Playstation gaming practices, as defined and laid out by law.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Judge Corley just released a less heavily redacted version of her denial of the FTC's PI motion:

documentcloud.org/documents/2388…

Additional passages are now publicly accessible, particularly about Sony!

Here's a long passage about Sony's practices that was previously redacted:

As a game publisher, Sony’s PlayStation Studios, is responsible for blockbuster hits like
God of War, The Last of Us, and Spider-Man, the vast majority of which can be played only on
PlayStation. (See PX7053 (Ryan Dep. Tr. Vol. I) at 20:16–20:23; RX5055 at 015–016.) And as a
purchaser of third-party games,
(PX7054 (Ryan Dep. Tr. Vol. II) at 107:10–18.; Dkt. No. 283,
6/23/23 Tr. (Spencer) at 357:12–16.)
Sony views exclusive content as crucial to PlayStation’s continued success and to
“differentiate [their] platform.” (PX7053 (Ryan Dep. Tr. Vol. I) at 212:19–23; RX0079.) As a
result, Sony offers far more exclusive first- and third- party titles than Xbox. (PX7053 (Ryan Dep.
Tr.) at 169:24–170:2; Dkt. No. 283, 6/23/23 Tr. (Spencer) at 362:17–23.) Sony also enjoys “an
enormous competitive advantage” because it can draw on the intellectual property of “Sony
Music, Sony TV, and Sony’s film library” for its game development.
(Dkt. No. 285, 6/28/23 Tr.
(Kotick) at 723:13-16.) The number of exclusive games available on PlayStation dwarfs the
number available on Xbox, with eight exclusive games on PlayStation for every one on Xbox.
(RX2098-001 (“Overall, for every 1 exclusive Microsoft game, PlayStation has 8 of them.”); see
Dkt. No. 284, 6/27/23 Tr. (Bailey) at 684:3–25; RX5055 at 018–019, Exs. 11A, 11B; Dkt. No. 285,
6/28/23 Tr. (Nadella) at 849:1–8 (“The dominant player [i.e., Sony] there has defined market
competition using exclusives and so that’s the world we live in.”).)
Sony has often paid third-party studios to “skip” Xbox—either entirely or to delay a title’s
release on Xbox. (Dkt. No. 283, 6/23/23 Tr. (Spencer) at 313:4–8.) For example, on June 22,
2023, while this trial was happening, Square Enix released Final Fantasy XVI, the latest release in
the iconic Final Fantasy franchise, exclusive to PlayStation 5. Previous versions of Final Fantasy
shipped on Xbox, but the reason Final Fantasy XVI is a PlayStation exclusive is because Sony
“pa[id] to exclude Xbox.” (Id. at 312:20–313:8, 441:18–443:1.) ZeniMax, too, was paid by Sony not to ship Deathloop or Ghostwire for Xbox, and one of the reasons Microsoft bought ZeniMax

was concern Sony would also arrange for Starfield to go exclusive and skip Xbox. (Id. at 314:16–
24.)

For years Sony Stan's argued against the very bolded. The truth of the information now public knowledge:manny:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Paying for exclusives is something Nintendo , Microsoft and Sony do :dead:
Sony has the pick of the litter when it comes to execlusives and they don't stop at just a game being exclusive, a lot of times they make sure it cannot be released on competing platforms at all or for such a long time that it's irrelevant by the time it does release. Nintendo doesn't even engage in locking down major 3rd party titles and IP's like that (anymore). Xbox also doesn't lock down big IP's or game projects like that either.

Sony literally locked down 4 major Final Fantasy games, Deathloop, ghostwire, and attempted to lock down starfield. There isn't a single 3rd party exclusive game that xbox has for a timed exclusive that comes close to those. And out of both phil and the head of MS mouths under oath, they would do away with execlusives if it was up to them but that's what the market leader has defined as key so they playing the game.

Him

1-1800-IMHIM
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Golden △
M$ started all that exclusive and timed DLC bullshyt back in the PS360 era and basically bullied Sony. They couldn’t take the get back Sony been giving them over the last 10 years so they used their infinite money to buy one of the biggest publishers to put a dent in Sonys dominance :mjgrin:

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
Honestly without the exclusives what is the major difference between the xbox and Playstation besides the controller?

All the multiplat games play the same way
It isn't like Nintendo had with the wii and switch where the consoles have some totally different way of playing from each other...

Exclusives matter at the end of the day. Microsoft realized this way too late tryna rely on gamepass to sell consoles.

Now they're tryna buy studios with a bunch of beloved IPs to play catch up. Smart move and it'll likely keep the next console generation more competitive. Series X successor should launch with more exclusives and Sony will have to bring their A game again. Only thing I'm not sure Microsoft can do a good job managing studios and getting good games made. Their approach so far has gotten them really bad exclusives this gen for the ones they did make like halo infinite and Redfall.

Last edited:

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Sony also enjoys “an
enormous competitive advantage” because it can draw on the intellectual property of “Sony Music, Sony TV, and Sony’s film library” for its game development.

That's my Judge, giving us cover to go grab a streaming service.

However I think we end up going after Paramount.

Netflix today said they'd rather license IP than deal with M&A

Disney aren't buyers and $150B is too much.

WBD at $30B is definitely possible but could get held up again over WB Games.

Paramount at $11B is pretty lean and has some attractive IP.

TMNT could easily be our Spider-Man.

SpongeBob could be another platformer.

Scream could be a huge survival horror game with an original story.

The Crow would be right up Ninja Theory's alley.

Mission Impossible could be your Splinter Cell.

Star Trek has a lot of upside in the right hands, with the right formula.

I love WBD but I like Paramount a lot too.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Sony FIlm and TV doesn't have that many valuable properties though.
M$ started all that exclusive and timed DLC bullshyt back in the PS360 era and basically bullied Sony. They couldn’t take the get back Sony been giving them over the last 10 years so they used their infinite money to buy one of the biggest publishers to put a dent in Sonys dominance :mjgrin:
nah they didn't start it. Paying for exclusives is what the industry was built on. Sega and Nintendo paid for exclusives, and same with Sony and Microsoft. I think Microsoft did start exclusive DLC with COD though because I believe they got map packs 1-2 months earlier than Playstation during 360 era.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I was hoping these ps exclusive would encourage xbox step up their game and come out with their own quality exclusives.
Instead they are just trying to get the playstation games on their console? smh

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Honestly without the exclusives what is the major difference between the xbox and Playstation besides the controller?

All the multiplat games play the same way
It isn't like Nintendo had with the wii and switch where the consoles have some totally different way of playing from each other...

Exclusives matter at the end of the day. Microsoft realized this way too late tryna rely on gamepass to sell consoles.

Now they're tryna buy studios with a bunch of beloved IPs to play catch up. Smart move and it'll likely keep the next console generation more competitive. Series X successor should launch with more exclusives and Sony will have to bring their A game again. Only thing I'm not sure Microsoft can do a good job managing studios and getting good games made. Their approach so far has gotten them really bad exclusives this gen for the ones they did make like halo infinite and Redfall.
Redfall is all Arkane's fault. They were making that pile of shyt well before MS got involved.