Persona 5 Royal | PS4 | PC/PS5/SW/XSX/S,XBO 10/21/22

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

They've fixed some of the localization/translation in Royal too.

Some of the dialogue didn't make sense or was written weirdly in the original version.

I think this game should've came out at least this week. It coming out the 31st and less than 2 weeks later FFVII remake dropping.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:damn: The reviews for Royal is way higher than the original one.

persona.png

unknown.png

Metacritic (96) |
GamingBolt (10 / 10):
Taking a great game and making it even better, Persona 5 Royal is near perfect, and the definitive way of playing one of the greatest games ever made.

Meristation (10 / 10):
Persona 5 revalidates its crown with the Royal edition. Almost 40 hours of new content, changes to the entire game, new plot, new semester and new characters. A true masterpiece.

GAMINGbible (10 / 10):

All of these changes make Persona 5 Royal the definitive version of this title, for newcomers and veterans alike. There are more characters, more things to do and more time in-game to do it all. P-Studio have managed to take a near-perfect game in Persona 5 and elevate it to another level. It gets in your head like never before thanks to its refined blend of dungeon-crawling RPG action and satisfying high school simulator mechanics. In a year where Final Fantasy VII Remake is set to take the world by storm, the Persona series has done what it always does and produced something even better.

PlayStation LifeStyle (10 / 10):

The number one reason I am most excited about playing Persona 5 Royal (and I’m betting this is the same for you, too) is to woo my new waifu, Kasumi. I hope this game steals your heart all over again, just like it has mine.

Gameblog.fr (10 / 10):

Whether you played Persona 5 or not, Persona 5 Royal is simply a must play for everyone. There is more content with updated gameplay mechanics that make the game even more enjoyable than before. The new confidants add a new layer to Joker, deepening our understanding of its psyche and our immersion in the process. Persona 5 Royal is just better than a Persona 5 overhaul.
RPG Site (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal isn’t just my favorite Atlus re-release, it might just be my new favorite Atlus game of all time.

Noisy Pixel (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is everything I could want out of a re-release. The game's style and charm shine brightest in this version as it made an already great game even better. The balances and new additions were based on long-time fan criticisms, and it's evident that the developers used it as a foundation to update this adventure while still throwing in some quality-of-life changes that I didn't know the game needed, but ended up loving anyway.

TheSixthAxis (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a stunning game that takes something which has already captured millions of hearts and makes it even better. This is the quintessential Persona experience. If you're new to the franchise, this game is for you. If you're a seasoned veteran, there is enough new and improved content that this game is still for you.

Vandal (10 / 10):
Royal is much more than we expected. It’s an absolutely incredible game reaching perfection, improving on everything. On top of that, it comes localized, so the language barrier is not a barrier anymore.

God is a Geek (10 / 10):
For those that have already enjoyed the original game, this is a fan’s dream, with everything you could wish for and more, with nearly every aspect improved upon. A spellbinding videogame, and one that deserves to be spoken about in reverential terms for many years to come.

Attack of the Fanboy (10 / 10):
By most accounts Persona 5 didn't do much wrong. While most games that achieve the critical success of P5 would rest at that job well done, Atlus has continued to further refine their masterpiece into something even better. Persona 5 Royal is proof that even the best games can be made better by acknowledging shortcomings and addressing them, however small they are.

Slant Magazine (10 / 10):
The game speaks in specific and effective ways to the sheer exhaustion of living in perpetual strife, even while delivering the catharsis of standing together against turmoil, even surviving it.

GamesFinest (10 / 10):
Persona 5' was rightly praised three years ago with loud hymns of praise. This royal update puts the crown on one of the best JRPGs of the last years. Atlus has consistently honed the few edges and quirks of their fantastic role-playing game and refreshed the gaming experience with countless, useful innovations and comfort decisions. The interesting new additions to the character set fit so homogeneously into the plot that I often caught myself thinking that they had always been part of the story. Moreover, the first-time implementation of German screen texts finally breaks the language barrier, which kept many players at a distance despite their interest. This now opens the door to a fantastic roleplaying game for new players and I can only emphasize: if you can do something with the staging, hit it. And if not, at least take a look at it, because all the praise for Atlus' wacky adventure about students stealing the hearts of depraved people in their spare time is more than justified.
 All Persona 5 veterans, however, must consider whether the new features are worth diving into the metaverse once again for countless hours. Anyway, I was amazed how quickly 'Royal' managed to tie me up and bring me back into the world of Persona 5. The many meaningful and affectionate innovations once again sparked my old passion for Atlus' sensational roleplaying game

Everyeye.it (9.8 / 10):

If you are looking for a JRPG unique and phenomenal, which can make you reflect on delicate very current issues and even enrich your cultural background with countless notions on the always fascinating Japanese culture, Persona 5 Royal can only be the definitive answer to your needs, whether you are aware of it or not.

Hobby Consolas (9.7 / 10):
If Persona 5 was a diamond, the Royal version, with a gigantic amount of changes and improvements, is the treasure of the palace. The spanish localization is the gold that covers it all, and the final detail that makes it a truly invaluable gem for any thief, new or veteran.

Multiplayer.it (9.6 / 10):
The best version of a masterpiece is... a masterpiece once again. It is also a joy to play in 4K.

SpazioGames (9.6 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is the best version of one of the best JRPGs of all time. And it adds subtitles support for many new languages. These should be reasons enough to go out and buy it ASAP.

IGN Italia (9.5 / 10):
Hugely enriching its original formula, Persona 5 Royal is a must-have JRPG, but also a great game for anyone wanting to discover a new genre.

PlayStation Universe (9.5 / 10):
Persona 5: Royal is the definitive Persona 5 experience. Atlus has refined the already excellent base game, trimming the rigid, sharp edges and creating a smoother experience filled with new and interesting activities, characters, story moments, and even an entirely new palace and optional ending to the game. Persona 5: Royal is one of the best JRPG's on PS4 for both new and returning players.
GamePro Germany (9.2 / 10):

Quotation forthcoming.

Twinfinite (9 / 10):
The additions introduced in Royal allow Persona 5 to become the excellent JRPG it was always truly meant to be, and it's a wonderful effort that will surely be appreciated by fans.

Hardcore Gamer (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a shining beam of light for the JRPG genre and one you won’t want to put down despite its massive time commitment.

Press Start Australia (9 / 10):
The gist of it is though; this is more than just a few updates slapped on top of an existing game, it's a complete rethinking of the major and minor components that made the original what it was. For Persona 5 megafans who are ready to play through the game again, Royal is a very compelling package that more than justifies the double dip, and for curious newcomers it's an absolute no-brainer.

Stevivor (9 / 10):
I'm not sure I'd recommend Royal to those who've just finished Persona 5. Even with homophobic scenes cut here in the west, and gun ammo refilling after single battles, it's ultimately still the same (long!) game with a little more to do. Though if you're a fan of JRPGs and didn't get into Persona 5 yet, than Royal is a no-brainer.
DualShockers (9/10):
If you never got around to playing vanilla Persona 5, then Persona 5 Royal is now the perfect starting point. Filled with a plethora of new story and gameplay content to go along with all of the DLC from the original, this is without a doubt the definitive edition.
Eurogamer Italy (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal improves the original, phenomenal Atlus JRPG in every possible way. Perfection now is just one step away.
CGMagazine (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal takes an already stellar game and reinvigorates it with content that is sure to please both fans of the original and those playing the game for the first time.
Digitally Downloaded (9 / 10):
Persona 5 is a really great game, so when I say that it pales in comparison to its predecessor, it is important to remember that I'm saying that it's only mildly inferior to one of the greatest games of all time. Persona 5's bloat and thematic step backwards are issues, but the raw gameplay is so enjoyable, and the characters so vibrant and well-written, that I haven't minded having the excuse to play through the bloat again. Not by any means.
We Got This Covered (9.0 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal offers so many changes to the core game that it feels fresh, all while keeping its original charm and style. With a brand new story arc and characters, as well as combat mechanics and updates to the social aspects, it's without a doubt the definitive way to play Persona 5.

IGN Japan (8.9 / 10):
While some of its new story feels unnecessary, and players who have already beaten the original will have to go through the dungeons all over again to access the new content, this is still one of the best RPGs of the current generation.
Famitsu (37 / 40)

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Guide: Persona 5 Royal New Changes - All Differences Compared to Persona 5

What's New in Persona 5 Royal?

Below, we've categorised all of the changes in Persona 5 Royal when compared to Persona 5. There are new features, gameplay adjustments, and quality of life improvements, as well as smaller, more general alterations.

