummond.

Last edited:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
@houston911

He may be the one we've been waiting for....
922a233cf045c871c6921f5a1dc91a2d.gif

Seen him do an up and under during the summer league, he's trying to learn a back to the basket game, thank you Sheed :wow:
I was a little disappointed when I found out he and Monroe wouldn't be working with Hakeem due to him taking a full time position with the Rockets. But then when I found out Sheed was coming on as an assistant and would be working with with them full time, :wow:. First thing Drummond said was Sheed had him work on a jumphook from over each shoulder:myman:. Then you add the fact that Sheed was a grade A low post man defender, even if he is:flabbynsick: now, learning from and practicing against that nearly every practice. ..:banderas:. And he already putting it to work and doesn't look uncomfortable doing it. I think his offense is already well ahead of schedule.

And lowkey, the young nikka is hitting his freethrows this preseason. ...I SAID THE nikka IS HITTING HIS FREETHROWS!!!:ohlawd::blessed: