Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

Prince Luchini

Stay dolo so thorough
Daps
Hashino did an interview recently stating that persona 5 was originally going to be a "finding your self" journey. The mc would run away from school and go across the world. The 2011 tsunami made him recant that idea because Japan had changed after that. They also experimented with action based combat but decided not to because they had little experience in that field.

This is very interesting I hope they can bring that backpacking theme in another game if they don't do it for P6 maybe a new smt spinoff or one off like catherine.:leon: That last one sound like they need to holla at platinum for a P5 spinoff. Just the thought of P5 style and swag mixed with platinums character action combat sound like pure piffery.:ohlawd:

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This game is shaping up to not only dethrone Persona 4 Golden which is already a feat imo because my expectations were sky high but this is shaping up to be a classic game period overall outside of JRPGs.

This game is soo good man. and I have barely seen anything. The dungeons are so so much better, it's crazy.

Everything so far is better than Persona 4 Golden(battle system, dungeons, presentation, activities, characters) and I'm barely 20 hours into the game and some folks have reported hearing the game takes 80hours to beat and the guy who beat it at 80 hours skipped the dialogues because they don't understand JPN. The presenation makes a big difference. Seeing the characters true size in game, the slick ass menus and camera cuts, it's just great. The story is interesting so far yet I can say I only understand about say 60-70% of what's going on?? I'm sure my second run I'll have an even better comprehension and then the english release will be even better.

:blessed:

I'm about to close this thread. I hate you.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Quick review by someone who finished it:
As I posted, I finished Persona 5 on Saturday night. I played on Hard and clocked in at 133 hours. The inflated play time is due in large part to the fact I streamed 95% of my play time and I translated as I did that. So you can knock off like 50 hours from that.

There’s so much to talk about in the game that it’s hard to figure out where to start. I think the first thing is the fact that it is one of the most polished games I’ve ever played. The development team took their experiences with the two prior Persona games and really refined their ideas to bring out the best in them. The game that it reminds me of greatly is The Witcher 3. Both games present the best each respective series offers and the amount of effort and thought put into them is very much apparent.

The gameplay is absolutely the best the series has to offer so far. They’ve added a lot to combat to make it a much more enjoyable experience. Of the things they added, I feel like Baton Touch is the game changer. It in essence gives the game a feel a little closer to Press Turn while still being One More. You’re able to give other members the ability to take action after a down. It gives attack and healing bonuses too so making good use of it really opens up how you fight. When you combine this with the new elements and spells, there are a lot more things to consider as you play than before. It’s not only in combat that gameplay is improved though. The game has two types of dungeons so you have something whether you’re a P3 or P4 fan. In addition, the Cooperations (Social Links in previous games) provide a ton of benefits outside of just persona fusion bonuses making them all useful to playing the game. They’ve even polished this aspect out by laying out Cooperations in a much more even manner meaning that you’ll have things to do both at night and during the day. You won’t have to do everything during the day.

They also show how much they learned on the story and characters front. In my opinion, this is the best Persona game for both of those. The story is well written and well plotted. It never drags and never fails to be engaging. One that really struck out about the writing is that it feels like the writers grew up and knew the problems with the previous games. Persona 3, which I adore, definitely has an edge or overdramatic feel to a lot of its writing. Persona 4 leans too much on its tropes. In Persona 5, it feels natural and the interaction between the cast and their actions in the story feel much more real, for lack of a better word. The thematic elements, messages, and imagery remain consistent and on point throughout. The game is also dark. Persona 3 is dark but in a very abstract way (imagery, mood, etc) where Persona 5 is dark because it’s very tangible and heavy. The first story in the game will surprise a lot of people that play it.
Persona 5’s characters are in a place similar to the writing. They’re not overdramatic as Persona 3 nor are they overly trope-y like Persona 4. It really takes the strengths of both prior games and combines them. The characters have their own individual problems they deal with but they aren’t weighed down by them. Their interactions feel natural and their chemistry is really good. There are few canned gags/routines but is used with restraint. It also really helps that the Cooperations also manage to really flesh out the character’s overall arc through the game while still being fun at the same time. This can be said of the non-party member Cooperations as well. They flesh out the characters amazingly well, much better than the previous games, and are still feel fun. Their integration into the main story is very well done to boot, creating a much more cohesive product.

