Reppin
6ix
PS2 had a 13 year sales span...switch is just barely on year 4
you sure? :mjpls:
The ps2 was helped by a few factors
- It was one of the more affordable DVD players at launch
- Sony officially cut the price 2 times throughout it's lifetime
- had the best redesign with the PSTwo
- they made every single component inside the console and they profited off it (hence why they kept it on shelves for so long
- Massive library
- it was available and sold well in a lot of emerging global markets

The PS4 and PS5 price will never be lower than $199

Last edited:
Daps
-It was one of the more affordable DVD player at launch
-Sony officially cut the price 2 times throughout it's lifetime
- had the best redesign with the PSRTwo
- they made every single component inside the console and they profited off it (hence why they kept it on shelves for so long
- Massive library
different era
video games are more popular and mainstream now
Sony has a huge mindshare
New customers will help sales
COVID and everyone being stuck inside will boost sales and drive hype for some time

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
-It was one of the more affordable DVD player at launch
-Sony officially cut the price 2 times throughout it's lifetime
- had the best redesign with the PSRTwo
- Massive library
Every console cuts the price b :skip:

The dvd player was huge tho

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The sales of the ps4 completely tapered off last year, it’s not selling at all anymore in japan and most of the sales here are probably 2nd hand. People are too hype for the 5 at this point.

I think it was also a byproduct of that specific generation probably having been a little too long.

The weird thing is that I don't think Microsoft or Sony would've benefitted from staring their next generations any earlier, but the signs definitely point to people largely being ready for something new.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think it was also a byproduct of that specific generation probably having been a little too long.

The weird thing is that I don't think Microsoft or Sony would've benefitted from staring their next generations any earlier, but the signs definitely point to people largely being ready for something new.

I think at this point we can all agree the pro consoles were a miss

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
devil’s advocate but if sony hadn’t rushed to release the PS5 (and maybe waited til late 2021) do y’all think the PS4 would’ve had a better shot of catching up to the PS2 in sales with COVID leading to a rise in game/console sales?

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Every console cuts the price b :skip:

The dvd player was huge tho
When was the last time the PS4 got a permanent price cut? Ill wait

Their experiment with mid-gen refreshes proves my point, I don't think Sony believes in price cuts anymore.

They would rather increase the value proposition(bundles etc/upgraded version at the same price) than to slash the MSRP

Last edited:

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
devil’s advocate but if sony hadn’t rushed to release the PS5 (and maybe waited til late 2021) do y’all think the PS4 would’ve had a better shot of catching up to the PS2 in sales with COVID leading to a rise in game/console sales?
No
sales were already plateauing for a year

Those who had the slightest interest in the PS4 had already purchased one

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
When was the last time the PS4 got a permanent price cut? Ill wait

Their experiment with mid-gen refreshes my point, I dont think Sony believes in price cuts anymore. They would rather increase the value proposition(bundles etc/upgraded version at the same price) than to slash the MS

not officially since 299. They've bundled since then. The pro is still retail 399 :dead:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think at this point we can all agree the pro consoles were a miss

Ehh. Neither here nor there. Wasn't great, but something NEEDED to be done.

I don't think so. Unless you were replacing a broken system that you absolutely HAD to have, there wasn't really a reason to buy into either ecosystem last year, or even late 2019. The consensus was that it'd be better to just wait until the PS5/XSX came out, and just cop then.

And really, you can only call this console launch cycle rushed because of the Rona. That blew a giant hole in everyone's plans/productivity, and it was better to just launch as planned with maybe more generational overlap than originally wanted, than push back a year.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not really surprised PlayStation had a dope variety of games and niche titles. Plus it’s convenient for the casual gamer to buy a console rather than a pc even though it’s better hardware and cheaper games. I’m interested to see if gamepass gonna be a game changer for Xbox. It already is but is that gonna translate to beating out PlayStation :yeshrug:

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Don't forget the the effect of mass-appeal games like Guitar Hero, Buzz & SingStar (in the UK), DDR etc..

All of those titles droves sales of the system to casual gamers along with a $150-$99 entry price of the PSTwo Slim

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Not really surprised PlayStation had a dope variety of games and niche titles. Plus it’s convenient for the casual gamer to buy a console rather than a pc even though it’s better hardware and cheaper games. I’m interested to see if gamepass gonna be a game changer for Xbox. It already is but is that gonna translate to beating out PlayStation :yeshrug:

No, but certain cats gonna say otherwise.

It's been 3.5 years and the PS4 lead widened each year even after they started putting their 1st party games on there Day 1. :francis:

The PS Brand is just too strong worldwide. Even if, let's say, Gamepass somehow catches momentum like they want it to be...what's to stop Sony from doing the same and beefing up PS Now to truly compete with Gamepass in that scenario.

What cats are also overlooking is 3rd party publishers. That's what cracks me up. Yall really think Take 2, EA, Activision, SquEnix, etc gonna want to make their Day 1 joints available on Gamepass Day 1 especially on a platform that doesn't have the same brand strength across the globe like Playstation and Nintendo does? :mjlol:

But I digress from using common sense.