Pi Hole - Ad Block YOUR WHOLE NETWORK!!! $30

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Brehs,

I had to share, this is THE shyt. This is a free program you install on a Raspberry Pi (30 dollars). It's a DNS server with built in filtering. You can point devices at it individually, or, point your router at it to Ad Block your WHOLE HOUSE. :blessed: I have damn near no Linux experience, the whole thing took me like 20 minutes to set up.

It stops ad requests at router level, since the server names don't resolve. NO ads, ANYWHERE. Even YouTube and Twitch ads, gone :wow:. NO "turn off your ad blocker" messages. A bonus, load times are faster since there are no ad requests eating bandwidth. Probably a tad better for those with data caps. Best 30 dollars (40 with SD card, didn't have one laying around) I ever spent. Only caveat was I had to whitelist a bunch of MS addresses to not break Xbox Live.

Oh yeah, I guess I should go ahead and whitelist The Coli:mjpls:

Side note: there are a ton of other free programs you can run on these. I set up a VPN also. Buy a Pi NOW. Night and day.

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Might give it a shot. I don't mind occasional popups since I have AdBlock but I've started (legally) streaming a few shows on Philo and they are sneaking apps in there and that is getting old. If this does the trick, it might be worth the dub.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
This is great I can always use a good ad blocker and I needed something to give me a reason to dust off my Pi

Daps
Reppin
Dallas
This took me a while to set up but it is working great. I did not realize you had I had to restart the computer to start seeing the ads blocked. I'll still have retroarch on another sd card for the pi. Thanks again.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Do you get any whitelisting or blacklisting?

No white or blacklisting when you use another's DNS server. For network wide adblocking, this is the easiest form and anyone can do it on their router with no extra hardware needed.

Though if you have issues with false positives, they're pretty friendly to issues over at their forum.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
No white or blacklisting when you use another's DNS server. For network wide adblocking, this is the easiest form and anyone can do it on their router with no extra hardware needed.

Though if you have issues with false positives, they're pretty friendly to issues over at their forum.
Sounds cool, but for 30 dollars , I'm sticking with this. I seriously would have paid triple for the utility I'm getting out of this thing.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I have a pfsense router that works amazingly well with the exception of ad blocking. I also have a pi that has been collecting dust since the week I got it. Gonna definitely give this a go. :salute:
how you running PF but can’t get that running breh? PFBlockerNG was pretty easy to set up.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
how you running PF but can’t get that running breh? PFBlockerNG was pretty easy to set up.

I got PFBlockerNG running but doesn't fully block everything. Some stuff still gets through and I haven't had the time/desire to dedicate to troubleshooting. Not to mention I just want to say I'm finally using my pi for more than a paperweight :pachaha:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I got PFBlockerNG running but doesn't fully block everything. Some stuff still gets through and I haven't had the time/desire to dedicate to troubleshooting. Not to mention I just want to say I'm finally using my pi for more than a paperweight :pachaha:
LMFAO good luck with that. I have two paperweights that I find something to do with, only to eventually put the function in a virtual machine a bit later. Happens every damn time :russ:
Regarding PFBlocker, I'd just try a different list off top. Blocks all this Coli shyt

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
LMFAO good luck with that. I have two paperweights that I find something to do with, only to eventually put the function in a virtual machine a bit later. Happens every damn time :russ:
Regarding PFBlocker, I'd just try a different list off top. Blocks all this Coli shyt
I used my pi as an emulator a grand total of one time and threw it in the bushes :heh:

I haven't seen an ad on the coli or sohh in years though. Between AdGuard on my phone and adblock plus/noscript/ublock on my computers I don't know what people are talking about with all the ad traffic

Last edited: