Physical console games are quickly becoming a relatively niche market

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So y’all paying full price for these games? :dahell:

I’m about to cop NBA 2K22 since it’s $20 at GameStop now. Why the hell would I pay $60 on the PStore just to play it digitally? :gucci:

A lot of other games are like that too. No way can I justify that steep price difference
I just looked it up. The digital version is actually cheaper than the physical at GameStop right now.

It’s a total misconception that digital games are just more expensive than physical.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Amazon exists :gucci:

Maybe I should have been clearer. When these companies do decide to finally drop the disk slot the only way to purchase your games will be through the respective markets that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo provide. Those companies can shut down store to previous consoles or create artificial scarcity at any time. And when that happens, you will not have a way to purchase older games. Doesn't necessarily mean that this scenario will happen but we've seen them do things like I'm describing in the past.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
Maybe I should have been clearer. When these companies do decide to finally drop the disk slot the only way to purchase your games will be through the respective markets that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo provide. Those companies can shut down store to previous consoles or create artificial scarcity at any time. And when that happens, you will not have a way to purchase older games. Doesn't necessarily mean that this scenario will happen but we've seen them do things like I'm describing in the past.

The second part was clear and I agreed with but I'm not sure how what you just said applies to the going out to purchase comment.

Regardless I agree with what you said in terms of scarcity.

The average person will not think I prefer physical or digital and will ultimately just purchase what is the most convenient.

At that point I'll just be exclusively a PC gamer though collecting and being able to revisit games years later without fear of it being delisted etc it part of the appeal to me.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Physical are always cheaper than digital. I prefer physical
By using the Amazon Prime Visa I get 5% cash back on all my digital game purchases by buying PSN / Xbox cards on Amazon and using those to buy the games on their given network. There isn't really any advantage to buying new games physical so I don't anymore. Once the game has been out a while physical is usually way cheaper.

I go with the cheapest option.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
There’s still the issue of not everyone having viable internet connection that makes physical disc still of upmost importance to some.
With all the massive patches released I just don't see it. Having at least average internet is a prerequisite to owning a modern game console.