New Content in Persona 5 Royal
  • New party member named Kasumi
  • An entirely new school semester has been added, expanding the story alongside a new Palace
  • The new 'Thieves Den' feature lets you visit a huge room full of unlockable bonus content at any time through the pause menu. You can use in-game currency to unlock things like artwork, character models, cutscenes, and music
  • A number of brand new animated story cutscenes
  • A whole new location called Kichijoji is yours to explore, and it's bigger than any other real world location in the game
  • Kichijoji has a club that you can visit with party members, opening up new social and bonding events
  • Kichijoji's club features a darts minigame that enhances the effects of baton pass for each character
  • Kichijoji has a jazz bar that can grant party members level ups and stat boosts
  • Two brand new confidants with their own perks
  • Akechi's social link route has been completely overhauled, slots differently into the story
  • Some confidants (particularly party members) have additional social scenes
  • New events, such as holidays and additional character scenes, have been added to the calendar
  • New Personas
  • New third form for each party member's Persona
  • New enemies
  • New weapons
  • New armour
  • New accessories
  • New items
  • Two new story endings
Gameplay Additions in Persona 5 Royal
  • The Phantom Thieves now have powerful 'Showtime' attacks -- basically tag-team super moves
  • All Palaces have been reworked to some degree, although largely they remain the same in terms of layout
  • Some Palaces have completely new areas
  • Joker now has a grappling hook that lets you access new areas in dungeons
  • The grappling hook often leads to secret locations that house 'Will Seeds' -- there are three Will Seeds to find in each Palace
  • Each time you find all three Will Seeds in a Palace, you'll be rewarded with a unique accessory
  • Will Seeds also restore a bit of the party's SP
  • All Palace bosses have been reworked in some way, either with additional mechanics or phases
  • Some Palaces now have additional boss-like enemies and encounters
  • Mementos, the randomised dungeon that you can visit when you have free time, has been expanded quite significantly -- floors can be bigger and there's more room for exploration in general
  • Mementos now has a shop that sells exclusive goods in exchange for 'flowers' -- collectables that you find while exploring
  • A new 'stamp' system has been added to Mementos. Stamps can be found on each floor, and you can spend them on three different bonuses: more exp, more money, and more items. Once activated, these bonuses are permanent, unless you decide to reset them
  • There are new side quests to complete in Mementos
  • Rare, more powerful shadows can now appear both in Palaces and Mementos
  • The Velvet Room now offers special optional battles that you can take part in for various rewards (this is also where DLC battles take place)
  • The Velvet Room can now go into a random 'alarm' mode, which powers up persona fusion, but may also result in unexpected fusion results
Gameplay Adjustments in Persona 5 Royal (Dungeons and Combat)
  • Ammo now restocks after battle, making guns way more valuable across dungeon runs
  • Some Personas have been rebalanced both in terms of stats and available skills
  • Some enemies have been rebalanced both in terms of stats and available skills
  • The baton pass mechanic has been expanded and is available to all party members from the beginning
Gameplay Adjustments in Persona 5 Royal (Everyday Life)
  • The calendar has been reworked in places, allowing for more free time and additional opportunities to interact with your confidants
  • Morgana doesn't tell you to go to bed quite so much -- you generally get a lot more free time at night, even if you can't leave Leblanc
  • 'Assist' mechanic gives you recommendations on which confidant to visit and which stat to improve
  • Some confidants have reworked perks
Other Additions in Persona 5 Royal
  • Graphical enhancements on PS4 Pro
  • New opening movie
  • New main menu screen
  • New dialogue text font in the localised release
  • Some dialogue windows have new visual effects
  • New and additional character portraits in conversations
  • Around 30 new music tracks
  • New weather effects have been added depending on the time of year in-game
  • A completely new Trophy list, separate from Persona 5's

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Looks like I can finally see what the hype is about...

After FF7 and trials of mana

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Looks like I can finally see what the hype is about...

After FF7 and trials of mana
Persona 5 is easily the JRPG of the gen imo. I think only FFVII Remake can stand with it. Everything else this gen has been just good/alright but none imo have hit that height.

The feeling when you get to the last boss and this song comes on specifically at 1:23 fits SO well with the visual it's gives me goosebumps.

Whoever did the scene deserves a raise it went perfectly with everything.

P8n5.gif

Not to mention the other songs :wow:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Persona 5 is easily the JRPG of the gen imo. I think only FFVII Remake can stand with it. Everything else this gen has been just good/alright but none imo have hit that height.

The feeling when you get to the last boss and this song comes on specifically at 1:23 fits SO well with the visual it's gives me goosebumps.

P8n5.gif

I'm actually really looking forward to it, I've heard the same from a bunch of big rpg fans, I've been putting this off since they announced there would be a deluxe edition.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London

P8n5.gif

"Be Gone :birdman:"

Sinful Shell :wow:

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London

As for the dialogue options you have in response to Ryuji's predicament, the original game lets you say the following lines:

• "So this is Shinjuku..."
  • "You're so popular."
  • "Show them your inner man."
In P5R, your dialogue choices have changed to the following options:

• "Can't blow our cover."
  • "But you're a natural."
  • "Knock 'em dead."

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
Def the best JRPG of this gen but I still roll my eyes at the scores it gets. It's not a classic like that.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
This about to be the first persona game I play ,
Looming forward to it :takedat:

What about persona do people like the most? Gameplay or story?