Playstation Portal Official Thread

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think at some point they'd be able to. Steam Deck can play PS4 games I'm sure SD2 will be able to play next gen games.
I feel the tricky problem will be cost and battery life because I don't think it's feasible at the moment to get PS5 performance. Even the Switch 2 is reportedly is going to be weaker than the Series S and I don't think sony wants to hamstring their consoles for a portable. I think the only option for high end portable gaming will be from steamdeck 2 if they decide to go for power and Windows OEM creating beastly handhelds.

Also, the cost for a PS5 handheld isn't feasible and I don't think the market is willing to spend that much for a handheld PS5 or to play PS4 level games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
And the steamdeck for as successful as it is for Valve still has only sold maybe 2 million units. Thats a disaster for sony coming off the vita, i just dont think theres a real market for it selling like the original PSP in this era without dedicated software.

Not even nintendo is splitting development between handheld and home console anymore

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I feel the tricky problem will be cost and battery life because I don't think it's feasible at the moment to get PS5 performance. Even the Switch 2 is reportedly is going to be weaker than the Series S and I don't think sony wants to hamstring their consoles for a portable. I think the only option for high end portable gaming will be from steamdeck 2 if they decide to go for power and Windows OEM creating beastly handhelds.

Also, the cost for a PS5 handheld isn't feasible and I don't think the market is willing to spend that much for a handheld PS5 or to play PS4 level games.
I guess that's true. I would have liked to get a handheld to substitute my lack of PS5. I feel like I can justify a handheld more so than a console.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I guess that's true. I would have liked to get a handheld to substitute my lack of PS5. I feel like I can justify a handheld more so than a console.
I think the only soultion that works for Sony is if they create a storefornt that has cross-buy functionality with console/pc/mobile. Then all you would need is a device that runs on windows or steamdeck to play their game. I think Sony will eventually get there to have their own storefront on PC, which will make it possible to have native playstation games on the go. I think cost wise it just doesn't make sense for Sony to cut into their development time for a niche market imo.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Probably can’t put a proper “next gen” console in a handheld form. Even the series S draws way too much power to run on a small battery.

But they damn sure could have and should have just made this a proper cloud gaming device without needing to be tethered to your PS5. Maybe even be able to play smaller indie games native.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I think what they should do with this is make it a combo unit with digital only PS5s and sell it at a budgeted price, like 525-550. This way, they can sell the portal as a standalone for the two bills still for those that already have a PS5, but for those that don't, it ensures they get both and with a bit of savings with that. It could also put the portal in more homes at a faster rate as well.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think what they should do with this is make it a combo unit with digital only PS5s and sell it at a budgeted price, like 525-550. This way, they can sell the portal as a standalone for the two bills still for those that already have a PS5, but for those that don't, it ensures they get both and with a bit of savings with that. It could also put the portal in more homes at a faster rate as well.

Yeah, a digital + Portal bundle seems like a no brainer

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Tricky thing is we don't know much stock they have this device. Correct me if I am wrong, but the PSVR 2 was sold out, and that didn't meet expectations. I am curious to see how this performs long-term, and I still feel this device should have cloud because that might've enticed me tbh.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Tricky thing is we don't know much stock they have this device. Correct me if I am wrong, but the PSVR 2 was sold out, and that didn't meet expectations. I am curious to see how this performs long-term, and I still feel this device should have cloud because that might've enticed me tbh.

The PSVR2 actually never really sold out outside of the first week of preorders

And yeah, Selling out doesn’t really mean its selling a lot it just means its selling within their expectations most likely.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Will be interesting to see the pricing and battery life of the new nintendo if they say its more powerful then last gen consoles

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

I think this is Sony’s way of just sticking their toe into the proverbial water. If the Portal does well then I can see a refresh in a year that allows for cloud gaming.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever get a dedicated Sony gaming handheld ever again. The market doesn’t really support it. If anything it would have to be a phone/gaming hybrid or a high end internet connectivity device that happens to do gaming. Dedicated handhelds don’t have the sales potential as they once did now that Apple has positioned the iPhone as a bonafide gaming console. Another poster already pointed out that Nintendo doesn’t even play in the dedicated handheld market anymore and thats a market they literally INVENTED.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think this is Sony’s way of just sticking their toe into the proverbial water. If the Portal does well then I can see a refresh in a year that allows for cloud gaming.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever get a dedicated Sony gaming handheld ever again. The market doesn’t really support it. If anything it would have to be a phone/gaming hybrid or a high end internet connectivity device that happens to do gaming. Dedicated handhelds don’t have the sales potential as they once did now that Apple has positioned the iPhone as a bonafide gaming console. Another poster already pointed out that Nintendo doesn’t even play in the dedicated handheld market anymore and thats a market they literally INVENTED.
Yeah, I think the key is what I mentioned earlier is them creating a storefront with cross-buy functionality. If the storefront can include console/mobile/pc. Then they would have the luxury of having iOS/android and PC handhelds to provide mobile gaming for them. Cost wise it wouldn't make sense for Sony to create a high-end handheld device, but it would be wise to have a storefront, and get a cut.