PSVR2 entering production

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
VR isn’t going anywhere stop it.
Sonys gonna take lumps on the way being the first mainstream current console to adopt it but don’t think it (VR) isn’t going to keep coming back until it becomes more widespread. The experience is unlike anything possible on a TV and once the price and availability gets sorted out, it’ll be a force that lays the groundwork for the true next generation of gaming. We’re hitting serious diminishing returns on traditional tv gaming.

While VR might be great, Traditional tv gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I can't see myself ever giving that up.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I tried the Oculus CV1 and ended up giving it away. Need a full library of must-have experiences before I try again, but it will probably be with PSVR if they make a case. I would love to cop an Index but that’s way too much investment when HL:Alyx was what told me VR wasn’t ready for me in the first place

Veteran
Daps
I’m 40/60 on Sony supporting it the way I personally feel like it needs to be supported. They have to lead the charge and flood it with games which I would argue they have their plate full with the PS5 as it is.
I’ve mentioned this before, VR has to be experienced to be understood, but the cost of admission is way too high for people to blindly purchase it and gamble on it. It’s a tough spot spearheading this for consoles especially when you have people who say with a straight face that VR is no different than gaming on a large screen TV.

How many folks do you think haven't experienced VR yet? The Oculus 2 is very accessible at $300 and has sold something like 5 million units.

Veteran
Daps
That's my thing. Facebook treats Oculus as a platform, will Sony do the same or is it going to be treated as a peripheral? Being that it needs a Ps5 to work, it's going to be the latter.
Psvr is great, is fun, I love mine and I can wax philosophically about playing Superhot and Astrobot for the first time.

The oculus quest 2 was my Super Mario 64 moment in VR however. With psvr1, you are constantly reminded that you are tethered, can't get too close to the camera, too far from the camera, sometimes tripping over cords. Being wired is going to give some people pause. I mentioned it before and I'm seeing people on resetera back up that notion. I'm not stressing on the seemingly absent backwards compatibility here but the ability to go roomscale and then just play, unencumbered by a cord is something else entirely. I'm there day one but that doesn't mean that I don't have reservations. I'm content with this being an expensive niche product but how niche is my question. In fact, it's my only question and will ultimately get answered long after I buy one.

PSVR 2 supposed to be one wire now. And with the built in cameras I think that means you don't need a separate camera hanging off the tv.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Nah, this will sell more. Much better technical specs on a new console and it's way less hassle since there's only one wire.
You think the reason the first one didn't sell was because of its technical limitations?

Veteran
Daps
I still haven’t. Glad the PSVR2 with a big AAA game will be my first experience with it

PSVR1 had a few good AAA games. Wasn't perfect, but it was there. Resident Evil 7 was a good one. Also there was Hitman 3 and Skyrim.

Veteran
Daps
You think the reason the first one didn't sell was because of its technical limitations?

I think it was more along the lines of the setup, VR still being relatively new, and cost. The setup was terrible:picard:

playstation-vr-connections-diagram-For-CUH-ZVR1-300x239.png

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I think it was more along the lines of the setup, VR still being relatively new, and cost. The setup was terrible:picard:

playstation-vr-connections-diagram-For-CUH-ZVR1-300x239.png
What I meant to say is that, I don't think that was the reason it sold as much as it did.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
How many folks do you think haven't experienced VR yet? The Oculus 2 is very accessible at $300 and has sold something like 5 million units.

Quest 2 has sold in access of 10 million. Many people still haven't experienced it. I don't focus too much on specs in a world where a DS, 3DS, Wii and Switch beat its technologically superior competition. The Quest 2 is good enough for the masses, it's wireless and it doesn't need a 500 console to run it. The psvr1 sold 5 million on 120 million consoles. There isn't anything that indicates that the psvr2 will have a better fate when all of the same parameters (closed platform, needing said platform) are the same. Which is the greatest as far as value to the public? The 800-900 to play on a psvr2 or the 300 for a Quest 2. Most people tend to be OK with the cheapest option, especially if it is deemed good enough. On the psvr1, they didn't do that against the competition in that space at the time.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
The garbage move controllers were absolutely a technical limitation. VR is growing more popular so this should sell more.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
VR ain’t replacing TV gaming for a plethora of reasons. It isn’t even ideal for every type of game.
You don't know what these kids are going to do. They already moved a majority of their gaming off TV.. They got iphones, ipads, switch and pc. These kids are asking for oculus, switch and gaming pc's for christmas. I know. I got a 3rd grader and see what him and his friends want. A few teen gamers might be asking for a PS5, but y'all know it's our gen with the money and access for them.

Everybody from Facebook to Walmart is pushing VR.. All these stores are going to be trying to sell shyt in the metaverse. So it's going to be in everyone's best interests to push it and keep it going.

10-20 years, you don't know what it's gonna be