Playstation 5 Pro is a Powerhouse

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:gucci:
The specs are similar to what's posted in the OP.

As a point of reference PS4 pro was around 150% faster than the PS4 and a larger CPU upgrade.

This is seemingly a more modest update. Not the “powerhouse” claim in your thread title.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I think they need to go back to the PS1 - PS3 blueprint.

Save the jump in power for the next generation and focus on making the existing product smaller and cheaper.

I think part of the reason why the PS2 sold so well is that it was affordable 2 years into its cycle. The PS5 price hasn't really dropped.
This is the best take. PS1, PS2, PS3, and even Xbox 360 got smaller and cheaper throughout their generations. The business model is to make money on the sale of software while selling the hardware at a loss. The PS5 Pro isn't going to be profitable, so which do you think will sell more units, a PS5 Pro or a $299 PS5? Also we are only 2 years away from the PS6.

Tair

Superstar
Daps
As a point of reference PS4 pro was around 150% faster than the PS4 and a larger CPU upgrade.

This is seemingly a more modest update. Not the “powerhouse” claim in your thread title.

It is a powerhouse due to the GPU upgrade.

:manny:

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They really need to shut up about 8k when we don't even have games that can 4k and stable 30fps. Anyway, I think it was obvious there wasn't going to be an upgrade on the CPU, and there would most likely be issues with games that are cpu dependent. I think if there's a decent trade in promo, then I would trade in my PS5. I still think the issue with mid gen upgrades there needs to be a better hook to justify it. I think it worked last gen due to 4k adoption rate went to a very high amount, so people wanted to buy XB1X and PS4 Pro due to getting 4k resolution.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
They really need to shut up about 8k when we don't even have games that can 4k and stable 30fps. Anyway, I think it was obvious there wasn't going to be an upgrade on the CPU, and there would most likely be issues with games that are cpu dependent. I think if there's a decent trade in promo, then I would trade in my PS5. I still think the issue with mid gen upgrades there needs to be a better hook to justify it. I think it worked last gen due to 4k adoption rate went to a very high amount, so people wanted to buy XB1X and PS4 Pro due to getting 4k resolution.
That's not a problem with the hardware. Those are developer choices. Every developer can make a game that's 4k/30, but then y'all would complain about all the graphical features that are missing or that it looks like a last gen game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don’t really understand the ‘gotcha’ here, most current gen AAA games already play at 60 fps, the problem is the performance modes look blurry or lose a lot of LOD.

This would pretty much fix the broken performance modes in games like FF7, XVI, Alan Wake 2, Plague Tale, etc. and sonys own games already figured it out.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That's not a problem with the hardware. Those are developer choices. Every developer can make a game that's 4k/30, but then y'all would complain about all the graphical features that are missing or that it looks like a last gen game.
That's true, I think its the issue where people talk a big game about wanting AA games until they actually see graphics and production.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don’t really understand the ‘gotcha’ here, most current gen AAA games already play at 60 fps, the problem is the performance modes look blurry or lose a lot of LOD.

This would pretty much fix the broken performance modes in games like FF7, XVI, Alan Wake 2, Plague Tale, etc. and sonys own games already figured it out.
Yep, if the specs are real, we're going to be getting performance mode framerates w/ quality mode effects, resolution and more advanced ray tracing. It's weird to try to downplay this.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yep, if the specs are real, we're going to be getting performance mode framerates w/ quality mode effects, resolution and more advanced ray tracing. It's weird to try to downplay this.
It's weird to downplay it, but not weird to over exaggerate it right :mjpls:

It's not a "powerhouse" by any means

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Outlined in documents provided to Insider Gaming under the condition that they are not made public, PlayStation’s ambitions with PSSR is to achieve 4K 120FPS and 8K 60FPS. Whilst these are not the targets for the PS5 Pro due to hardware limitations, it is the internal goal for PSSR in future console interactions.