PSVR2 CES Previews are dropping, the results are in…

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
previews for PSVR2 dropping after people getting hands on with it for CES. The results are…well..

image0.jpg

There's been a lot said about the PlayStation VR2 for the PlayStation 5, much of which revolves around its high asking price. But having been one of the first to sample the virtual reality kit at the world's largest technology show, CES 2023, I immediately went ahead and pre-ordered one.

The sense of scale is phenomenal too, that being an obvious strength of virtual reality. Call of the Mountain's opening scene sees you floating on the water in a rowboat, while a Stormbird, Tallneck and many other mechanical familiarities roam closely around you. Their presence is so much more powerful than I've felt in any Horizon game before, so I bet there are plenty of treats that I'm yet to experience in the full game.

Sure, there are hurdles to get over in understanding the control system mechanics, and I'm yet to test out combat in this game, but based on my short teaser taster, I think that Horizon: Call of the Mountain could be the game to convince me that virtual reality has legs.

I have to admit, I was very pessimistic about the PlayStation VR 2 before trying it for myself. Its high price and need to be plugged into a PS5 meant that it faced an uphill battle to challenge existing headsets such as the Meta Quest 2 and Pico 4.

But then I was given the opportunity to try out the PSVR 2 at CES 2023, and I came away seriously impressed – this could be one of the very best VR headsets I've ever used.

The OLED display looked fantastic, the haptic feedback was incredibly immersive and the eye-tracking technology felt delightfully futuristic. Factor in the more ergonomic controllers, and there's no doubt that this is a massive upgrade on the original PSVR.

I was able to spend 30 minutes with the PSVR 2 while playing the launch title Horizon Call of the Mountain. Here are my thoughts.

The Sony PSVR 2 has everything I loved about the PSVR, while addressing almost everything I didn't.
The difference in quality is very noticeable. Obviously, the Sony PS5 has more power than the PS4, but the improvements to the resolution and quality of the lenses are still very obvious. Even the lenses are different this time, as the PSVR 2 features Fresnel lenses with an IPD lens adjustment dial. Basically, this lets you improve the spacing to better match the distance between eyes.

My time with the PSVR 2 was brief, but I was very much left wanting more. Of course, the answer to whether it's worth it for you will really depend. If you are a PS5 owner and are intrigued by VR, absolutely. If you don't already own a PS5 the answer gets harder.
At $550, the PSVR 2 isn't cheap — $150 more than the self-contained Quest 2. And again, with the PSVR 2, you also need a $500 PS5 on top of this. That said, you get what you pay for, and the PSVR 2 feels much more like a high-end PC VR experience than the original PSVR ever did.

:wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I need solid confirmation Half Life Alyx is coming. I've always wanted to play it.

I was hoping they’d announce it but i assume its a discussion/negotiation between valve and sony. They got Beat Saber even though Meta owns them, so I think maybe they will bargain with Valve when they release a VR Set also

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Will wait for the PSVR2 Pro that's wireless and doesn't need to be connected to a console
:unimpressed:

Might as well just get a quest then, the cord is what gives it the graphical fidelity of AAA. VR needs be tethered to a more powerful system to take advantage of the hardware

Thats why RE4 VR looks how it does on quest versus how it will look on PSVR2

cjDHtdNEeWcbvhykZehYn7.png

Resident-Evil-8-Village-PSVR-2-VR.jpg

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Might as well just get a quest then, the cord is what gives it the graphical fidelity of AAA. VR needs be tethered to a more powerful system to take advantage of the hardware

Thats why RE4 VR looks how it does on quest versus how it will look on PSVR2

cjDHtdNEeWcbvhykZehYn7.png

Resident-Evil-8-Village-PSVR-2-VR.jpg
I already have a Quest 2... don't even use it
:mjlol: