PSA: Don't sell on eBay

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Facebook Marketplace is the place you go to sell stuff you're looking to dump. It's like a giant garage sale. If you put something on there expecting fair value it will probably sit for at least a month. The good deals don't last more than a few hours.

Honestly at this point I think eBay is best used to get manufacturer refurbished stuff at a good discount. I've gotten a few deals lately though. I got 2 Skip 1s programable remotes for $28 and $32 with $5 shipping and they were new. On the website new ones are $48 with shipping so I saved $26 on both together. Also got a Garmin Drivesmart 71 for $65 and free shipping. I think new ones are over $200.
From a buyers perspective, I see Facebook marketplace as a site where you buy things from people who are cluless of its true value. Ebay is still the safest place to buy high ticket used items. Paid $900 for a NIB GPU during the mining craze in 2020. Ive also purchased some $1000+ used audio gear on ebay as well without issue. Im always skeptical of face to face transactions when prices go over $300, as meeting spots get tricky. .

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
From a buyers perspective, I see Facebook marketplace as a site where you buy things from people who are cluless of its true value. Ebay is still the safest place to buy high ticket used items. Paid $900 for a NIB GPU during the mining craze in 2020. Ive also purchased some $1000+ used audio gear on ebay as well without issue. Im always skeptical of face to face transactions when prices go over $300, as meeting spots get tricky. .
I've attempted to sell stuff on Facebook Marketplace at or even slightly below fair value and it just sits on the site sometimes for months. That in many cases even includes shipping.

The difference between the average Facebook buyer and the average eBay buyer is the Facebook buyer is usually browsing a feed looking for great deals in general. They could take or leave your item. The average eBay buyer is there on the site looking for that specific item.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've attempted to sell stuff on Facebook Marketplace at or even slightly below fair value and it just sits on the site sometimes for months. That in many cases even includes shipping.

The difference between the average Facebook buyer and the average eBay buyer is the Facebook buyer is usually browsing a feed looking for great deals in general. They could take or leave your item. The average eBay buyer is there on the site looking for that specific item.
I've sold a shyt ton of items through Facebook Marketplace over the past year and change. I notice FB buyers are usually VERY cheap and want things for bargains. I tend to get items to resale way below retail so I tend to sell my stuff locally for about 30~50% off at times. I've definitely gotten good sales on there. I use Ebay as a second option if the item isn't too heavy as shipping can burn into the cost.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I've sold a shyt ton of items through Facebook Marketplace over the past year and change. I notice FB buyers are usually VERY cheap and want things for bargains. I tend to get items to resale way below retail so I tend to sell my stuff locally for about 30~50% off at times. I've definitely gotten good sales on there. I use Ebay as a second option if the item isn't too heavy as shipping can burn into the cost.
Facebook is totally a buyer's market. A place to dump stuff you just want to get rid of and not have to have the hassle of returns. I offer a 30 day return policy where the buyer pays shipping on everything I sell on eBay just to not pigeon hole buyers into making a money back guarantee claim. On Facebook all sales are final but I end up taking less because like you said the buyers are cheap and they aren't looking to pay close to fair value.