On the sound front, the music is absolutely fantastic. Their decision to go with jazz as the main influence was absolutely perfect. There are a ton of great tracks and I think it’ll hold up much better than the prior games in the long run. However, what I really want to praise is the voice acting in the Japanese version. Most VAing in Japan is pretty standard stuff. It all really blends together after a while. Persona 5 avoids this by having their cast really step it up. There’s a lot more emotion and nuance to the VA work than what I’ve seen form other titles. When combined with the writing, the VA work really makes some scenes have a real impact to them. Even for the veteran actors in the group, it’s just a whole other level of work in this game.

I’ve heaped a lot of praise on the game but I do have a few problems with the game. The graphics could be a little better, particularly the textures. It’s pretty good overall and oozes style but the signs and the like are really awful looking. Another problem is that the shop menus and the party menu are overdesigned at times, reducing the overall usability. They look great but there are sometimes too many things flying around or it’s annoying to read because of the layout. Some of the sound effects that play when you press buttons or do some things are also really annoying as well. The game also as few problems due to the structure. It’s not a huge deal but it’s something that obviously

In the end though, that stuff is sort of minor. The game itself manages to nail everything else. After beating the game, I feel that the game is good enough to make it on my top games of all-time list pretty easily. It’s so good that it actually makes me a little worried about whether or not they can live up to the expectations they’ve set for themselves if and when they decide to do a Persona 6.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Game is selling well in JPN.

It's the best selling Atlus game in 30 years.

437,929 copies (including the PS3 and PS4 versions together) have been sold-through, from September 15 to October 2, 2016.

Persona 5 Is Now the Best Selling Release in Atlus History, in Japan

It's WELL deserved. This game is fukking good so far. 33 hours in and it's just getting better and better.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I definitely like the theme of Persona 4 better than 5. The suppression of people's dark sides was more appealing to me than what they have here which seems like people's emotions running out of control and becoming monsters inside of them. One is more like this is a part of me I rejected and my rejection empowers it and the other is like a person is feeling themselves too much and it becomes a monster in them. When in Persona 4 you defeated that monster the person became better for it. Here it seems like defeating the monster left the person broken.
That's because almost every person whose shadow you fought were eventually party members in Persona 4. Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie, Kanji, Naoto, Rise/Teddy, Marie(p4G). There's pretty much only 2 people whom don't change but then again they're actual bosses of the game.

Persona 5 doesn't do that. Also the people whom you do fight in Persona change but not in a left broken state.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:ld: Atlus needs to provide dual audio for their games. The voice acting sounds so much better and realer in Japanese than this English dub but this is just a snippet. The lines sound off in English(Ryuuji sounds like a damn kid) here.
The English cast is solid from what I see. Other than the poor man's Troy Baker And Cassandra Morris it's a bunch of up and comers who have had a few roles I've found impressive.
You've got Sorey from Tales of Zestiria
Misty from Trails of Cold Steel
Christo and Majorita from Disgaea 5
Kyoko from Danganronpa
Sophie from Tales of Graces
Kanji (#2) from Persona 4

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The English cast is solid from what I see. Other than the poor man's Troy Baker And Cassandra Morris it's a bunch of up and comers who have had a few roles I've found impressive.
You've got Sorey from Tales of Zestiria
Misty from Trails of Cold Steel
Christo and Majorita from Disgaea 5
Kyoko from Danganronpa
Sophie from Tales of Graces
Kanji (#2) from Persona 4
I don't reaally know any of these characters. I'm just going off how some of the lines sounded hearing them already in Japanese which are excellent.