Albums Pete Rock & Common - The Auditorium, Vol. 1 (Discussion Thread) | Update : Tour Coming

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

skillz2

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Q-tip is dope. But.. Tip once jacked one of PRs beats. ..."Pete Rock for the beat and you don't stop"

I think Tip is sometimes overlooked because the production on those tribe albums are not solely credited to him. Although Tip probably did most of the production on the first three tribe releases J Dilla and Ali Shaheed were certainly involved heavily on albums 4 and 5. I mean Dilla even did a couple of beats on Tip's classic solo album the Renaissance.

Outside of the Tribe albums Tip doesn't have the classics that Pete Rock has; so I think it's a bit of a reach to say Tip is easily better. Nevertheless Tip is one of the greats though.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Q-tip is dope. But.. Tip once jacked one of PRs beats. ..."Pete Rock for the beat and you don't stop"

I think Tip is sometimes overlooked because the production on those tribe albums are not solely credited to him. Although Tip probably did most of the production on the first three tribe releases J Dilla and Ali Shaheed were certainly involved heavily on albums 4 and 5. I mean Dilla even did a couple of beats on Tip's classic solo album the Renaissance.

Outside of the Tribe albums Tip doesn't have the classics that Pete Rock has; so I think it's a bit of a reach to say Tip is easily better. Nevertheless Tip is one of the greats though.

you can't remove tribe from the convo and then try to argue that tip doesn't have enough classics. i'm guessing a lot of folks would argue tip >>> pete rock in large part because of tribe (specifically those ground-breaking first three albums).

that said, the stuff he did for mobb... the work he did for nas, craig mack, busta rhymes, the roots, kanye... his solo albums... that puts him ahead of pete too imo. shyt, tip co-produced singles for mariah carey (honey) AND whitney houston (fine). those two sold more albums in the 90s than everyone except celine dion and garth brooks.

skillz2

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you can't remove tribe from the convo and then try to argue that tip doesn't have enough classics. i'm guessing a lot of folks would argue tip >>> pete rock in large part because of tribe (specifically those ground-breaking first three albums).

that said, the stuff he did for mobb... the work he did for nas, craig mack, busta rhymes, the roots, kanye... his solo albums... that puts him ahead of pete too imo. shyt, tip co-produced singles for mariah carey (honey) AND whitney houston (fine). those two sold more albums in the 90s than everyone except celine dion and garth brooks.
Well Pete has the PR & CL albums, INI center of attention and the Soul Survivor solo - Pete did all the beats on those too, the work he did on these albums is just good as the tribe stuff imo. It is a long time ago but I'm not sure many people were putting Tip ahead Pete in 90s & 00s. Even Dilla seem to overtake Tip in peoples perception towards the end of 90s and into 00s. And other than that tribe album in 2016 Tip just hasn't seem to have done much recently.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any idea of what happened to "Trying" ? Has it been renamed for the album ? Might be bonus track on Vol.2 ? Sample clearance ?

Anything on that ?

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps

Im not a Dilla fan like that.. I actually dislike all the albums after the first 3 Tribe albums.. and its funny back then I didnt know it was Dilla. It used be labled The Unmah or some shyt.

But even Tip work on Mobb album was good as fuhk

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

This

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

Nah.

You need to go do some homework. Tip has a million classic beats that he's done not just for Tribe, but mad work outside of the group too. Dude is up there with Dre and Premier when it comes to his catalogue.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Nah.

You need to go do some homework. Tip has a million classic beats that he's done not just for Tribe, but mad work outside of the group too. Dude is up there with Dre and Premier when it comes to his catalogue.
funny you mention Dre..

LL said he has a whole completed album with Dre that he basically scrapped cuz he wasnt feeling it.

He clearly like this album with Tip better:ehh:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
funny you mention Dre..

LL said he has a whole completed album with Dre that he basically scrapped cuz he wasnt feeling it.

He clearly like this album with Tip better:ehh:

True! I remember him speaking on that with Questove on his podcast, lol.

But Busta said the same before too. He said if Tip put his name on everything he produced alone, and didn't always share the glory, he would be spoken about as much as Dre is. And Busta said this when he was signed to Dre! Tip ain't no joke. So when he first said he was working on this LL album, I was mad hype because I know what he does behind the boards. I think this album is gonna be crazy.

And Dre is my dude, but that "Zoom Zoom" sh*t he did for LL was trash.