Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Is it ok to just do squats for core activation, or is it necessary to perform ab accessory work as well?

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Speed run through a pull day brahs :mjcry:

Kept forgetting important things at the house while a scoop and a half of #POWDA running through my veins
no-russian-call-of-duty.gif

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I should’ve rephrased that question. Are squats all you need to build core strength?
Likely not:

You can squat but is your form and the weight at a level to create that strength?

Direct core work (sit-ups, crunches, etc) doesn’t mean core strength. I see dudes all the time doing side bends with kettle bells and I’m certain they don’t have core strength.

Son Goku

Daps
I should’ve rephrased that question. Are squats all you need to build core strength?
Likely not:

You can squat but is your form and the weight at a level to create that strength?

Direct core work (sit-ups, crunches, etc) doesn’t mean core strength. I see dudes all the time doing side bends with kettle bells and I’m certain they don’t have core strength.

^This.

You also didn’t define ”core strength” @Swirv. What is that and how do you measure it?

IMO I find (barbell) compound lifts to be better builders of skrenf and isolation movements to be better for developing “aesthetics” (hypertrophy, emphasizing insertions, muscle belly shape, etc), but that is an extreme oversimplification. :whoa:

I think isometric exercises and maybe even high-level calisthenics would be better for what you’re going for than squatting.

As someone who can squat a decent amount but doesn’t do a lot of direct core work, I think I squatted so much in spite of my core, not because my core was strong from squating so much. :patrice:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Likely not:

@Swirv

I will say I’ve started doing stationary marches with two KBs in a rack position and the activation be :leon:

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
FavoriteBabyishLcont-size_restricted.gif
:damn: This is not a drill. Did more practice with a weightlifting belt and hit 95% with no issues. I’m cutting and this was my third leg day of the week so I ain’t push it but THE PR is calling me :damn:

Spent two hours this morning and just woke up from a nap feeling like I got run over by a steam roller

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
:damn: This is not a drill. Did more practice with a weightlifting belt and hit 95% with no issues. I’m cutting and this was my third leg day of the week so I ain’t push it but THE PR is calling me :damn:

Spent two hours this morning and just woke up from a nap feeling like I got run over by a steam roller
:merchant:

Son Goku

Daps

I feel you dog. :obama:

The day after a pull, push/pull, or full power event my lower back usually feels like ground beef and my whole body may or may not feel like I got hit by a (small) car. :noah: